Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone towed any SxS with their outback? I have a 2017 2.5 outback. I purchased a Can Am Maverick x3 which weighs roughly 1500 lbs, the trailer weighs around 600 lbs for a total of 2100 lbs roughly. The Subaru's towing capacity is 2700 lbs. I would mainly be towing around 250 mi on mostly flat land in Wisconsin <5 times a year. Would this be okay or should i reconsider?

·
Registered
2019 3.6R Limited, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
37 Posts
Well, you do come in below the rated towing capacity. Does your trailer have brakes? Wisconsin law does not require trailer brakes unless the trailer and load exceed 3000 lbs. Since you state that you are towing on flat land, you should be ok, but if the trailer is equipped with brakes, you might consider setting up a brake controller. Search these forums for more details.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,739 Posts
I'd go for it.
Just be aware the OB will be working harder with the extra weight and wind resistance. The CVT will stay in a lower ratio causing the engine to spin at a higer rpm. It's not necessarily hurting anything other than gas mileage. So that's 3+ hours each way of driving like that. If you find you don't like it, then consider doing something else.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Outback (green)
259 Posts
Be sure to check (for real, not on paper) your tongue weight with the setup you'll be running.

Rule of thumb for stable towing is that tongue weight is 10% of towed weight. Tongue weight limit (as I recall) for Gen 5 Outback is 200#.

So if you're going above gross weight limit and keep within tongue weight limit, you'll be compromising stability.

Real world anecdata for you (worth what you paid): I took a 1200mi trip recently with 2200# gross and 200# tongue. Stability was reasonable. And we wrung it out going from San Jose to Las Vegas to AZ to Death Valley, Mt. Whitney then back home. 3.6R though. Not sure how it might be diff for 2.5 from a stability standpoint.

Will be going lighter next time.

Jason

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
148 Posts
I recommend trailer brakes. The manual states above 1,000 pounds, you need trailer brakes. After getting pushed downhill by an 800 pound trailer, I could tell the brakes were close to their limits. Even on flat ground, your stopping distances will be greater than you are used to. If you can get a trailer with brakes, you should do OK.

·
Registered
2019 3.6R Limited, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
37 Posts
Last Summer, I towed an approximately 1500 lbs (loaded) pop-up trailer at highway speeds on hilly terrain. That trailer did not have brakes and I could feel the push while traveling downhill. Some of the long, steep grades had me concerned to say the least. We have recently purchased a larger trailer, with a gross vehicle weight of 2500 lbs. I towed it home, about 30 miles on flat, highway conditions, without a braking system connected. Since the 'new' trailer has brakes, so I am setting a brake controller to ensure safe towing conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts