Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one has bought a nice shiny Electric Vehicle from either Toyota or Subaru which share components. The Toyota bZ4X and the Subaru Solterra which is built on the same electric platform have a problem.

The wheels (yes the wheels) can fall off.

"In a document filed with Japan’s road transport bureau, the carmaker said (translated from Japanese): “In the hub bolt that attaches the tire, the bolt can loosen due to repeated sharp turns and sudden braking."

OUCH. You brake too hard and the wheel falls off...

Maybe someone forgot which way the bolt was supposed to be tight.

Toyota and Subaru recall new EVs due to risk wheels could fall off
The article is from "The Driven" an Australian publication.

Just another crazy issue for EV's.

It could be worse, the wheels fall off and then the battery goes BOOM!

The "document" link will take you to the Japanese website, but the diagram shows that it is the wheel nuts being the problem.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
1,069 Posts
A new marketing slogan for the bZ4X and Solterra, "at least, our new EV doesn't set your garage on fire."

·
Premium Member
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In an update to the thread, Toyota has gone on the record that they will do a COMPLETE buyback of all EVs. However, there is also a caveat. Toyota with its bZ4X was offering a $5000 credit and prospective buyers are canceling in droves, on the Subaru side of things with the Solterra they have not yet gone that route. Subaru has yet to issue any directives.

And so Multi-Alarm fires will now start yet again... 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒 🚒

You can read more about the nuttiness here...

Of course, the quick fix would be a LOT of Gorilla Glue...

Toyota Doing a Buyback. Will Subaru Follow Also?

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
501 Posts
Subaru has not officially sold any Solterras to a customer yet.

Training was still ongoing, my manager was at a training day in Ontario and while he was there a Subaru VIP came in and told them that all the Solterras have been grounded! He didn't even get to test drive one! Lol

Luckily I did get to drive one when I went to training before this all went down but as of yet, I have not heard anything on the service side of when they are being released.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
10,098 Posts
So what's coming loose? The lug nuts or the hub?
Autoweek said that the hub is improperly designed, and also that the lug nuts have a tendency to come off.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but it's the best response so far that I could find out there that isn't being hyped up with superfluous information.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,727 Posts
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Automotive parking light

Google Translate:

The hub bolt that attaches the tire may loosen due to repeated sharp turns or sudden braking. As a result, if the vehicle continues to run in this state, abnormal noise will be generated, and in the worst case, the tires may fall off. Details of improvement As a temporary measure, we will ask users to stop using all vehicles.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
501 Posts
The one thing all commented on at the training was the fact that the Solterras use lug "bolts" akin to Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi etc.

Nobody in the class liked that lol, why they didn't just stick to the stud and lug nut design nobody knows!

Actually, it's because the Solterra isn't even a Subaru, it's a Toyota with a Subaru badge lol.

Now we know how the Toyota techs feel having to work on the GT86 with a boxer engine! :LOL:

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,727 Posts
It is an odd choice since lug nuts if they fall off still at least leave the studs in the holes for whatever it's worth, compared to leaving nothing behind.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,915 Posts
updated thread title.

and I wish we could get some thing better than lug nuts, or lug bolts,...maybe something safe from racing will appear on regular cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts