Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I pick up a new to me 2012 OutBack Ltd in 2 days, and will be doing a wheel/tire swap. I'm going to install my winter tires and wheels from my 07 OBW Ltd onto the new ride. They do not and never had a TPMS.

I suspect that until I install the 2012's original tires and wheels (10 000 miles on car and tires) that the TPMS light will always be on or flashing. Am I correct?

Is there a TPMS fuse I can pull until the original wheels/tires go on in the spring?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
The quick fix is to cut a little square of black electrical tape and paste it on the plastic gauge cover directly in line between your eyes and the light.

At night there is a little light reflection around it but it isn't at all troublesome, tho your passenger may say "what is that flashing light?" It might bother you if you were on a long night time road trip..... try it and see how you do.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys! I just came home with the new ride tonight, and as expected, the TPMS light did its thing all the way home. I've checked the fuse panels and there is no single fuse for the TPMS.

I think I'll try to locate the TPMS receiver and disconnect it until its time to put the original tires and wheels back on in the spring.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Gentlemen,

I pick up a new to me 2012 OutBack Ltd in 2 days, and will be doing a wheel/tire swap. I'm going to install my winter tires and wheels from my 07 OBW Ltd onto the new ride. They do not and never had a TPMS.

I suspect that until I install the 2012's original tires and wheels (10 000 miles on car and tires) that the TPMS light will always be on or flashing. Am I correct?

Is there a TPMS fuse I can pull until the original wheels/tires go on in the spring?
You should probably just get a second set of sensors or live with the light. Also, did you put the wheels on yourself or did you have a shop swap them out? If a shop just did it, that means they had no qualms about breaking federal law and I would probably avoid them in the future...

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
The fed doesn't state that TPMS has to be installed in aftermarket wheels. It's mandated for OE installation and toward the manufacturers not the aftermarket. And since he swapped the OE wheels for another set, no problem.

If you have different info that would make an aftermarket supplier liable, please post it.

·
Registered
18,723 Posts
gbhrps:

You're in Canada. TPMS is not required by federal law here. See: Ask TC Road Safety - Transport Canada

I'm also not aware of Ontario provincial legislation requiring it, and there's nothing on the Subaru Canada website that indicates Subaru Canada is "voluntarily" installing TMPS in cars marketed here (as is mentioned in the above link page).

Did you import your Outback from the U.S.? Or, if the car is used, is it an import? If so, then there's warranty service and claim implications you should know about.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
The fed doesn't state that TPMS has to be installed in aftermarket wheels. It's mandated for OE installation and toward the manufacturers not the aftermarket. And since he swapped the OE wheels for another set, no problem.

If you have different info that would make an aftermarket supplier liable, please post it.
The liability goes on the shop. In the law that was written, a shop cannot legally disable a vehicle's TPMS if it entered the shop with it working. Now, I'm not sure about Canada, I am talking about US Federal Law. If you install them yourself, fine. But I know where I work if your vehicle is supposed to have TPMS and your aftermarket wheels do not have sensors, we have to refuse service.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Down boys!

It is an imported US car, and I instructed the dealer to put the winter tires and rims from my traded in 07 onto the 2012, and put its original tires and wheels in the back of the car.

Regardless whether Canada has laws one way or the other, the decision was mine, and I'll take any consequences, which there doesn't appear to be at present.

That said, I pulled all of them today and rebalanced them in the shop where I sometimes work when I'm bored. So I guess I'm guilty times two. No big deal. I'm still going to try and track down that TPMS receiver and disconnect it until I put the original tires back on.

By the way, the car was originally from Pennsylvania, a staff car for some professor at a university or similar. The CarProof came up clean.

Thanks for everyone's input! Much appreciated.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I'm still going to try and track down that TPMS receiver and disconnect it until I put the original tires back on.
You can go ahead and try if you want to....

I suspect that after unplugging, you will find the light is illuminated constantly, indicating a fault in the system. It's not designed to be easy to disable; if it were, there would be an On/ Off switch within easy reach.....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John E Davies,

Now that I think about it, you may well be correct. Darn!

I may take a crack at seeing how much is involved in pulling the combination meter forward out of the dash, far enough to pull the TPMS light bulb out. I've done many, many dashes over the years to change out bulbs, gauges, speedometer cables, etc., so it won't be my first time.

It may prove easy enough that I'll just do this twice a year when I change over the tires. We retired guys have too much time on our hands. Many Thanks!

·
Registered
18,723 Posts
I may take a crack at seeing how much is involved in pulling the combination meter forward out of the dash, far enough to pull the TPMS light bulb out.
All the lights are surface-mount LEDs soldered to the combination meter printed circuit board. Each is about 1/8-inch square and not at all simple to remove without risk of damage to the board.

They really don't want you playing with the warning lights, do they?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the problem with new technology and the continuing advances it makes on everything. You get used to handling a problem one way and they change it on you so you have to do something new the next time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the advances, but not when they make it so you have to drop 4 times the money than what its worth. Thanks for the input!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts