Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Light came on. Filled all tires to proper pressures but light remains on. Is there a way to reset it or could this be a malfunction of sorts? It should reset on its own. This started when temps dropped below zero.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
How old is the car?

My 05 toyota started having cold related tpms complaints as the batteries in the tire sensors started to fail. After two yrs of cold complaints they died completely. The tpms light has been on for a few yrs now. Lol

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Whats your tire pressure? Below freezing temps can drop tire pressure a good 5psi easily. I found the TPMS triggers around 28psi. They dont mesure psi they simply trigger when it reaches the low threshold.

·
Premium Member
2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
220 Posts
Light came on. Filled all tires to proper pressures but light remains on. Is there a way to reset it or could this be a malfunction of sorts? It should reset on its own. This started when temps dropped below zero.
The light should come on in a 2016 for only 3 reasons:

1. One or more tires have pressure too low (<~28 PSI).
  2. One or more tires have pressure too high (>~40 PSI).
  3. One or more sensors in the wheels are not in contact with the receiver.

Assuming you are confident about the pressures, it could be one or more sensor batteries that are dropping to a low voltage in the extreme cold. Any TPMS scan tool like an Autel TS401 should be able to tell you the readings and battery state of each individual sensor.

You have to drive the car. It will shut off soon after.
T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶o̶r̶m̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶l̶e̶e̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶s̶o̶r̶.̶ ̶O̶n̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶o̶c̶c̶a̶s̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶f̶i̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶N̶o̶ ̶p̶o̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶y̶c̶l̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶q̶u̶i̶r̶e̶d̶.̶

Good luck to the OP.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
19 Posts
On my 2015 every time I had a low tire warning I would add air. The light would shut off only after driving the car. This is confirmed in the owners manual 3-18. It states the vehicle must be driven 20mph to reset the light after tire presure has been changed. Maybe 2016 is different.

·
Premium Member
2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
220 Posts
etep may be right. I realized after writing this that my rims have aftermarket TPMS sensors and my car was reprogrammed to read them. The stock sensors may indeed behave as the manual indicates, requiring a drive at greater than 20 MPH to re-read the pressure. My aftermarket sensors read continuously. Just last week during our first real cold snap my light came on. I pulled into a parking lot and aired up my tires with my portable compressor. The light was off when I got back in the car, no driving required. I've had these sensors since my car was 3 months old and I forgot the way the originals worked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts