Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Outback Limited
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TPMS warning light started coming on about a month ago. Checked all tires and adjusted accordingly as the tire pressure was above the recommended PSI. This didn’t fix issue. Took it to dealership and was told they found an error code and it was “probably” due to an aftermarket wireless charger I bought. It’s a cheap one that just connects to USB port. Disconnected it and they told me it should go away. Well the very next day the warning light came on and now I am not getting any readings on the tires. The warning light no longer comes on but no readings. Going back this week. Car only has 600 miles on it. Not impressed with my first Subaru.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT / Nappa brown interior
169 Posts
This is our second one, the first was a 2010 Legacy we got in 2009. That was flawless for the 10 years we owned it. After buying this Touring (275 miles on it now ) seeing all of these problems makes me worried. I have no problem dumping a vehicle to keep my sanity, but I also want to give them a chance to make things right first.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,670 Posts
My TPMS warning light started coming on about a month ago. Checked all tires and adjusted accordingly as the tire pressure was above the recommended PSI. This didn’t fix issue. Took it to dealership and was told they found an error code and it was “probably” due to an aftermarket wireless charger I bought. It’s a cheap one that just connects to USB port. Disconnected it and they told me it should go away. Well the very next day the warning light came on and now I am not getting any readings on the tires. The warning light no longer comes on but no readings. Going back this week. Car only has 600 miles on it. Not impressed with my first Subaru.
Another member had a similar problem and in the end, it was a defective battery in the TPMS sensor in one of the wheels. The TPMS sensors aren't made by Subaru - these issues happen across brands as they typically share suppliers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is our second one, the first was a 2010 Legacy we got in 2009. That was flawless for the 10 years we owned it. After buying this Touring (275 miles on it now ) seeing all of these problems makes me worried. I have no problem dumping a vehicle to keep my sanity, but I also want to give them a chance to make things right first.
Dumping the vehicle as in taking the negative equity into something else? I’m also considering the same. My previous vehicle was a Grand Cherokee Overland and I miss it more than I could have imagined.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another member had a similar problem and in the end, it was a defective battery in the TPMS sensor in one of the wheels. The TPMS sensors aren't made by Subaru - these issues happen across brands as they typically share suppliers.
Thank you, I will look into this.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,094 Posts
TPMS battery comes to mind followed by TPMS unit. The Japanese equipment suppliers I worked with kept their suppliers on their toes. They used SPC to monitor their suppliers and required suppliers to monitor their process with SPC. Once in a while something, LN2, slips through and they have unhappy customer(s). After studying CR vehicle data for years I came to a conclusion I was going to see electrical issues emerge as the number one issue with most new vehicles. The electrical problems with BMW X3 & X5 were one of the reasons I didn't choose one of them.

Bottom line, don't give up so easily. You have a dealer that looks for anything different and then uses it, without justification, to blame for your problems . Just take out all non OEM equipment when going for service or use another dealer.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
399 Posts
Carlos b, Let me know if you get anywhere with your retailer. I have had mine in twice and they have not been able to find the issue. I actually had it go off as I left the last time and circled back and they got the codes off the TPMS system to have a general registration error. the contacted the tech line and they state there are no other reports. They did a hard reset the system and had been quiet for a little bit (but COVID, so have not been driving much) and it is back again.
After doing some research and confirmations with Subaru techs, The TPMS system is not a Subaru system. They are made for all USDM cars by a couple of companies to conform to US laws. To make the system universal to work in all makes of cars, they had to make compromises. One big one is that the system only holds a bit that shows there was an error. and it is just a bit flip, so it is a yes/no. So they can see there was an error, but cannot see what it was unless it is actively having an issue.
So this will make the diagnosis very difficult because if it is not active when the tech looks at, they can't see why. I do not have any other electronics other than my phone connected via USB for android auto, so it cannot be that. I had the same issue with a qi charger in my Forester and Prior outback. So I can see why they said what they said. I was able to isolate the wireless charger in those with a good power inverter and some RF shielding around the compartment I had it in.

SilverOny, do you have the link to the thread on the other member's issue? I would like to bring it with me next time I go in.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TPMS battery comes to mind followed by TPMS unit. The Japanese equipment suppliers I worked with kept their suppliers on their toes. They used SPC to monitor their suppliers and required suppliers to monitor their process with SPC. Once in a while something, LN2, slips through and they have unhappy customer(s). After studying CR vehicle data for years I came to a conclusion I was going to see electrical issues emerge as the number one issue with most new vehicles. The electrical problems with BMW X3 & X5 were one of the reasons I didn't choose one of them.

Bottom line, don't give up so easily. You have a dealer that looks for anything different and then uses it, without justification, to blame for your problems . Just take out all non OEM equipment when going for service or use another dealer.
Thanks for the insight. I didn't expect to have an issue so quickly. I had always heard of Subaru's good reputation. I will keep pushing though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carlos b, Let me know if you get anywhere with your retailer. I have had mine in twice and they have not been able to find the issue. I actually had it go off as I left the last time and circled back and they got the codes off the TPMS system to have a general registration error. the contacted the tech line and they state there are no other reports. They did a hard reset the system and had been quiet for a little bit (but COVID, so have not been driving much) and it is back again.
After doing some research and confirmations with Subaru techs, The TPMS system is not a Subaru system. They are made for all USDM cars by a couple of companies to conform to US laws. To make the system universal to work in all makes of cars, they had to make compromises. One big one is that the system only holds a bit that shows there was an error. and it is just a bit flip, so it is a yes/no. So they can see there was an error, but cannot see what it was unless it is actively having an issue.
So this will make the diagnosis very difficult because if it is not active when the tech looks at, they can't see why. I do not have any other electronics other than my phone connected via USB for android auto, so it cannot be that. I had the same issue with a qi charger in my Forester and Prior outback. So I can see why they said what they said. I was able to isolate the wireless charger in those with a good power inverter and some RF shielding around the compartment I had it in.

SilverOny, do you have the link to the thread on the other member's issue? I would like to bring it with me next time I go in.
Mines no longer shows the TPMS warning light but the four tires on the display are highlighted orange with no readings. That was the issue last time when I went to dealer it was working properly. I am going back this afternoon. Let's see what happens. thanks!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,670 Posts
This is the post with the diagnostic:

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper White
467 Posts
^Thanks SO!

Yeah, I went thru this very early on.The fix is to find which TPMS sensor battery is bad and replace it. Now, it is imperative you drive to your Subaru service when the error occurs - do not switch off the engine otherwise when you restart, the error codes are cleared.

I have not had any issues since. Car drives like a dream and sensors read correctly

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,094 Posts
My TPMS as always worked well since the original drive home from the dealership. Four days ago I had the tires rotated along with the oil change. While first driving from the dealership there was some distance/time before the display showed tire pressures. They were on the high side as they were when I took it to the dealer. In a short while the pressures went down except for the driver's front which was previously the passenger's rear. The pressure display remained high but randomly changed. I was thinking the dealer did a poor job but this was not the case. Jumping to the conclusion. It took a while and 20 miles of driving but all 4 tires settled at the recommended cold pressures next morning. Dealer set the pressures exactly to match the posted recommended pressures on the TPMS when cold. And secondly, one of the tire sensors displayed some weird numbers before taking time to stabilize.

On another note, once the display shows the TPMS numbers it will adjust numbers to pressure changes while not moving. It was a hot day and I drove a few miles to the store to over inflate my tires a little for a final adjustment when they were cold the next morning. Because of the heat I left the engine/AC running while I did the tire inflate thing because my wife was in the car. Because of my interest in a number of things I let out a lot of air from some tires just prior to filling pumping them up. Later my wife told the display numbers changed and the warning came on when I let out some air. Conclusion is that the TPMS could be used to adjust tire pressures with the help of another person. Not really sure if that is a help because the vehicle will need to be driven until the TPMS begins providing readings. But if you are on the road without a gauge it may help. Also overfilling and then dropping the pressure just until the reading hits the target could provide more pressure setting precision. But then I would be concerned about the display lag.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got car back. Turns out front driver side sensor went bad. At the same time my rear hatch sensor had to be replaced as it had stopped working too. I miss my Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Took the outback back in again and this time they found error codes because it stayed active in an error state. The front left sensor was bad. They replaced it. I pick it up tomorrow as they needed to order a part for addressing another concern. Crossing my fingers that it is all resolved :).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took the outback back in again and this time they found error codes because it stayed active in an error state. The front left sensor was bad. They replaced it. I pick it up tomorrow as they needed to order a part for addressing another concern. Crossing my fingers that it is all resolved :).
This happened to me last month. Took it in and had to wait few days for part to come in. They replaced same sensor and literally two days ago the TPMS light is back on. So yeah ...... :mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Back at it again for TPMS issue. 3rd time here for same issue.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Same wheel?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Same wheel?
Not sure yet. The TPMS warning light doesn’t indicate which wheel it is. The front left sensor was the one that was replaced last time. Dealer has to call tech in so I got loaner.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was referring to the last two. I am betting it's another sensor. I bet they had a failed batch of batteries. Seems to be more common place now days in cars and other electronics that don't use the bleeding edge of tech.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts