Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Black Outback
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I looked in the online owners manual for my 2016 Outback, my issue is in the morning I will start my car and occasionally the TPMS light will blink for like 10 seconds, then the light will go away. It has happened maybe 3-4 times in a month? No mention in the manual that I could find of what a flashing TPMS light means, does anyone know?

Also, checked my tire pressure and every tire is at the proper rate. My first inkling is maybe a faulty sensor? Anyway, figured I would ask before I check with the dealer.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,166 Posts
No mention in the manual that I could find of what a flashing TPMS light means ...
2016 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 3-17.

When the system detects a malfunction,
the telltale will flash for approximately one
minute and then remain continuously
illuminated. This sequence will continue
upon subsequent vehicle start-ups as long
as the malfunction exists.
The flashing may indicate that the vehicle is unable to communicate with one or more of the tire pressure sensors, or it may indicate some other kind of TPMS system malfunction.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Black Outback
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2016 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 3-17.
Interesting, I was on like page 336 of the manual on the TPMS section. It definitely doesn't stay illuminated. Hmmmmm guess I'll have to say what the dealer says. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited w/ Eyesight - Magnetite Gray
71 Posts
How's the spare tire pressure? I feel like that happened once with my wife's Toyota - borderline low so it didn't stay illuminated. With the colder weather, maybe? I'll be curious to see what the outcome is.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Black Outback
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How's the spare tire pressure? I feel like that happened once with my wife's Toyota - borderline low so it didn't stay illuminated. With the colder weather, maybe? I'll be curious to see what the outcome is.
I am not sure, I have never had to use the spare tire ever, so its just in the normal spot it would be.

I did get the blinking TPMS light again this morning for about a minute then it shut off. I am pretty sure its a faulty sensor so when I have time I will have the dealer check em out. The only difference between this and the owners manual, the owners manual says it will blink for a minute and stay illuminated, this will blink for a minute then shut off completely.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,069 Posts
Many modern TPMS sensors power off when parked to save battery. Require a bit of rolling to turn themselves on. Perhaps this is true of Subaru’s sensors? If so then if you turn the car on and do not move quickly enough the onboard TPMS reader may give up waiting and start flashing to indicate problem. When sensors finally wake the problem is cleared.

I have TPMS from Garmin on my motorcycle. Almost never start rolling quick enough to keep it from warning, “Front Sensor Not Responding”, and same for rear. Even so, requires new battery every year or so. Fortunately external and easy.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
334 Posts
I have a different problem - my TPMS sensor system seems to have disappeared. I assume this is a take it to the dealer issue, but I'm still wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Basically, there is no TPMS screen in my multifunction display (I can scroll completely through and no wheels), there isn't an option for tire pressure units in the setup menu system, and the warning light doesn't even go on when I start up the car.

I know it worked when I got the car (US 2018 2.5 touring), but sometime over the last month or so it just disappeared. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2015 Crosstrek Dash/Christmas tree

I have this almost every day, along with every light on the dash going off like a Christmas tree. The whole dash does this if the car is out in the summer heat. But when I take it into the dealer, no error codes register. I drive in at 5am, and my TPMS goes off about 15 to 20 minutes into the ride, but all I have to do is shut the car off, and turn back on, and everything resets. It's very problematic, because now I don't know whether to trust any of the warning lights on the dash. The only thing it seems to effect is the cruise control ... it just shuts it down due to the "eye sight" being activated on the smart cruise. I'm about to email Subaru ... it's getting ridiculous, and the car is now out of warranty ... oh, 2015 crosstrek.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts