Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2013 2.5i Premium last week. I was just wondering how the TPMS system works. I saw some threads that say it is based on the ABS system... but I have also read that the wheels contain pressure sensors. Can someone confirm which one it is?

Thanks - Sean

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The wheels have sensors.

·
Registered
617 Posts
They are not. I have a BT OBD reader and an app on my smartphone. Handy for clearing the rare check engine light (tighten the gas cap, dummy) and checking GPS speed vs. what the car thinks it's doing, but nothing for TPMS that I've found.

Would be nice, though. Be even nicer to be able to reset the TPMS sensors to a different wheel. I run a full size spare that I rotate in, and I need to either ignore the light (which is then useless) or have the local dealership re-set it for the different wheel and sensor.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thanks McBrew. Are the tire pressures available through the ODB port? I'm thinking about getting one of those Bluetooth ODB devices and an app for my phone.
It's not that kind of system...It's just a simple on/off signal from a preset sensor. I don't recall seeing it on my scanner when it was hooked up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are not. I have a BT OBD reader and an app on my smartphone. Handy for clearing the rare check engine light (tighten the gas cap, dummy) and checking GPS speed vs. what the car thinks it's doing, but nothing for TPMS that I've found.

Would be nice, though. Be even nicer to be able to reset the TPMS sensors to a different wheel. I run a full size spare that I rotate in, and I need to either ignore the light (which is then useless) or have the local dealership re-set it for the different wheel and sensor.
Thanks RedOak... which ODB monitor did you buy? Do you leave it plugged in all of the time?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thanks RedOak... which ODB monitor did you buy? Do you leave it plugged in all of the time?
The cheapest ELM327 one on Amazon at the time. It's buggy, unreliable, and as cheap as it was inexpensive. I believe it was around $20.00 or so. I don't have my car today (motorcycle weather in Florida, LOL) but I can pull it out later and get a brand name off it if it has one.

I rarely have it plugged in. There isn't anything worth monitoring full time on the Outback... I bought it just to try it out when I had my STI, and it works. It occasionally drops off and has to be unplugged and plugged back in to connect again, hence the unreliable comment.

Like I said, it works great to check and clear codes, and I just leave it in the glove compartment just in case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
SeanU
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing