Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like alot of folks, I have a set of winter tires, and a set of summer tires, each set complete with wheels and TPMS sensors. It costs me $50 or thereabouts each time I swap the tires at the local garage, plus another $50 to reprogram my Subaru to "sync" the car to the other set of TPMS sensors. I saw some other threads about sensors you could install yourself and reprogram, but it's too late for that in my case; I already have the two sets of TPMS sensors. :( I'm wondering if anyone has ever played around the equipment that the dealer or garages use to sync a Subaru Outback Gen 4 to a set of TPMS sensors? Is it ridiculously expensive, hard to procure, or ....? No third party has stepped up to sell something to allow the user to do this? Perhaps due to liability issues?

Christopher

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
It's something that boggles my mind over 100 years & now we need TPMS, they make you think everyone is running flat tires on Corvette's. I always check my tires, at least once a month.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ Eyesight (Graphite Grey)
10 Posts
I have the ATEQ QuickSet. It works very well for this purpose. You may need someone to read your second set of IDs with TPMS scanning tool. Discount Tire did this for me for free.

ATEQ TPMS QuickSet

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP
50 Posts
I have the QuickSet as well. It's not the most intuitive setup but it's quick and easy enough once you get the hang of it.

I have not actually done the swapping part yet (second set of wheels are stored at the local tire shop), so it's good to hear that it works for a newer Outback. All I've done so far is plug it in to collect the current sensor IDs (my winter set). But that part worked great so I had my hopes up that programming to the alternate set IDs will work as well.

·
Registered
'18 Outback, an F350 for big stuff
46 Posts
Another Quickset user. It works well and makes wheel changeovers easy.

The software interface needs to be drastically improved. It easily erases the wheel sensor information that was previously entered.

Lesson learned: once you have each wheel's sensor codes determined, write them down. For sure you will have to re-enter them into the Quickset software later.

this weekend looks to be the time to do the annual wheel swap on 2 Subarus. The Quickset means that no dealer or tire shop visit needed to do the programming after the swap.

Lou Braun

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6 Ltd
44 Posts
Another satisfied quickset user. Tire Rack was able to provide the pressure sender ID numbers when I bought a set of winter tires and wheels with TPMS senders.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT
34 Posts
Does anyone know if a regular OBD2 interface with Torque will be able to reset TPMS?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, very helpful. I'll purchase an ATEQ quickset this Fall when it's time to swap in the winter tires again (groan).

I do not know who the manufacturer is of the TPMS sensors on my winter tires that I bought at the local garage, all I know is that they sync to my subaru just like my OEM tires/wheels. As far as anyone knows, should all TPMS sensors like this be compatible with the ATEQ quickset reprogramming system? I can't see why not....(famous last words).

·
Registered
98 Posts
The real issue is the system not recognizing a second set of wheels/tires. Subaru really dropped the ball on this one considering the popularity of their vehicles in regions with severe winter weather

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Does anyone know if a regular OBD2 interface with Torque will be able to reset TPMS?
I can confirm that it won't work. For the moment you need a very expensive tool to do this.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Ltd 2.5
12 Posts
Hey
I have done a bunch of looking and it appears to me nothing is close in price to the ATEQ Quickset ($149) for resetting the TPMS sensors on wheel swaps. I am putting together a extra set of wheels right now and just wanted to make sure this was the only game in town at this price point (could not find anything cheaper that would work with Subaru).

Lastly should I stick with Subaru sensors or save some money on the aftermarket ones. (I understand the sensors are 315 MHZ).

Anyone done this recently and want to comment? :D

FYI: I have two 2013 OB LTD 2.5 that my wife and I drive daily. The extra wheels will have winter tires for my wife's car but the main reason is if one of us has a flat or bad tire (I am going to carry one of the full size tires slightly deflated in my OB as done by others on the full size spare thread) I can swap out a full size tire quickly and take my time getting the other fixed. If it will take more than a day to fix the flat or bad tire I will install the spare winter wheels so they are all the same. We live on a 1.5 mile long gravel road and get flats regularly. Missing work is not an option.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Which wheel, the oem 17x7 + 225/60? I don’t recall that thread determined the 17 would fit, you cannot deflate the belts dia/circum. IIRC it was the 16 that could fit deflated.
But first, what causes the flats on this road?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Ltd 2.5
12 Posts
Which wheel, the oem 17x7 + 225/60? I don’t recall that thread determined the 17 would fit, you cannot deflate the belts dia/circum. IIRC it was the 16 that could fit deflated.
But first, what causes the flats on this road?
Yes I was going to try and make the 17X7 work. If it won't fit will keep it in a wheel bag in the back.

Our road has 5/8 minus gravel and the Iron Mtn Quarry it comes from for some reason has very sharp edges/points. Some brands of tires work better than others but every 4 to 6 months a puncture from a rock.:gasp:

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I see your need for tpms, pls post back your results.<O:p</O:p
I’m sure you’ll address/positively-secure it but I’d hate to see it in any person, that spare can become a 50# icbm.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, please post any findings, it will be most appreciated!

I'm following this thread in preparation for this Fall's wheel swap out. I'll buy the TPMS synchronization tool and follow the advice and best practices of folks here. And then I'll spend as much time as I can in the Mideast avoiding New England snow...

Christopher

·
Registered
2013 Outback Ltd 2.5
12 Posts
Interim update

Ok this is where I am at.

I did a bunch of looking at two ways to beat the TPMS sensor issue on my two 2013 OB's and the emergency spares/winter tires setup.

I looked at the cloneable TPMS sensors and the idea of buying 8 of them and the $105 dollar tool to clone them. The idea was to clone them to match one car and reset the other car to match. In other words I would have qty (3) RF, (3) LF, (3) RR, (3) RL with only (4) senor ID's so I would not have to reset the ID's on the cars when I swap out sets of wheels.

After pricing out this setup and seeing that the future availability of these looks questionable I did not go this route.

This weekend I found the best tire prices at Discount Tire and had them install the tires on my extra set of rims. They installed the TPMS sensors for $40 each and wrote down the numbers for me. I then wrote the numbers on the inside of each rim. I also had them get the ID's of my currently installed sensors so I know them now. I have ordered the Quickset tool and hope to have in a week. So I will post when I try it out.

I did not get a chance to mess with trying out the full size spare yet. Maybe this week.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Unless you engraved them… Tires have SNs, match it with the accompanying sensor and keep it in the OM/glove. You’ll also then have a reference on the outside of the wheel.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Ltd 2.5
12 Posts
Yes I was going to try and make the 17X7 work. If it won't fit will keep it in a wheel bag in the back.

Our road has 5/8 minus gravel and the Iron Mtn Quarry it comes from for some reason has very sharp edges/points. Some brands of tires work better than others but every 4 to 6 months a puncture from a rock.:gasp:
Well I can report that I got a full size spare to fit by doing the following. Removed valve core and let deflate. The installed tire angled down and aft and then reinstalled valve core. Put the tire jack stuff and misc items back in and lid closed flat. I carry a Slime tire inflator kit with me so if I get a flat will remove full size spare and start it inflating while I remove flat. It should be full by the time I am ready to install. I see no issue with the tire bead comming off as the tire did not have to compress that much and I put the valve core back in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a new full size tire and tpms installed at America's Tire yesterday. Told them the tpms would need to be reset. After about 6 miles the tpms failure light came on.

Went back to tire store today to have them fix tpms problem, First they tried to clone the new tpms unit, it would not work. Then they installed a tpms unit that automatically works with your car. After about one mile my tpms light went out and all is well. Looks like someone made a tpms unit to solve the problem! Will post back if I run into any problems with new tire and tpms.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts