Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire Pressure Sensor was bad and caused light to activate. I took it to the local tire shop and they replaced the defective sensor and cleared stored codes. I drove around during the day and the light came back on. I took the car back to the shop and they checked all the sensors. They say none of them were activated or faulty. So, they cleared the codes again. The light is back on.....

Could there be some other electrical issue causing this fault code to come on?

They've pretty much told me they can't do anything more....guess I may have to take it in to my Subaru dealer?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,119 Posts
Just checking - you did confirm correct tire pressures with a calibrated gauge, correct?

Otherwise, it is possible to have a TPMS sensor out of tolerance. And given only one was replaced, that's where suspicion would fall.

BTW I wasn't even aware this option was available in the 2005 models.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe it was only on the LL Bean?

The tire store said when they connected the car to their computer it even told each individual tire's pressure and they didn't see any codes that were stored.

I'm assuming since it was a new store (Discount Tire) they'd have correct gauges?

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,760 Posts
Given the age of your car, it's likely that all of your sensors are nearing end of their battery life. 12 years is on the outer tail of the distribution for a coin cell battery. The tricky thing about the readers is that they typically give a go / no-go readout on battery health, but not an actual voltage. So you can't tell a marginal pass from a solid pass. Marginal pass sensors can occasionally miss a beat, and enough of those will trigger a fault light. Assuming the basic on-board system is still whole, it might be time to just replace the other 3 wheel sensors.

Reactions: Evil Soob

·
Registered
2005 3L LL Bean Outback
236 Posts
Does the TPMS light stay on or does it blink? If it stays on then that indicates that there's no issue communicating with the sensors and there's a tire pressure issue with at least one of the tires. If it's blinking then there's either a sensor malfunction (possibly a dead battery) and/or the control module is faulty and/or there's a defect in the vehicle harness.

Mine is blinking, 1 sec on, 4-5 sec off and I'm fairly certain it's not the sensors. The control module is under the driver's seat btw.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
839 Posts
You're past due for new tpms sensors. The little transponders in your wheel on the other side of the valve stem are sealed in epoxy and you can't replace the batteries. I have an 05 and had to do them all Sept. 2016.
You state your tpms sensors read, (recognized), on the "computer" thing @ the tire guys shop.
I'm familiar with that style tpms computer. It's a common tool for the tire guys because it does 90% of anything they need without costing thousands for a full blown diagnostic scanner. Most versions of those tpms tools will not tell you the sensor battery condition.
When the little button batteries in the tpms sensors start getting low in power, they don't switch off, they still broadcast at low power.
They are testing the system holding the tpms computer right next to the valve stem and it's only inches...
However, each tpms sensor must broadcast several feet to the receiver in the car.
It frustrated me till our tech used a diagnostic scanner on mine and it read low batteries.

Now as far as replacing them.
Avoid all metal tpms sensors. If the stem ever gets corroded, seized, cracked or damaged in any way you must replace the entire sensor assembly.
Use the rubber valve stem equivalent TPMS sensors. 315 MHz for your car.
In the future you can replace the just the rubber stem without the whole radio. Make sure they do not use any version with HP in the part#. That is a high pressure version that will have the light activate at pressures below 38 PSI. Kind of on the high side for most people.

They just replaced it and now the light comes on? I've actually seen this happen.
Pump that tire up to 44 PSI. If it goes away, they used a HP version sensor.

Reactions: Evil Soob

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're past due for new tpms sensors. The little transponders in your wheel on the other side of the valve stem are sealed in epoxy and you can't replace the batteries. I have an 05 and had to do them all Sept. 2016.
You state your tpms sensors read, (recognized), on the "computer" thing @ the tire guys shop.
I'm familiar with that style tpms computer. It's a common tool for the tire guys because it does 90% of anything they need without costing thousands for a full blown diagnostic scanner. Most versions of those tpms tools will not tell you the sensor battery condition.
When the little button batteries in the tpms sensors start getting low in power, they don't switch off, they still broadcast at low power.
They are testing the system holding the tpms computer right next to the valve stem and it's only inches...
However, each tpms sensor must broadcast several feet to the receiver in the car.
It frustrated me till our tech used a diagnostic scanner on mine and it read low batteries.

Now as far as replacing them.
Avoid all metal tpms sensors. If the stem ever gets corroded, seized, cracked or damaged in any way you must replace the entire sensor assembly.
Use the rubber valve stem equivalent TPMS sensors. 315 MHz for your car.
In the future you can replace the just the rubber stem without the whole radio. Make sure they do not use any version with HP in the part#. That is a high pressure version that will have the light activate at pressures below 38 PSI. Kind of on the high side for most people.

They just replaced it and now the light comes on? I've actually seen this happen.
Pump that tire up to 44 PSI. If it goes away, they used a HP version sensor.
This is what I was afraid of! They tried to convince me to replace all the sensors at one time but I just couldn't justify throwing down $65 per wheel when they said only one was faulty. Little did I know there were caveats - always caveats!
Guess I'll bite the bullet so this flashing light will stop driving me crazy!
Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the TPMS light stay on or does it blink? If it stays on then that indicates that there's no issue communicating with the sensors and there's a tire pressure issue with at least one of the tires. If it's blinking then there's either a sensor malfunction (possibly a dead battery) and/or the control module is faulty and/or there's a defect in the vehicle harness.

Mine is blinking, 1 sec on, 4-5 sec off and I'm fairly certain it's not the sensors. The control module is under the driver's seat btw.
Mine is blinking too - guess I'm going to bite the bullet and renew the other 3.

I know BOAT means Break Out Another Thousand, being a boat owner.....I haven't determined what Subaru means yet!

On the up side, I'm going to have a brand new 05 OB soon!

I've owned Volvos so I'm not scared!!!!

·
Registered
2005 3L LL Bean Outback
236 Posts
Mine is blinking too - guess I'm going to bite the bullet and renew the other 3. ...
I hope that works. FWIW, I had one of the allegedly faulty sensors replaced and still had the same problem. Later, I got an extra set of wheels and got 4 brand new Subaru OEM sensors, with a manufacturing date 3 months prior to the purchase date. Same problem. In my case I believe the problem is somewhere in the control module or in the harness, but I haven't gotten around to removing the driver's seat to access the control module. For the time being I just check the tire pressure periodically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts