Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 2.5 White Frost Pearl Outback
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there's a way to test the throttle position sensor? I tried to test the voltage on mine and got no readings. Took it off and tested the resistance and it jumps around, so I assume its working properly. Just not sure why I couldn't get any voltage. The car has been sitting about 3 months to replace the engine. When I went to startup the first time it ran very rough and then died pushing on the accelerator. The codes it's thrown are p0122 and p1516. I don't want to buy a new sensor for 200 bucks if this one is working, just not sure how to be positive it's toast. Thanks

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Does yours have an electronic throttle body or is it cable driven? Did you check to make sure the pins on the sensor and harness are not bent and making a solid connection?

If its cable, and you have a scan tool that reads data, the closed position of the TPS is 0.0%/0.50 volts. The percentage and voltage will increase as the throttle is opened up to 100%/4.5 volts.

If its the electronic throttle body, make sure it is plugged in secure, start the car and let it idle for a few minutes to learn.

·
Registered
2003 2.5 White Frost Pearl Outback
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cardoc. The sensor turned out to be fine it just malfunctioned because I had the coolant temp sensor unplugged and didn't realize it. Car has been running great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts