Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. First post, but always been kinda creepin'. Anyways I have a 2013 Outback giving me some grief with the CVT. After spending a few hours researching transmissions, I'm still kinda at a loss. Basically I'm curious if anybody has swapped a different year TR580 into a 2013 Outback? After checking a few Subaru parts sites, I'm finding the same part number for the CVT on the 2013 and 2014 Outback model. Has anybody had any luck swapping in a transmission from another year into a 2013 or similar?

McForester posted a really good thread, but my first post so can't link it. ...Not sure how it ended up. If you're listening McForester can you comment please?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had good luck putting a 2014 CVT into a 2013 Outback. For some reason junkyards charge a premium for '13 trans ($2500+) vs any other year (<$1000).

See this thread.

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5i Premium
82 Posts
Hey everybody. First post, but always been kinda creepin'. Anyways I have a 2013 Outback giving me some grief with the CVT. After spending a few hours researching transmissions, I'm still kinda at a loss. Basically I'm curious if anybody has swapped a different year TR580 into a 2013 Outback? After checking a few Subaru parts sites, I'm finding the same part number for the CVT on the 2013 and 2014 Outback model. Has anybody had any luck swapping in a transmission from another year into a 2013 or similar?

McForester posted a really good thread, but my first post so can't link it. ...Not sure how it ended up. If you're listening McForester can you comment please?

Thanks everyone.
What kind of issues are you experiencing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thank you! I found a couple similar threads, but not many people seemed to follow up. I pulled mine back into the shop this morning. It's throwing a couple codes so before I toss in the towel on this trans, I'm going to do some testing of the solenoids on the valve body and inspect the fluid. Yeah it's rather odd how the 13' is much higher in price and it seems there are fewer of them available as well. I'll check out that read, thanks for sharing. I've been curious as well if the newer year CVT would swap in as well, but don't really want to go through all that work and money to not have it work out. I also own a 16’ I bought with a busted CVT chain but that was an easy decision what transmission to install. Found one the same year with 7k miles on it for $300. Couldn’t beat that! Thanks again for your help and very helpful reply!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
real_deal.... The typical AT light flashes and two codes pull up... P0841 secondary oil pressure sensor performance and P2750 intermediate shaft speed sensor C circuit range/performance. I just pulled the codes a few minutes ago. I'll be getting out the multimeter this morning and testing the sensors to see if they are in range. If all else fails this transmission will disappear and I'll swap in a new one. Any suggestions or experience with these trouble codes? Thanks!!

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5i Premium
82 Posts
real_deal.... The typical AT light flashes and two codes pull up... P0841 secondary oil pressure sensor performance and P2750 intermediate shaft speed sensor C circuit range/performance. I just pulled the codes a few minutes ago. I'll be getting out the multimeter this morning and testing the sensors to see if they are in range. If all else fails this transmission will disappear and I'll swap in a new one. Any suggestions or experience with these trouble codes? Thanks!!
I don't have any other suggestions other than what you have planned. My CVT valve body was replace a few years back around 70k miles. Now have 108xxx. As of now my only worry is the constant drone/whine from the CVT. I don't know if thats normal or it's getting ready to blow. The noise hasn't gotten worse over the years however. I just wondered if you were experiencing the same. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't say I've heard much of a whine from mine ever. Had to replace a couple wheel bearings over the years which started to get pretty loud fast. Lubeguard came out with a new CVT treatment a few months ago. I finally was able to locate a bottle of it. I'm going to change the fluid again in my 16' and add that stuff. I don't have any problems with mine now, but preventative maintance I guess. Don't really know if it'll do anything, but I trust the Lubeguard name so I figured that along with replacement fluid would offer some additional peace of mine. It's in a bright yellow bottle. Actually found mine on ebay. Might be worth trying in yours real_deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts