Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
All I can tell from the video is the audi had better tires than the subaru.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
or this
or this

I would say, how much does audi cost vs subaru cost. Both are getting thru, but the Audi makes it look like childs toy vs the Japan Subaru I dunno stirring the pot is all i am doing.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
There is no denying Audi makes a good AWD system, but I doubt many in the market for a Subaru will cross shop an Audi...different vehicle classes and price points.

As far as the videos go, they are hard to actually tell any concrete data from. Without equipping cars as closely as possible (similar trim levels and mechanics, same tires, etc) most car comparison videos are apples to pears at best.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Looks like they all had fun playing in the snow! :)

As AWDFTW says above, it's worthless as an objective test, but fun all the same.

Somewhere in my archives I have a video of a kid on a skateboard winning a traction contest against a volkswagen.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Post close-up pics of tires of each car in that video. Some of these "stunt or commercials" videos are comparing apples with oranges! Wasn't there one automaker that made some claims on their commercials only to find out that it was under "controlled" situation and the claim was invalid? They had to pull that add off the air! Back in Sweden, on Saab test track way up North, as well as frozen lakes up there, we could beat all claims of AWD superiority with simple front wheel drive with snow tires with studs!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have an AWD Audi and the Subaru Outback. Trying to compare them is really like comparing apples to oranges. The comparable Audi (concerning interior room) would be an A6, and this baby costs double or more than the Outback, Both of my AWD vehicles get their job well done and perform very well in their class.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
As far as traction, I think a SAAB with skinny winter tires with studs and manual transmission could match any AWD out there!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Any comparison test done outdoors is bogus. You need a controlled environment like a hockey rink that is temperature controlled and dead flat. And all the components must be identical in all respects, like tire tread condition.

Dunlop vs Nokian, outdoors. Unknown tire conditions. Unknown surface conditions. Pure unadulterated BS.

TireRack tests indoors, and I tend to believe their traction results.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I agree but how does TireRack tests winter tires traction? On an ice rink inside a building? How do you know that is, what they do? Also, haven't seen any "skinny" tires being offered by them. Everybody knows that skinny tires have better traction than wide tires on ice/snow because you get more weight per square inch with those... They may look funny but they work well. Americans are obcessed with wide tires just for the "looks"....but those are not very good in snow/ice conditions....

·
Registered
714 Posts
Everybody knows that skinny tires have better traction than wide tires on ice/snow because you get more weight per square inch with those.
Um...this is true only if the skinny tires are pressurized more. To first order, the weight of the car and the tire pressure together determine the area(s) of the contact patch(es). What's different between narrow and wide tires is the aspect ratio of the contact patch. HPH

·
Registered
592 Posts
I agree but how does TireRack tests winter tires traction? On an ice rink inside a building? How do you know that is, what they do? Also, haven't seen any "skinny" tires being offered by them.
TireRack often publishes their results including videos with portions of the testing. The most recent winter tire test is here (controlled conditions on an ice rink):
Testing the Newest Studless Ice & Snow Winter Tires

Also, I am running slightly narrower tires than stock (215/70/16) that I purchased from TireRack. Not that I have proof that 1cm of section width (not tread width) is going to make a noticeable difference, but the physics makes sense and the tires and extra set of rims were cheaper anyways. What would you define as a "skinny tire" that would roughly suit the default Outback tire diameter that someone sells (or manufactures, even)?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
:2cents:...both manufacturers make great AWD systems...probably the best two in the world. For the comparisons to be close to having any validity you would need the two cars of both simialar size and weight, exact same tires, on the exact same course with the same driver. Variables such as tires, tire presure, driver skill...or lack thereof are just some of the things that could affect these comparisons. Best case would be to put them in an arena on the ice and do it there with some very controlled tests.

...and then the test would have to be peer reviewed...lol.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
With the drivers swapping cars more than once with the data compared across the whole process.

Sedan vs wagon is improper Sedan vs Sedan - wagon vs wagon given yes weight distribution is different between the two. The Legacy is far stiffer and better at grip than the OB is.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
TireRack often publishes their results including videos with portions of the testing. The most recent winter tire test is here (controlled conditions on an ice rink):
Testing the Newest Studless Ice & Snow Winter Tires

Also, I am running slightly narrower tires than stock (215/70/16) that I purchased from TireRack. Not that I have proof that 1cm of section width (not tread width) is going to make a noticeable difference, but the physics makes sense and the tires and extra set of rims were cheaper anyways. What would you define as a "skinny tire" that would roughly suit the default Outback tire diameter that someone sells (or manufactures, even)?
I was referring to the "skinny tires" on Saab cars in the late 50s and 60s. People here were laughing at them but Saab kept winning all those races in Europe precisely because of the tires, that they had. They don't sell those anymore nor they are manufactured. Personally, I would get any tire that you can still put studs into them ... but I am afraid not that many States allow studs in their tires - if at all. I hate salt being put on roadways. In Scandinavia it's all studded tires (for most parts anyway...). Preople change rims with mounted tires each and every season, pretty standard in those woods.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
22 Participants
MudRunner
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing