Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a late-gen Tacoma (2017) with minimal miles on it (5k). Since I've bought it, I've never really felt in love with the vehicle like I thought. Yes, it's nice. It has all these off-road gizmo's that I will use once every 3 years. I have dreams of extended expeditions, but with a young family, I am being realistic. We do get out, but it will be more mild glamping trips. The other thing that has been bothering me is the rear seats. It is pretty tight back there, even for little kids. I hate that they keep kicking my seat, not because they're being rowdy, but there just isn't a lot of room.

So lately, I have been thinking of getting rid of it. Pick up something with more room, better MPG, and can still get us to all trailheads. This is where the Outback comes in. We had a 4th Gen for a few years, and liked it. It did what I needed it to do, but there were a couple of outings that it struggled a bit. But I think if I equip it with slightly taller springs (or spacers), A/T tires, combined with the X-mode, it will be just fine. I still hate that roof rack, but can't win'em all, I guess.

Any of you made the same switch? Any regrets?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
471 Posts
I always wanted a Toyota small pickup like the one Marty McFly lusted after.

A trade ?, I’ve a ‘17 Premium with 17,000 on it.

Trouble is the Tacoma isn’t small anymore and gets crappy gas mileage compared to the OB.

Sigh

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,480 Posts
is your toyota a double cab with 4 big doors, or a extended cab.?

do you think your kids will not kick the seats in a outback, = a 2018 is not much different than a 2013 in size.

how about a newly debuted Ascent. (such " maybe " at a dealer in April,...like a tribeca but new)..

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a crewcab (4 doors). But you don't understand. The Tacoma back seat room is a good 3-4 inches less than the OB. That's huge. I actually went to the dealer yesterday to check it out and jog my memory. The difference is big. I was shocked myself. Not saying that the kicks won't kick my seat. But I also won't have their legs jabbing at my back CONSTANTLY. Those of you looking at a Tacoma, please be aware of that.

Ascent is not an option. I don't want something that big, if I'm replacing the Tacoma. The reason being, I will need to store a small foldable trailer in the garage to make up for the truck bed. Won't have space with a vehicle that long.

Lightingguy - For sure I would trade! Just meet me out in Utah. :)

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
247 Posts
Maybe the H6 is an option for you. Throw a small trailer on the back to give you some of the room your Tacoma did. The H6 will have more grunt power for the trailer. You will probably get in the low to mid 20s for MPG. Folks tow with the H4 too though ...

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Lol
I had a Ranger yrs ago before the wife , kids etc. loved it

My first Subaru replaced a 4runner. Keep in mind I was and still am very outdoor active etc. The subaru was a 2.5 non turbo Legacy GT Limited 5spd.
It towed my racing sailboat boat / boats great, did epic Sierra ski trips, MTB camping trips with the guys all the stuff the 4runner did.
But it drove like it was glued to the road zipped around and out of accidents in process around me things the 4runner was absolutely horrid at doing.

Today I have the OB its basically the gear mule and kid hauler all week every day. I have a Sequoia we bought for minivan butts in seats use grandpa shuttled kids with it. He passed on and I drive the truck about every 2-3 weeks to keep it running.

I would love to have a diesel Canyon 4dr 4x4 long bed with a Tacoma Habitat cap. We camp allot spring, fall summer etc. That truck would beat the OB on mileage, ride just as nice, has nice tech in it etc. The Tacoma I have always liked it but could never justify buying. I’ve had a 4runner, Land Cruiser and the current Sequoia I like Toyota trucks. But the Taco is just expensive and not very comfortable and mileage isnt good.

So I can understand your thought process. Having had a Subaru parked next to very capable Toyota trucks for many yrs and being really outdoorsy. Ill tell you the Subarus have always been the preferred go to for our trips. The Land Cruiser only made one trip to the snow the Subarus run circles around them in the snow. The Subarus always get the road trips and ideally camping trips we tow a 4x6 camping / Utility trailer behind the subaru. Its better mileage, easier to park, fits in more campsites etc.

Only down side your not going to haul 1800+ lbs across Nevada at 80-85mph with the Subaru but the truck will.

My advice!!!
Keep the truck for 4-6 months look at the new Ascent. Im thinking the Ascent could be the ideal combo of ability to replace my Sequoia and our Outback. I get Subaru OB like handling and ride comfort/safety, I get added load hauling ability and butts in seats ability.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
The OB with my 4x6 trailer actually out hauls the Tacoma easily. Plus your not tearing up a plastic truck bed with renovation debri when your putting it in a steel trailer.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,480 Posts
It's a crewcab (4 doors). But you don't understand. The Tacoma back seat room is a good 3-4 inches less than the OB. That's huge. I actually went to the dealer yesterday to check it out and jog my memory. The difference is big. I was shocked myself. Not saying that the kicks won't kick my seat. But I also won't have their legs jabbing at my back CONSTANTLY. Those of you looking at a Tacoma, please be aware of that.

Ascent is not an option. I don't want something that big, if I'm replacing the Tacoma. The reason being, I will need to store a small foldable trailer in the garage to make up for the truck bed. Won't have space with a vehicle that long.

Lightingguy - For sure I would trade! Just meet me out in Utah. :)
thanks for detailing how small a double cab tacoma is vs. say a tundra crew max.

______

Ascent is not that bigger then a Outback. (Tribeca was not either). Ascent Just 6.8" more on overall length.
(which is kind of sad, like they need to make a "extra long" one,...or just make a subaru minivan,...when you are trying to carry 5 or more people plus their luggage and "stuff" without hauling a trailer).

I found the specs on a the Japanese subaru corp site a little in advance of US announcements:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...t-reveal-2017-la-auto-show-3.html#post5231785

2019 Ascent:
Overall Length 196.8"
Width 76.0"
Height 71.6" with roof bars, 69.5" without roof bars.

2018 Outback:
Overall Length 190″
Width 72″
Height 66″

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
What you get with the Ascent is much higher load rating regarding gear, passengers and towing / tongue weight limit. All the things I wish my OB had just slightly more of.

As pointed out it’s external foot print isnt huge, bonus points for those of us living in crowded urban zones

Yes the rear seat Taco vs OB difference is “massive” yes thats my biggest hangup with the GMC Canyon though its slightly better than the Taco. The new Ranger rear seat is even slightly larger and close to the OB dimensions regarding hip room and leg room the two magic numbers for kids car seats etc.

The bigger bonus between the two is handling and road grip. The Subarus have tenacious ridiculous grip that is sooo way different than the live rear axle trucks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,480 Posts
What you get with the Ascent is much higher load rating regarding gear, passengers and towing / tongue weight limit. All the things I wish my OB had just slightly more of.
did you see a max tongue weight for the Ascent yet?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,480 Posts
Three row seating and 5000lb tow rating it will have to be in the range of 500lbs or it wouldn’t make the tow ratings.
supposed to have a class 3 hitch,

but if you are out looking and subaru is not saying one might have to compare what other unibody AWD things have a factory class 3 hitch to see what they got for a tongue rating. (what you would already be looking at in comparison shopping).

here is a thread from last month on the autoguide Ascent forum:
Looking Forward to More Towing Specs - Subaru Ascent Forum

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Except Subarus Ascent is bigger and rated higher than its direct competition. It also sits on a platform thats far more modern than any if its direct competition. So no the compare and guess wont really work I already did that.

All the Competition is at least 1000lbs less on the rating and dimension numbers are different enough to make it impossible to get a rough idea on its probable tongue weight.

But for giggles this is my 1st gen Sequoia. Oddly the Ascents numbers are closer to my Sequoia than say the Highlander or Pilot

http://www.driverside.com/specs/toyota-sequoia-2005-4545-10404-0

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Sequoia is 5000lb rating no load leveling hitch. 500lb tongue limit.
Its a full 3across 3rd row as is the Ascent. The Highlander / Pilots are 2 seater 3rd row, yes there is a load spec difference regarding passenger weight two vs 3 in the 3rd row.

The Ascent internal rough numbers are very similar to my First Gen Sequoia. Its a nice size! Still can be parked in tight parking areas. Subarus external size its smaller than the Sequoia which is impressive.

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

As pointed out it’s external foot print isnt huge, bonus points for those of us living in crowded urban zones

Yes the rear seat Taco vs OB difference is “massive” yes thats my biggest hangup with the GMC Canyon though its slightly better than the Taco. The new Ranger rear seat is even slightly larger and close to the OB dimensions regarding hip room and leg room the two magic numbers for kids car seats etc.

The bigger bonus between the two is handling and road grip. The Subarus have tenacious ridiculous grip that is sooo way different than the live rear axle trucks.
Why they couldn't lengthen the rear seat room 2-3 inches, I don't know. The new Ranger has intrigued me as well, especially if it has a bigger rear seat.

Ascent is still not a contender, though. It's "only" 7 inches longer, but also wider. Every little bit adds up. A Yukon is "only" 6 inches longer than the Ascent as well. That thing drives like a boat. I've even entertained the idea of a Forester as well. Little over 8 inches shorter. Gives me more space for the trailer.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,480 Posts
Why they couldn't lengthen the rear seat room 2-3 inches, I don't know. The new Ranger has intrigued me as well, especially if it has a bigger rear seat.

Ascent is still not a contender, though. It's "only" 7 inches longer, but also wider. Every little bit adds up. A Yukon is "only" 6 inches longer than the Ascent as well. That thing drives like a boat. I've even entertained the idea of a Forester as well. Little over 8 inches shorter. Gives me more space for the trailer.
just looking and sitting on the skinny / hard front seats in a forester made from 2011 to now,
makes me sad for their owners stuck in them. (so if you actually feel like owning one make sure you drive it for 40 minutes, or on a overnight test drive to make sure you "love" it).

I would hold out for a the forester getting on the global platform if you want one.
such has made the impreza/crosstrek better in every way (ascents will all be on it).

think they will be 2019 foresters whenever? they make them, and the present day 18s will be the last of the old ones.
outbacks will not be on it until the 2020 model year. (not that far off either).

one of the things that the global platform is supposed to do: let the SIA plant in indiana make all types of cars. (vs. importing foresters and impreza from japan to the US/ Canada).

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
801 Posts
I drive a Tacoma for work, where we drive dirt roads and haul a lot of stuff. I like the Tacoma a lot. They are great for running forever with few problems, and tolerate hard use well. if you really need to 4x4, the Tacoma is what you want.

I briefly considered buying one for personal use but decided that for daily use, a pickup is just less convenient and comfortable. A truck rides rougher, harder to get in and out, harder to park, groceries go flying all over, needs a bed cap to keep cargo dry, noiser, a tailgate to crawl over when loading. An Outback is just more pleasant to use in most respects, rides and handles better, and is much safer than any pickup. I've done some mild off-roading with Outbacks and always got home without any drama.

I also owned a 96 Ford Exploder. That was a car I never bonded with. Despite a number of positive attributes, I just didn't like it. It drove like a box. When the story broke that they were extremely fickle about tires and would roll over in a stiff side wind, I bought a generation 3 Outback, which was a wonderful car.

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just looking and sitting on the skinny / hard front seats in a forester made from 2011 to now,
makes me sad for their owners stuck in them. (so if you actually feel like owning one make sure you drive it for 40 minutes, or on a overnight test drive to make sure you "love" it).

I would hold out for a the forester getting on the global platform if you want one.
such has made the impreza/crosstrek better in every way (ascents will all be on it).

think they will be 2019 foresters whenever? they make them, and the present day 18s will be the last of the old ones.
outbacks will not be on it until the 2020 model year. (not that far off either).

one of the things that the global platform is supposed to do: let the SIA plant in indiana make all types of cars. (vs. importing foresters and impreza from japan to the US/ Canada).
Good point. Yes, the salesman did say the 5-year refresh is coming for the Forester next year. I will definitely wait for that, if I decide to go that route.

The front seats, I will also pay attention to that as well. But I can't imagine it's any worse than my current Tacoma. It is pretty bad. Enough so, I bought some memory foam cushions. Never had the need on my past vehicles.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
I cant do a Forester. The Impreza and OB have always been better machines regarding comfort etc. Forester is just a boxy CUV body on the impreza target buyer for the Forester, CRV, Ford Escape are young women just getting started in their career etc. The seating as pointed out is nothing to write home about.

I stow my 4x6 in the side yard. Its 5.5ft wide fender to fender and 12ft ball to tail lights. I didnt put a gate in. I framed up a 8ft section of the fence between posts tacked the vertical boards to it and simply slide the panel to the side and wheel out the trailer. The panel gets lashed in place with simple parachute cord. From the front it just looks like a fence. I use the trailer quite a bit so I don’t cover it.

My garage is just slightly over 25ft deep I have two cars in the garage lots of built in cabinets and a giant rolling 6ft work bench. The outside wall the 13ft long SLK 350 is parked so it just clears the garage door, Then I have about 6ft of space used for stacking camping gear bins and Two Bicycles infront of the car. At one time I had the 4x6 parked fender to the back wall across the front of the OB but it was way too crowded.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts