Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited 3.6
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Subaru has sent me 3 offers now for trading in my 2017 OB 3.6 Limited for a 2018 OB 3.6 Limited. According to these offers my monthly payment would go up $110 and payment period would be extended one year. Who does that?

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
My question to Subaru would be shouldn't this car last longer than a year??

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
Who does that? People who buy cars based on monthly payments instead of full vehicle cost over financing period.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just came off lease on a 2017 2.5i (Pearl Brown)
My new lease is on a 2018 3.6 (Tungsten)

My monthly payment went down by $80. The 2018 has very low residuals, but this is the week to negotiate.

As for the monthly payment VS total cost, anyone who knows the time value of money knows that the monthly payment is way more important than the total cost, with the main variable of the math being "How long do you plan on keeping this vehicle".

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,094 Posts
It's probably automated. People who bought from the dealer more than 10 months ago and financed through the dealer/Subaru get an email. I'm still getting them for my 2011 that say "your payment is $xxx.xx and it could be $xxx.xx". Umm, My payment right now is ZERO....

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,242 Posts
I was offended.
And your dealer cares not one whit about that. They are fishing, and if they get just two or three good bites the mailing will probably have more than paid for itself.

·
Registered
309 Posts
So, Subaru has sent me 3 offers now for trading in my 2017 OB 3.6 Limited for a 2018 OB 3.6 Limited. According to these offers my monthly payment would go up $110 and payment period would be extended one year. Who does that?
Surprised Subaru would do this (possible on a lease, I suspect. Is yours leased?). I would think such push would come from dealerships.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited w/ES, Wilderness Green
565 Posts
There is an old saying in sales that if you don't ask the question, the answer is already "no".

I am never surprised by an effort to entice me into buying something. While rare, I do sometimes take them up on the deal (not speaking just of cars here). I only find it annoying when they don't listen to my answer or get pushy. Then I've been known to permanently fire an outfit.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,242 Posts
I only find it annoying when they don't listen to my answer or get pushy. Then I've been known to permanently fire an outfit.
Two other sales maxims that I've always respected:

1) It costs ~20 times as much to secure a new customer as it does to keep an existing customer. Invest marketing dollars in keeping your existing customers happy.

2) When a customer walks away dissatisfied, you don't lose just that one sale. You lose future sales, too. Avoid giving customers a reason to go elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,686 Posts
I only find it annoying when they [sales people] don't listen to my answer or get pushy. Then I've been known to permanently fire an outfit.
I'm with you, except I occasionally enjoy seeing first if I can knock them off their schtick. It's sometimes difficult, as they can be pretty dodgey about it, but this happened once with a Toyota sales guy:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/489465-key-start-touring.html#post5592105

For his honesty, he got the sale from us.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,086 Posts
I too got flooded with “trade up days” offers from Subaru and my dealer. Briefly looked. Decline. Not interested unless they are offering an even swap of my 2016 for similarly equipped 2018.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
I still get trade in offers from Honda for my CR-V which is what I traded in for the OB 3 years ago. Guess once in the system it takes a while to get out.

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
165 Posts
i always thought it gave the mailman something other to deliver than those amazon boxes and stupid "your warranty is about to expire..urgent" cards on a 2 week old brand new car.....lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts