Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My new '13 SAP, 2.5i with my traded 2011 right next to it. Yes we got the same color as our old one.

Will report more after the miles pour on. Anyway, absolutely love the SAP, we went down just to "look" and as soon as the wife saw the saddle leather it was over. Best part was I was able to get a lower payment than what we had on the 2011.

The difference between these two cars though are night & day. This '13 Limited SAP even with the 2.5i, just feels a lot more hunkered down and weighted like a European car if that makes sense. The steering is much tighter and improved, the jittery, wandering & floaty ride on the highway gone.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Awesome! Congrats.... I have not looked back since I traded my 2012. It was sooooo worth it. The 2013 is a huge improvement SAP and especially the suspension.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats! The SAP in white looks really nice. I'm sure you'll enjoy..
I was going to start a seperate thread on it, but we went in yesterday just to "kick-tires" so to speak. I wanted to test drive the new Forester XT turbo/CVT. And my wife wanted to test-drive a Crosstrek.

In short I left my Forester demo surprisingly dissapointed. I'm not going to lie that DIT Turbo & CVT is an absolute gem. Would love to have that powertrain in my '13 Outback SAP. Unfortunately everything outside of the awesome engine & CVT combo, a few tech bits left a lot to be desired. For an example the seats need much improvement, they are not nearly as comfortable or as supportive as Outback seats. While the interior materials are much improved over the previous model, they are still just so so when considering this is a $34K vehicle. Lastly I can't get over the looks and forced styling up front. My wife said the car reminded her of a tall mini van thingy from the rear.

We then test-drove a Crosstrek Limited, had leather, heated seats and moonroof. While we both agreed it is the nicest "looking" Subaru, and handled well, almost with cat like reflexes but with the added practicality of Outback like ground clearance. However this car with the CVT is grossly underpowered, we had a 2010 Honda Insight EX a few years ago that had 98hp combined Gas/Electric. This car felt barely quicker (which isnt' saying much) and was constantly loud at all times (Lots of engine buzzing)

Then we test drove a pretty much base '13 Prem Outback 2.5i, CVT. Had All weather but no sunroof or back camera etc... the car rode nice, and was everything you would expect with the new '13 models but since our '11 was a pretty loaded premium, CVT, had back camera, heated seats, moon roof, HK sound etc..I could tell since this car would again be her daily driver, she was going to miss the creature comforts she already has.

We then looked at the SAP, Limited 2.5i. And decided this was exactly what we wanted. It was crazy because I was sitting here a few weeks ago looking at all of these beautiful SAP Outbacks on here and thinking to myself that there way going to be no way to get out of our '11 and into a '13, let alone the SAP but our dealer which we have purchased two other Subaru's from got us out of the '11 & into this '13 SAP with more stuff than we really need for no more money that we were already paying for the 2011. I was even happy with what they gave us for our '11 Outback that had a minor accident on Carfax. Probably not the best deal on a SAP, 2.5i but we got $1K under invoice which I'm good with as they stepped up more than they should have on our 2011 which had an accident history, and craked windshield.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R LTD w/Nav & ES (prev 2010 OB 3.6R Ltd)
23 Posts
Congrats on your excellent taste in automobiles!.... Did the same thing a couple of weeks ago...Traded our '10 for the '13, same color vehicle with virtually the same accessories...didn't go the SAP route (although the interior is really awesome) because we wanted moon roof, Nav and EyeSight. We also stayed with the larger 3.6R.
I have to agree with your observation that the '13 "feels" more grounded and heavier than our '10... I was given a Lexus 350 SUV to drive for a couple of days while our '13 was en route...that REALLY convinced me that the Subaru OB is a real deal for the money. If they gave me a Lexus, I'd have to sell it and buy a Subbie!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Congrats.... I have not looked back since I traded my 2012. It was sooooo worth it. The 2013 is a huge improvement SAP and especially the suspension.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah it's crazy how while both cars look nearly the same on the outside, the ride & drive is so different. First thing my wife said as we hit the highway to head home 62 miles away. "Wow I can finally take turns and corner without feeling like the car is going to roll over"

Hard to explain, but the new car feels like a European sedan on lifted suspension, it's just so darn compliant and just right now. The old car, and I while I certainly mean no dissrespect (It was a great car) but felt like it was thought out suspension wise by a third grader. Also the Ej25 always felt like it was at odds with the CVT or vise versa. The new car gives the feeling the CVT & motor are one, in other words the transitions and action are so linear and smooth. Again my wife said once we hit our driveway last night "I actually forgot I was driving a CVT car"

Now the hard part, there is so much stuff on this car to learn over the next week. This Nav/ Audi interface is one of the most complicated I've ever used, and I have Sync in my Ford which is touted as being one of the worst. Unfortunately the Harmon Kardon still sounds as bad as it did in the 2011 car, so I will finally bite the bullet and address that with this car at some point.

While I absolutely love the SAP unique grill detail and blacked out headlights, and welcome the mirror signals. I have not warmed up to the gray/silver painted covers on the side mirrors or the contrasting tone to the handles. (My neighbor says "Hey did they put the wrong mirrors on your car" ) Told the wife I may paint the mirror covers to satin white some day to match if it continues to bother me.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on your excellent taste in automobiles!.... Did the same thing a couple of weeks ago...Traded our '10 for the '13, same color vehicle with virtually the same accessories...didn't go the SAP route (although the interior is really awesome) because we wanted moon roof, Nav and EyeSight. We also stayed with the larger 3.6R.
I have to agree with your observation that the '13 "feels" more grounded and heavier than our '10... I was given a Lexus 350 SUV to drive for a couple of days while our '13 was en route...that REALLY convinced me that the Subaru OB is a real deal for the money. If they gave me a Lexus, I'd have to sell it and buy a Subbie!
Congrats to you too! I really liked the 3.6R, but the wife commutes in this Outback 53 miles ea way all highway. Our '11 2.5i would return an honest 28 mpg on this commute daily, even with bike racks mounted on the roof.

If this were a 3rd car for us or my wife didn't work or worked about 1/2 the distance closer than she currently does would have got the 3.6R. But sticking with the 2.5i, allowed us to get the SAP Limited, if I had gone 3.6R I would have had to settle for a much more stripped version. At the end of the day, at least at my age I spend more time enjoying the nicer interior and gizmos .vs stabbing the throttle. Plus I still have a 2011 Ford F-150 with 360hp V8 and throaty exhaust when I want to burn the tires lol.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
First thing my wife said: "Wow I can finally take turns and corner without feeling like the car is going to roll over"
Yep. Right on for sure. It was so worth the upgrade!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
186 Posts
I too switched from a 2011 to a 2013 OB this weekend. Went from a '11 2.5i Limited to a '13 3.6R Limited. No nav, no eyesight, no SAP... both of us wanted the brown pearl, but could not locate one within 500 miles of us. Black was a no-go and we liked the Twilight Blue much better than the white. Totally personal preference thing.

So anyway, we drove home in a Twilight Blue/Dark Grey 3.6R Limited with moonroof.

Worth. Every. Penny.

The suspension is night and day. I wasn't expecting this much difference. It went from marginally unsafe to shockingly competent. Suspension upgrades are no longer an emergency priority. I'll probably do a RSB at some point when I get bored, but for now I am LOVING the handling improvement. For a commuter, it is excellent. When I really want to go shred asphalt, I'll take out the auto-X prepped Saturn Sky and have fun. The Outback has a different mission, but at least now the suspension doesn't make me cringe around every corner and over every bump.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited (special appearance) Black 2.5
58 Posts
I traded my 12 Impreza sport limited for the 13 Outback w/ SAP... best move I've ever made!

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
I was going to start a seperate thread on it, but we went in yesterday just to "kick-tires" so to speak. I wanted to test drive the new Forester XT turbo/CVT. And my wife wanted to test-drive a Crosstrek.

In short I left my Forester demo surprisingly dissapointed. I'm not going to lie that DIT Turbo & CVT is an absolute gem. Would love to have that powertrain in my '13 Outback SAP. Unfortunately everything outside of the awesome engine & CVT combo, a few tech bits left a lot to be desired. For an example the seats need much improvement, they are not nearly as comfortable or as supportive as Outback seats. While the interior materials are much improved over the previous model, they are still just so so when considering this is a $34K vehicle. Lastly I can't get over the looks and forced styling up front. My wife said the car reminded her of a tall mini van thingy from the rear.

We then test-drove a Crosstrek Limited, had leather, heated seats and moonroof. While we both agreed it is the nicest "looking" Subaru, and handled well, almost with cat like reflexes but with the added practicality of Outback like ground clearance. However this car with the CVT is grossly underpowered, we had a 2010 Honda Insight EX a few years ago that had 98hp combined Gas/Electric. This car felt barely quicker (which isnt' saying much) and was constantly loud at all times (Lots of engine buzzing)

Then we test drove a pretty much base '13 Prem Outback 2.5i, CVT. Had All weather but no sunroof or back camera etc... the car rode nice, and was everything you would expect with the new '13 models but since our '11 was a pretty loaded premium, CVT, had back camera, heated seats, moon roof, HK sound etc..I could tell since this car would again be her daily driver, she was going to miss the creature comforts she already has.

We then looked at the SAP, Limited 2.5i. And decided this was exactly what we wanted. It was crazy because I was sitting here a few weeks ago looking at all of these beautiful SAP Outbacks on here and thinking to myself that there way going to be no way to get out of our '11 and into a '13, let alone the SAP but our dealer which we have purchased two other Subaru's from got us out of the '11 & into this '13 SAP with more stuff than we really need for no more money that we were already paying for the 2011. I was even happy with what they gave us for our '11 Outback that had a minor accident on Carfax. Probably not the best deal on a SAP, 2.5i but we got $1K under invoice which I'm good with as they stepped up more than they should have on our 2011 which had an accident history, and craked windshield.
I drove a 35k 14 Touring Forester and I felt I was sitting on bar stools. The seats are different. The CVT/Turbo is really nice and I'm sure we will see it with a slight bump in 15 for the new OB. One positive, the Forester has outstanding visibility. The Outback has some blind spots, My opinion is the Forester is a excellent buy as long as you keep the price from 20-25k max. I like x-mode but it is not available in base or premium trims. I did not drive it on the highway but I heard they ride a lot nicer and they are fairly quiet. I like the look somewhat but I keep seeing the last RAV4 in it's styling

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Congrats on the new one!

I'm keeping my '11 even after the lease is up, by then I'll hope for the next generation version....complete with turbodiesel :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drove a 35k 14 Touring Forester and I felt I was sitting on bar stools. The seats are different. The CVT/Turbo is really nice and I'm sure we will see it with a slight bump in 15 for the new OB. One positive, the Forester has outstanding visibility. The Outback has some blind spots, My opinion is the Forester is a excellent buy as long as you keep the price from 20-25k max. I like x-mode but it is not available in base or premium trims. I did not drive it on the highway but I heard they ride a lot nicer and they are fairly quiet. I like the look somewhat but I keep seeing the last RAV4 in it's styling
You are correct, the seats in that car are very interesting. They are like sitting in chairs, much like in Jeep Wrangler or Truck. Visibility was great, better than any other car I can think of, but I said the same about every Forester ever made.

I felt the handling was to close to the 2011 Outback we wanted out of, i.e. Heavy body roll & understeer. It is quite shocking how fast that thing is when you put the hammer down though, it weird because it just takes off with no wheel-spin, and while you are expecting an upshift it just doesn't, instead you go into like warp speed mode. Ok I'm streatching it a bit but you get the point.

I would love to see X-Mode offered in a regular old N/A 2.5i Outback actually, as with much of the other tech features. I would probably never use any of the i, S or S-sharp modes but they are neat.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
You are correct, the seats in that car are very interesting. They are like sitting in chairs, much like in Jeep Wrangler or Truck. Visibility was great, better than any other car I can think of, but I said the same about every Forester ever made.

I felt the handling was to close to the 2011 Outback we wanted out of, i.e. Heavy body roll & understeer. It is quite shocking how fast that thing is when you put the hammer down though, it weird because it just takes off with no wheel-spin, and while you are expecting an upshift it just doesn't, instead you go into like warp speed mode. Ok I'm streatching it a bit but you get the point.

I would love to see X-Mode offered in a regular old N/A 2.5i Outback actually, as with much of the other tech features. I would probably never use any of the i, S or S-sharp modes but they are neat.
What did you think of noise? Road,wind and powertrain noise are suppose to be low, in fact some folks on the Forester forums say cvt and engine noise is below Outback levels. Hard to swallow IMO.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What did you think of noise? Road,wind and powertrain noise are suppose to be low, in fact some folks on the Forester forums say cvt and engine noise is below Outback levels. Hard to swallow IMO.
The Forester was quiet, I was actually anticipating more turbo boxer rumble and turbo sound, but it was vault tight and engine, CVT noise was barely detectable. I don't know if its a selected observation, but my '13 SAP is both quieter and more vault like feeling than my '11 was. Comparing NVH's between the Outback & new Forester is difficult to call. Like I said my SAP is pretty quiet, I have family members with both Lexus vehicles, my Dad had a 2010 Mercedes E350 and my wife & I previously owned both an '08 R350 & C300 and I feel that my SAP is equal to the Lexus in terms of quietness and quieter than our our previous Mercedes products. The only notable differences with noise are that the Forester XT doesn't cold start with that high RPM roar like the 2.5i Outback which can be off putting to some.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Pool Runner: recognize the dealership. My father-in-law takes his '12 Limited there for service. I use one in the other part of town.

·
Registered
2011 OB Prem 6 spd now 2006 Built WRX.
866 Posts
Subaru of America bought back my 2011 after trying to fix the shakes, I bought I used 2006 Wrx Wagon and put ten grand in my pocket. Still love Subaru, just for another reason now... congrats on the new new car smell.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
Ok all you new 13 owners, question for you. Has the reportedly beefier CVT had its tow rating adjusted? IOW, has the 104F and 5 mile hill rating been improved?

That always bothered me, not that I drive in those conditions ever, just seemed to indicate that the CVT was borderline undersized for the application. I'm thinking about my options, as something about our OB combined with my 900 lb tent trailer is just not right, and Subaru can't or won't get it fixed. (Don't start on my trailer, it's got the right tongue weight, ride height, tows effortlessly behind my last 5 cars in my signature).

I asked about 19mm RSB, other suspension mods, both dealers in town pretend they never heard about anyone trying it, and of course won't warranty any resulting damage or handling results, as you'd expect. I think my only option is to trade it for a 13, just need to choose a 6-MT or CVT.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
457 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!

I'm hoping to make the 12-->13 jump as soon as my car gets out of the shop (got rear-ended); hoping to get a decent diminished value settlement out of it and get into a 2013 SAP in Satin White Pearl (had in on my previous 2007 WRX and loved it). The suspension upgrades are what has me the most interested; coming from a WRX then a VW Golf to the Outback, I knew what to expect in terms of ride and handling however I wouldn't mind a more planted feel

Question for 13 Owners: I know this has been discussed, but in your opinion does the 13 feel too "jittery or stiff" compared to your 10-12? My wife absolutely loves the smooth ride of the OB (she doesn't have to drive it though)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts