Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp! I've been complaining here and there a little about my 2020 Outback Touring XT. Prior to buying it I had shopped the 2020 Santa Fe. And after my EQ settings resetting themselves AGAIN today, I said enough. :mad:
First of all I still think Subaru makes a better vehicle than Hyundai. But for me the 99% touch interface Subaru went with and the lack of cubbies and storage in the center console area. And the fact my last three vehicles were a 2018, 2019, and 2020 Subaru, the infotainment system just still isn't ready for prime time much less relying more on a touch screen. I wanted my buttons and knobs back. And auto wipers, love those. And that both side mirrors tilt down when in reverse but you can turn that off with a flick of the switch when your actual backing out of somewhere that you don't want your side view mirrors tilted down, you don't have to go to the dealership to have it reprogrammed. Or that start/stop has an actual switch to turn it off, did that right away on the test drive.
I know I could of waited for software updates...yeah right. :rolleyes: The interior of the Touring XT is better than the Hyundai's. The exterior as well, the drive train, the platform, all better I'm sure. But after three newer generation Subaru's I'm going to give Hyundai a shot.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Enjoy the new ride. I suspect you are not alone in dislike for the full touch screen interface. I believe Subaru has narrowed their demographics by making that switch.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
80 Posts
My previous ride before upgrading to the 2020 Outback Limited was a 2012 Hyundai Sonata SE which currently has 130,000 miles and is still running strong with no major issues over it's lifetime. I looked at the Santa Fe back in 2016, but we purchased a 2017 Forester Premium because of the gas mileage and safety. Great tech, love Eyesight and all of the safety features, really. So when it was time for me to upgrade, I was all set to get another Forester, but I have more room in the Outback. I personally like the 2020 Outback's infotainment screen, but I'm a software engineer, so it's no big deal to me to not have physical switches for things, plus I can do a lot of the settings through voice (change the cabin temp and fan speed, etc) - things I do at home with our home automation. And I personally love the auto start/stop. There's nothing that irritates me more sitting in Atlanta traffic than seeing the sea of cars at a stop, all with their engines running. Being an engineer, I know Subaru has designed the starter and electrical system to handle the wear and tear. I've also seen a study of the actual gas savings with start/stop and the amount of gas that is saved is greater after idling for only 8 seconds. And I selected the 2.5i for it's excellent gas mileage as well. So I'm in the minority it seems for the XT owners that hate start/stop and the infotainment system, lol. I'll get off my soapbox (gas can?) now. I hope the Hyundai Santa Fe is a good fit for you - my experience is that Hyundai makes really good vehicles and I'm keeping my old Sonata in the family, passing it down to my daughter and son-in-law.

Cheers!
Dave.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
A friend had a sante fe - can't remember the year - really decent car. And she actually used it, so it was a bit beat up. only issue I remember was the paint peeling on the hood (that was a problem with a few years of those). Fun car!

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
437 Posts
I'm with Dave on this being in the minority. I also prefer the 2020 OB start/stop and infotainment system. While physical switches are nice the voice control matches with what we have with our home automation. And the OB practically drives itself even in downtown Indy. I'm absolutely impressed with the tech and how aggressively the OB will try to prevent a collision. That said I was downtown on day 3 of our new OB the day the car flew out the 4th floor parking garage downtown.

·
Registered
362 Posts
"lee johnson auto family - the LJ way" one of the best car dealership jingles out there, just behind " lew webbs irvine toyota - feels so good"

Reactions: JamesBond

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What kind of a bath did you take for the trade? Curious if all that “depreciates 20% when you drive it off the lot” conventional teaching is correct.
I wasn't upside down on the Outback. But yes took a little bath since there's no trade in value on 2020s as of yet. Although unlike the Ford dealer I visited looking at 2020 Escapes, the Hyundai dealer was still more than willing to take my trade.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm with Dave on this being in the minority. I also prefer the 2020 OB start/stop and infotainment system. While physical switches are nice the voice control matches with what we have with our home automation. And the OB practically drives itself even in downtown Indy. I'm absolutely impressed with the tech and how aggressively the OB will try to prevent a collision. That said I was downtown on day 3 of our new OB the day the car flew out the 4th floor parking garage downtown.
My previous ride before upgrading to the 2020 Outback Limited was a 2012 Hyundai Sonata SE which currently has 130,000 miles and is still running strong with no major issues over it's lifetime. I looked at the Santa Fe back in 2016, but we purchased a 2017 Forester Premium because of the gas mileage and safety. Great tech, love Eyesight and all of the safety features, really. So when it was time for me to upgrade, I was all set to get another Forester, but I have more room in the Outback. I personally like the 2020 Outback's infotainment screen, but I'm a software engineer, so it's no big deal to me to not have physical switches for things, plus I can do a lot of the settings through voice (change the cabin temp and fan speed, etc) - things I do at home with our home automation. And I personally love the auto start/stop. There's nothing that irritates me more sitting in Atlanta traffic than seeing the sea of cars at a stop, all with their engines running. Being an engineer, I know Subaru has designed the starter and electrical system to handle the wear and tear. I've also seen a study of the actual gas savings with start/stop and the amount of gas that is saved is greater after idling for only 8 seconds. And I selected the 2.5i for it's excellent gas mileage as well. So I'm in the minority it seems for the XT owners that hate start/stop and the infotainment system, lol. I'll get off my soapbox (gas can?) now. I hope the Hyundai Santa Fe is a good fit for you - my experience is that Hyundai makes really good vehicles and I'm keeping my old Sonata in the family, passing it down to my daughter and son-in-law.

Cheers!
Dave.
Funny as I've always found Subaru's voice control pretty useless. Especially this new version that takes a moment to think about what you said. The Hyundai has auto start/stop as well but like I said it's very easy to turn off, no multiple touch's through the touch screen. I will be interested in comparing the adaptive cruise control systems, Eyesight vs radar/camera based. And yep, was fully aware the Santa Fe's fuel economy isn't as good as Subaru's. But it's about the same as the Ascent I had prior to the Outback so I'm used to it.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
437 Posts
Yeah. Tragic. Hopefully accidents like that will be a thing of the past soon with more smart cars on the road.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
5,288 Posts
I wasn't upside down on the Outback. But yes took a little bath since there's no trade in value on 2020s as of yet. Although unlike the Ford dealer I visited looking at 2020 Escapes, the Hyundai dealer was still more than willing to take my trade.
Interesting tidbit on the Ford dealership, IMO they are business stupid if they are unwilling to take any vehicle in on trade. I remember selling a 2017 Touring 3.6 Outback to a guy a few years ago while his wife was in the hospital. He loved it and he thought his wife would too, 2000 miles later he is back in the store with his recovered wife trading that Outback in to me for a used Cadillac that his wife did in fact like.

I was happy to have his Outback back for sale on my lot and I tried really hard to sell it for a second time. I was actually surprised by how many people trade near new cars back in. One of my coworkers sold an STi to a truck guy who traded that car back in for a used truck on our lot after only a month. He said he was ready to get back into a car but apparently that didn't last long.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I was actually surprised by how many people trade near new cars back in.
I know several folks like that, me included. I've traded numerous vehicles after a year or so because I grew tired of them and something new caught my eye.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts