Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
335 Posts
Wow and I thought my wife was bad giving me a little hard time about prepping to part ways with my 4 year old vehicle

Reactions: JamesBond

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,443 Posts
I was actually surprised by how many people trade near new cars back in.
I know several folks like that, me included. I've traded numerous vehicles after a year or so because I grew tired of them and something new caught my eye.
It's a very expensive hobby.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Interesting tidbit on the Ford dealership, IMO they are business stupid if they are unwilling to take any vehicle in on trade. I remember selling a 2017 Touring 3.6 Outback to a guy a few years ago while his wife was in the hospital. He loved it and he thought his wife would too, 2000 miles later he is back in the store with his recovered wife trading that Outback in to me for a used Cadillac that his wife did in fact like.

I was happy to have his Outback back for sale on my lot and I tried really hard to sell it for a second time. I was actually surprised by how many people trade near new cars back in. One of my coworkers sold an STi to a truck guy who traded that car back in for a used truck on our lot after only a month. He said he was ready to get back into a car but apparently that didn't last long.
The couple minute or mile test drive with new vehicles really isn't enough anymore.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It’s a good looking car.
Thanks!
First things I've noticed that I like. I can fit my phone face up on the included wireless charging pad. And the Infinity stereo initial sounds better than the HK Subaru uses.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
5,291 Posts
It's a very expensive hobby.
Well my dad is my hometown dealership's favorite customer. Every year or two for the past 25 years or so he has been buying a new vehicle from them and trading in a lightly used late model Dodge car or (usually a) Ram truck. Every time he swears up and down that THIS will be the LAST new vehicle he will get for years to come.

Then it never fails, they somehow rope him back in to get a newer and always more expensive deal that he just CANNOT pass up on. You don't even have to sell him on buying the vehicle, just convince him that you are giving him a "great deal" and you are guaranteed this sale and countless future sales.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,301 Posts
Nah. Don't think so. Frequent car trading beats most other hobbies in the cost department. ?
Not in terms of overall dollars involved but my vintage snowmobiles have to be the biggest losers in terms of dollars of anything I am involved with. I can buy one that catches my eye for a couple hundred bucks, spend hours searching for parts to get it back to working condition, sink another couple hundred bucks and countless hours into getting everything working, and when I'm done it is still worth about the same couple hundred bucks as what I paid for it originally. And the dog-turd icing on the cake is that they really aren't that fun to ride once they are back running again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had considered the SantaFe but went with the touring XT. I went with 4 - 200 friends for my test ride and the Santa Fe was a dog in both pick up and handling I’m planing on using the car for touring vacation where the car will be full with luggage the Outback has better fuel mileage also. I liked the electronics better on the Hyundai but Subaru was much more comfortable. I’m probable going to remove the CD player as I have no need for it and that will give me i little more console space. I did like the palisades better than the Outback but it was another 10000 and I have no need for the 3rd row seating .

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
586 Posts
Nah. Don't think so. Frequent car trading beats most other hobbies in the cost department. ?
Ha, well, e-bikes and camera gear (my primary hobbies) are also pretty dang expensive! But we tend to keep cars for a decade or more and run them into the ground, so maybe that’s part of what allows me to spend on those other expensive hobbies :)

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,860 Posts
Welp! I've been complaining here and there a little about my 2020 Outback Touring XT. Prior to buying it I had shopped the 2020 Santa Fe. And after my EQ settings resetting themselves AGAIN today, I said enough. :mad:
First of all I still think Subaru makes a better vehicle than Hyundai. But for me the 99% touch interface Subaru went with and the lack of cubbies and storage in the center console area. And the fact my last three vehicles were a 2018, 2019, and 2020 Subaru, the infotainment system just still isn't ready for prime time much less relying more on a touch screen. I wanted my buttons and knobs back. And auto wipers, love those. And that both side mirrors tilt down when in reverse but you can turn that off with a flick of the switch when your actual backing out of somewhere that you don't want your side view mirrors tilted down, you don't have to go to the dealership to have it reprogrammed. Or that start/stop has an actual switch to turn it off, did that right away on the test drive.
I know I could of waited for software updates...yeah right. :rolleyes: The interior of the Touring XT is better than the Hyundai's. The exterior as well, the drive train, the platform, all better I'm sure. But after three newer generation Subaru's I'm going to give Hyundai a shot.
All the issues you mentioned are discoverable in more test drives and more research. Instead of doing that, you bought too soon, traded-in right away, and thereby lost thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,860 Posts
What kind of a bath did you take for the trade? Curious if all that “depreciates 20% when you drive it off the lot” conventional teaching is correct.
Even if the depreciation is $0, you are still double paying TT&L (tax, title, and license). If it was possible not to take a hit on trading in a recently bought new car, then researching and test driving would be unnecessary. You could just buy a new car on a whim, decide you don’t like it, trade it in, and continue that cycle until you find the car you want. Unfortunately, in reality, you will always lose money doing that. The house (dealer) always wins.

Anyway, every deal requires a crunching of its own numbers. So, any “conventional teaching” would be too generalized to be of any use in an actual deal. Even my rant above might be too generalized, but I have yet to hear one story of a consumer coming out ahead financially by trading in a recently bought new car.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
All the issues you mentioned are discoverable in more test drives and more research. Instead of doing that, you bought too soon, traded-in right away, and thereby lost thousands of dollars.
I guess some people have thousands to throw away. ?‍♀
Seems like a whole lot of hassle though - purchasing, registering, then selling a car within a year, but Im the "drive it into the ground" type myself as well.

I promise, my vinyl record collecting hobby - ****, even my turntable collecting-restoring hobby is not anywhere NEAR the cost of buying new and trading in cars within a year, or in the above case, weeks.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Guess it depends on one's hobbies. I've drag raced cars and motorcycles and built street/hot rods. Don't even want to think about how much I've spent on golf and guns over my lifetime. Trading daily drivers on a frequent basis is far more economical than any of those hobbies.

I suspect some of those that find this strange have no issue spending $1-2k every couple years for the latest and greatest cell phone.

All a matter of what floats your boat............and don't even get me started on that period of time when I thought owning a boat was good idea.

Reactions: Bebba1

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,033 Posts
Try souping that boat up! I've got a boat I paid 8 or 10 Grand for years ago. After everything was said and done I have over 30 Grand in it. I haven't had it in the water in 10 years(a wife thing) and only put 50 hours on it! The saddest part is I only used it once after we tweaked the tuning on it and it was fun as sh*t to embarrass dem Bass boats with their 250's and 300's hanging off the back! :LOL:

Guess it depends on one's hobbies. I've drag raced cars and motorcycles and built street/hot rods. Don't even want to think about how much I've spent on golf and guns over my lifetime. Trading daily drivers on a frequent basis is far more economical than any of those hobbies.

I suspect some of those that find this strange have no issue spending $1-2k every couple years for the latest and greatest cell phone.

All a matter of what floats your boat............and don't even get me started on that period of time when I thought owning a boat was good idea.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,301 Posts
I wouldn't fit that category. I doubt that I have even hit the $1K mark in lifetime total cell phone costs, including the phones, minutes, texts, and data. But I do tend to piss away a lot of money on other things that wouldn't interest others too, so it all balances out. I'm sure I've spent more money on belt buckles in the last ten years than cell phones, but I haven't worn one in over 30 years. ?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,443 Posts

Guns can be an investment. They generally don't lose value like a car, not nearly.
Believe it or not, I cut even or made a few bucks years ago on a cabin cruiser that I owned for 3 years (and used a lot). But I know, that's not how it usually goes with boats.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've run a lot of score sheets of the potential options and the Santa Fe is right there. For me though, it has two big problems: the closest dealer is an hour from where I work, slightly more from where I live, and the gas mileage is not very good. This is a 22 MPG vehicle.

But, on the good side, these things are loaded, have a great warranty, and the electronics (safety & infotainment) get rave reviews.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts