Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,860 Posts
Guns can be an investment. They generally don't lose value like a car, not nearly.
Believe it or not, I cut even or made a few bucks years ago on a cabin cruiser that I owned for 3 years (and used a lot). But I know, that's not how it usually goes with boats.
My guns and ammo have appreciated in value more than any of my other investments, including real estate and stocks.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
My guns and ammo have appreciated in value more than any of my other investments, including real estate and stocks.
OK, now you have me scratching my head. What ammo do you have that has appreciated? Most of my appreciating weapons from from WWII but I have no issues getting ammo for any of them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
  1. I rent cars a lot....last year i had a nissan rogue rental in texas and then due to a snafu had to drive 2 hours home from nashville in a sante fe....rogue was substantially more comfortable...not even close

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I had considered the SantaFe but went with the touring XT. I went with 4 - 200 friends for my test ride and the Santa Fe was a dog in both pick up and handling I’m planing on using the car for touring vacation where the car will be full with luggage the Outback has better fuel mileage also. I liked the electronics better on the Hyundai but Subaru was much more comfortable. I’m probable going to remove the CD player as I have no need for it and that will give me i little more console space. I did like the palisades better than the Outback but it was another 10000 and I have no need for the 3rd row seating .
Completely agree with you. The new XTs have a bigger engine but return better fuel economy. And the interior is rather nicer. But for me It's nice having the tech just work. Also a funny gripe about the Outback is no physical button for the auto start/stop which the Santa Fe has. But the auto start/stop in the Santa Fe is 100 times smoother and imperceptible than the Outback that I may just leave it on. :LOL:

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,301 Posts
Even if the depreciation is $0, you are still double paying TT&L (tax, title, and license).
The hit on these is worse in some states than others. Obviously in states with no sales tax that would eliminate one big hit. Some states treat sales tax on trades differently. Sometimes the trade in price is subtracted from the price of the new vehicle before sales tax is calculated which reduces the sales tax paid considerably. In some states you pay the sales tax on the price of the new car before the trade in value is subtracted. I can't even remember where Michigan is at on this. They were making changes and I think they give a partial allowance for trade in that isn't subject to sales tax. That was supposed to increase over time but I haven't paid much attention to the current status of it here. I'm sure there are differences in the title and licensing part as well between states. I know they recently closed a loophole in Michigan where you could transfer cheap plates from one vehicle to a different one that would otherwise have been very expensive.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
204 Posts
I live in NY but I bought my OB in PA (I live 6 miles from the border & work in PA currently). So I pay something like $75 for a 60 day temporary plate. Tax is due when I go in sometime in that 60 days and do the title & registration. So in theory, although I haven't done this so I may miss something, if I decided to trade in the OB before the 60 day plates expire, I would not have paid the TTL. Also in NY, I only have to pay the tax on the net purchase price after the trade in. I won't be doing this, I like my OB, but conceivably I would really only lose whatever depreciation is on the car.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,860 Posts
OK, now you have me scratching my head. What ammo do you have that has appreciated? Most of my appreciating weapons from from WWII but I have no issues getting ammo for any of them.
.40 S&W
.308 Win

I am comparing the prices from 15 years ago.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited, 3.6R, Abyss Blue
195 Posts
Enjoy the new ride. I suspect you are not alone in dislike for the full touch screen interface. I believe Subaru has narrowed their demographics by making that switch.
I wonder if I could sell my "last my late 2019 last of the great, smooth 3.6 no S/S OB's" and make a profit given all the disappointment and frustration I see everywhere for the 2020 OB?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Enjoy the Hyundai but come back to the forum when you realize you want the Subaru back and buy a 2021!
Well as I said in my OP. I've owned several newer Subarus and the infotainment system on them all, as with the 2020 Outback weren't ready for prime time. Not saying I won't be back to Subaru but it just maybe an older one. :unsure:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
You still in the Santa Fe? How's it been ?
Yes. No problems or troubles at all. Although only about 8000 miles on it. Mainly urban driving so fuel economy is down around 19-20MPG. But get it out on the highway or Interstate and it's a cruiser. I was pleasantly surprised. And as my co-worker has a 2020 Outback XT showed me his video the other day of his infotainment screen going blank while cruising down the Interstate. Couple that with the continued needing new parts or a software update that works for some and doesn't for others. I'm very glad I traded my 2020 Outback. The coming new 2021 Santa Fe looks really nice especially inside IMO. Although I'm also interested a turbo Subaru Forester. Which sounds like it might come to the US tail end of next year. But now having experience with a 360 camera, even in a smallish SUV/CUV. Subaru better up their game is what I'm saying.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
925 Posts
I had considered the SantaFe but went with the touring XT. I went with 4 - 200 friends for my test ride and the Santa Fe was a dog in both pick up and handling I’m planing on using the car for touring vacation where the car will be full with luggage the Outback has better fuel mileage also. I liked the electronics better on the Hyundai but Subaru was much more comfortable. I’m probable going to remove the CD player as I have no need for it and that will give me i little more console space. I did like the palisades better than the Outback but it was another 10000 and I have no need for the 3rd row seating .
Speaking of comfort, even though I have a 20 Legacy limited it's basically the outback. The other day I got in a 61k BMW 5 Series and I thought my seats where a touch more comfortable. I like the info screen and the way Subaru raised the console to put your hand closer to it. I'm a retired empty nester so I don't need gobs of storage but I think its ample . I like the small storage slot on the passenger side console and the space above the glovebox. My friend drives a 100k 8 series and he is impressed with the interior for a 30k car.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
817 Posts
Reactions: walker
41 - 60 of 70 Posts