Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
925 Posts
Yes. No problems or troubles at all. Although only about 8000 miles on it. Mainly urban driving so fuel economy is down around 19-20MPG. But get it out on the highway or Interstate and it's a cruiser. I was pleasantly surprised. And as my co-worker has a 2020 Outback XT showed me his video the other day of his infotainment screen going blank while cruising down the Interstate. Couple that with the continued needing new parts or a software update that works for some and doesn't for others. I'm very glad I traded my 2020 Outback. The coming new 2021 Santa Fe looks really nice especially inside IMO. Although I'm also interested a turbo Subaru Forester. Which sounds like it might come to the US tail end of next year. But now having experience with a 360 camera, even in a smallish SUV/CUV. Subaru better up their game is what I'm saying.
I like the 360 camera and I agree Subaru should have that option on certain models. They could take back the Driver Focus crap and give us the camera option. My other point is- For people who like to keep their cars forever how are these advanced head units/camera's going to hold up. I have a 30 year old Honda and besides normal maintenance everything works . Even the the A/C and radio with cassette!

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,860 Posts
I like the 360 camera and I agree Subaru should have that option on certain models. They could take back the Driver Focus crap and give us the camera option. My other point is- For people who like to keep their cars forever how are these advanced head units/camera's going to hold up. I have a 30 year old Honda and besides normal maintenance everything works . Even the the A/C and radio with cassette!
I have talked about this many times: headunits are now ancient after 5 years. In car reviews, you can commonly hear statements like, “This headunit looks like something from a few years ago and needs updating.” People are buying brand new cars merely because their headunits cannot run the latest software on the latest cell phone. There are ways to keep headunits up-to-date for longer, but why would a carmaker do that? From their perspective, the headunit is an easy way to get customers to keep trading in their cars for a newer model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes. No problems or troubles at all. Although only about 8000 miles on it. Mainly urban driving so fuel economy is down around 19-20MPG. But get it out on the highway or Interstate and it's a cruiser. I was pleasantly surprised. And as my co-worker has a 2020 Outback XT showed me his video the other day of his infotainment screen going blank while cruising down the Interstate. Couple that with the continued needing new parts or a software update that works for some and doesn't for others. I'm very glad I traded my 2020 Outback. The coming new 2021 Santa Fe looks really nice especially inside IMO. Although I'm also interested a turbo Subaru Forester. Which sounds like it might come to the US tail end of next year. But now having experience with a 360 camera, even in a smallish SUV/CUV. Subaru better up their game is what I'm saying.
Thanks for that! It's funny you mention that, bc I've been driving with a 360 camera for the past 3 years and it's one of the things that's been holding me back from the outback. Do I neeeed it? No. I drove for years without one, but the convenience factor of having one for parking in NYC is way up there. If I lived out in the suburbs or rural area I probably wouldn't care.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,283 Posts
Thanks for that! It's funny you mention that, bc I've been driving with a 360 camera for the past 3 years and it's one of the things that's been holding me back from the outback. Do I neeeed it? No. I drove for years without one, but the convenience factor of having one for parking in NYC is way up there. If I lived out in the suburbs or rural area I probably wouldn't care.
Supposedly coming on the 22 Forester first, followed by the rest of the lineup.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited
174 Posts
As Subaru 2020 seems to go with eliminating distracted driving, IMO the large touch screen is meant to be controlled with voice commands.
Problem is not all functions have a voice command.
Not a fan of Start/Stop either
I bought a 2019 while Subaru sorts this out.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
925 Posts
I have talked about this many times: headunits are now ancient after 5 years. In car reviews, you can commonly hear statements like, “This headunit looks like something from a few years ago and needs updating.” People are buying brand new cars merely because their headunits cannot run the latest software on the latest cell phone. There are ways to keep headunits up-to-date for longer, but why would a carmaker do that? From their perspective, the headunit is an easy way to get customers to keep trading in their cars for a newer model.
Understand, but software aside how long before the units die and have to be replaced? and how much will they be?

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Understand, but software aside how long before the units die and have to be replaced? and how much will they be?
Judging from posts in this forum, some don't make it to the first oil change.

I think it is too early to tell if they will hold up for 3 decades. IMO, I doubt it, but like the automaker, I only expect it to last 3 years or 36k miles.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,860 Posts
Good question, the weak link in the system is probably any flash memory. Maybe such a part can be replaced without replacing the whole unit. Just for a rough comparison, the flash drive in my laptop computer started acting funny after 5 years.

In contrast, my head unit in my 2002 Ford Escape has a radio and CD player, and that's about it. There is no flash memory or flash drive in there. It is rock solid and has fantastic sound. All it needs is an auxiliary jack or whatever input jack, and I could be happy with that head unit indefinitely.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well Hyundai's warranty is 10yr/100k mile. Except for the electronics which is 3yr. So they know what will fail first. Although it hasn't seemed to be a big problem for owners.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts