Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 3.6 Pearl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how many second or third Suby owners traded in or sold privately their previous cars ? i sold my original 02 Outback Sedan private deal. I had approximately 127 K

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
carmax, take it out to east haven, CT and say good by.

probably give you a better price then a dealer on trade,
and no dicking around with yahoos on craigslist looking to offer you "nothing".

what do you got?

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
While trade in offers are usually abysmal, you can get ahead by doing your due diligence.

For example, Edmunds undervalues the Outbacks tremendously, so a dealer that starts from there is unlikely to come up much.

A dealer that starts from Nada, by contrast, is a good bet. A dealer that starts from KBB may or may not be willing to play when confronted with an offer from a dealer using Nada. They all check or claim to check auction prices as well, but that's harder for you to know, I guess.

The trick is to get "good" for the service that rates your car most favorably, which may be top 3% or even over the top per another.

And so on.

If your state takes sales tax off for a trade in, you can come to within 500$ or so of what you can reasonably get private, at which point, why bother?

Then, if you are buying a vehicle that does not normally see good discounts, Costco is a good way to save some real money not just because of the pricing but also because it "disconnects the sway bar" meaning whereas normally a dealer will play the new and the trade in concert so as to give you here but take there, the Costco pricing decouples the transcations, fixes the price of the new, and it thus makes it much easier to say yay or nay based on the trade in.

There are variations in Costco pricing dealer to dealer but they are minor.

For a quick sale, Autonation now works like Carmax. They will take pictures and send them to a central location which will come back with an offer based on KBB. No way to come ahead that way, I think.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Lots of people do both. It could be 20% or 55%, doesn't much matter there's thousands of people selling privately and thousands of people trading in.

Selling outright can be advantageous.
But trading in is so simple, streamlined, and no dorking with paper work or owning two vehicles at once, etc.

Depending on variables there are tax advantages to trading in as well.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,642 Posts
The only way I’d trade a car in is if I had terrible credit. 9/10 times you get boned on the deal.
Tell me about it. Back in November We tried to trade our OB for a ‘18 crosstrek. Sales man offered 1500 lower than value. I came back with all docs supporting our asking price...gave bs reasons as to why the offer was what It was. Ended up walking away. It was insulting the way we were treated. Sad thing is there is only one suby dealer in our province...I would actually go to Nova Scotia to buy than have to deal with that jack ass again.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
Tell me about it. Back in November We tried to trade our OB for a ‘18 crosstrek. Sales man offered 1500 lower than value. I came back with all docs supporting our asking price...gave bs reasons as to why the offer was what It was. Ended up walking away. It was insulting the way we were treated. Sad thing is there is only one suby dealer in our province...I would actually go to Nova Scotia to buy than deal with that jack ass again.
A few years ago I was offered $8500 for my 3.0R Outback when it was valued at $14k. I laughed at him, I was only there to test drive a ‘13 STI hatch anyways.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Tell me about it. Back in November We tried to trade our OB for a ‘18 crosstrek. Sales man offered 1500 lower than value. I came back with all docs supporting our asking price...gave bs reasons as to why the offer was what It was. Ended up walking away. It was insulting the way we were treated. Sad thing is there is only one suby dealer in our province...I would actually go to Nova Scotia to buy if the dealership is not going to be competitive.
Update on this one...the long and the short of it is we are now the proud owners of a new quartz blue pearl crosstrek...purchased out of province. We traded our ‘16 RAV for it. Had to go where we were getting the best deal. Trade was 2g...possibly 3(upon inspection) higher than our suby dealer here offered...picking it up this weekend...Even with the travel there and back...huge savings.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
You did well!

Again, usually trade-in offers are awful, but with a little patience, it can be close enough to be worth it.

In my case, in between what I got for the OB and the tax savings from the trade, I was maybe 500$ south of what I could have reasonably gotten on the market, after all the hassle etc. But only two dealers played with me. All others were offering thousands less, with the nearest Toyota dealer offering 2/3 of what I traded the car for at another Toyota dealer 30 minutes away.

So, good trade-ins are tough but not impossible. With Costco fixing the price of the new vehicle, I only had to worry about negotiating the trade (and making sure I am not overloaded with options I do not want on the new one).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
Update on this one...the long and the short of it is we are now the proud owners of a new quartz blue pearl crosstrek...purchased out of province. We traded our ‘16 RAV for it. Had to go where we were getting the best deal. Trade was 2g...possibly 3(upon inspection) higher than our suby dealer here offered...picking it up this weekend...Even with the travel there and back...huge savings.

:smile2:

well, you can add that "global platform" crosstrek to your signature, or your profile thing at the left. (link is in my signature).

auto or manual?

eyesight?

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
:smile2:

well, you can add that "global platform" crosstrek to your signature, or your profile thing at the left. (link is in my signature).

auto or manual?

eyesight?
...must do that...CVT ..it gets the better mileage and no eyesight/tech package.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Trade to maximize convenience.

Sell privately to maximize value recovery.

I've done it both ways for different reasons over the years, but I think those rules have been constant and aren't likely to change.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
440 Posts
Anyone considering trade-in should bear in mind that trade-in value is negotiable like everything else when buying a new car. The salesperson can be your friend, because they're motivated to close the deal.

I usually sell my old cars privately, but when I bought my 2017 OB, I figured I'd see what they would offer for trade. Of course it was less than I wanted. I told the salesguy I'd have to think about the whole purchase because of the low trade in, and I walked away. A couple hours later, the salesguy called me and said he got the used car manager to up his offer by $800. With the sales tax savings, that put the trade-in within a couple hundred dollars of what I would have expected in a private sale, at which point it wasn't worth the effort to sell it myself.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
A logistical issue to consider in my case is I’ve lived almost exclusively since 2005 in apartment buildings where I only have a single assigned parking spot to work with, thus greatly pushing towards trading in vehicles. One I had a friend sell for me (he was already flipping used cars from Craigs List and had a place to keep cars) and that was problematic when he screwed up the ad by saying it had a new transmission when in fact it had a rebuilt transmission, and the buyer demanded some money back (I can’t blame the buyer, there is usually a difference between new snd rebuilt transmissions) so he ended up eating that cost.

I traded in my 2007 at around 123k with an (unsuccessfully) repaired head gasket by the local dealer, and it wasn’t in the best of shape: got about half private kbb (not surprised) at $2000, and between the problem of lack of parking for a second vehicle, and the relatively little potential upside for selling privately, I took it: besides the time I’d be jacked around dealing with people from craigs list, based on past craigs list experience, I know it’d likely more hassle than it’s worth.

Now, if I bothered to keep my cars with the original objective of always keeping a youngish car in warranty, I’d almost certainly would try to sell privately, I think, but there’s a wrinkle to that: in my experience, most people that buy used cars via private purchases don’t get car loans, so they pay for cars out of their current bank account, and aren’t likely to have a large enough balance to buy new enough used loaded Outback outright.

That friend of mine generally kept to the lower-priced, older cars to flip from craigs list (sometimes they’re free for the taking!), and he did well with that: people just generally wanted to get rid of those cars quickly, he could double their prices, spend a small amount of time in negotiating a sale to new buyers, because buyers didn’t need to deal with banks for financing, paying with cash or a cashier’s check.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,197 Posts
One reason I don't like to do the private sale thing is that there is often a reason I am ready to dump the current vehicle and get into something better. I live in a small community and I wouldn't want to stick a problem vehicle that I no longer have faith in on someone I know. And fully disclosing the reasons I am getting rid of it generally isn't going to be conducive to getting the best price. I wouldn't outright lie about trade-in to a dealer but since they aren't going to increase their trade offer if I try to tell them how great my car is I'm certainly not going to offer up any more information than I need to so they can reduce their offer either. They do this for a living so it is on them to find issues during their inspection. I won't lose any sleep if the dealer overlooks something.

In general I understand and accept why they offer what they do on trades. Sometimes you can push a little and get them to increase their offer, especially with a really clean vehicle with a good local history. But on the other hand if they can pick up an identical vehicle at auction for a certain price why would they buy yours for more than that amount? In many cases they are just going to ship the trade right to auction or sell it to a different used car dealership directly. They all need to have room to make a little profit along the way. That is business and that is life. I'm happy to take a little less rather than have to deal with selling stuff. But that is mostly because I hate selling things and the hassle of selling anything. I also work shift-work so often my times and days off don't match up with many potential buyers.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Best way to part with your older Subaru (IMO) is to pass it on to your younger generation (son, daughter, etc). Actually, the Subaru ads also dwell on this method.
This, of course, is providing there are no issues with your car otherwise your kids may not talk to you again...

Same as selling your car to a friend or someone, who you know. Your car may have been perfect but the minute you sell it to somebody, who you know, the car develops all kinds of problems. You may lose a friend...

If your car had "issues", or was involved in an accident, sell it to a stranger.

More expensive cars sell well on Autotrader; less expensive models sell well on Craigslist or parked on a street with "for sale" sign on it (not legal in some jurisdictions).

Carmax and such typically automatically deduct appx $ 2,000 from their buyout offerings. I go to them only to get an idea, what the car is worth (wholesale) since it's typically free of charge.

Also note that dealers and banks also have access to Kelly's "black" book - that book is not for public! That one seems to be the most accurate for dealers, if you are trading in the car in. It incorporates the value that dealers need to know, if cars are sold on auctions. Most of the dealers sell used cars on auctions, if they don't carry that brand/make on their lots.

One thing to remember is that used car lot is the backbone of any car dealership - that's where they make most money with the highest markup!

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
...Thar she be...purdy blue...
They threw in a cargo tray, rear seat back protectors,back bumper cover, wheel lock nut set, and floor mats...which I will replace with weather techs in the fall before the snow flies....and of course a better trade price and car price than our local dealer...now for the 950km trip back home...that should help break in the engine quite nicely.

Attachments

Reactions: Cortelli
1 - 17 of 17 Posts