Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 outback with a trailer hitch and the harness. I am confused by the harness. It is now rotted because it was connected on the outside/underneath of the car and seems to be wired through the fuel tank.
DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS KIND OF HOOKUP??

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
I have a 2002 outback with a trailer hitch and the harness. I am confused by the harness. It is now rotted because it was connected on the outside/underneath of the car and seems to be wired through the fuel tank.
DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS KIND OF HOOKUP??

Thanks for any help.
I've seen some seriously stupid and messed up Do your own stuff but this one would take the cake.

Trailer wiring should be pulled off the tail lights at the back of the car. Not run from the front under the car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a Do-It-Yourself job

This car was bought by me new from the Dealer with the hitch and wiring installed by the dealer.

So it sounds like your saying just the fact alone that this wiring enters the bottom of the fuel tank is "CRAZY".

Sure seems crazy to me. Can I take it back to the dealer and say fix it now?

I have 326 K miles on the car now and just noticed this little detail today because I now after many years need the trailer lights again. The harness now needs to be replaced from rot.

Boy! I better not let those wires short.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
This car was bought by me new from the Dealer with the hitch and wiring installed by the dealer.

So it sounds like your saying just the fact alone that this wiring enters the bottom of the fuel tank is "CRAZY".

Sure seems crazy to me. Can I take it back to the dealer and say fix it now?

I have 326 K miles on the car now and just noticed this little detail today because I now after many years need the trailer lights again. The harness now needs to be replaced from rot.

Boy! I better not let those wires short.
Fuel tank is under the rear seat - only hole in the fuel tank is in the top where a cap sits over the fuel pump.

My guess is that what your calling the fuel tank is the spare tire bin.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tire well VS fuel tank

Thanks SubieSailor that is the bottom of the spare tire well. Like my car I'm getting old and can't see well anymore, especially when its getting dark out. At least my car still runs well. I'll be able to reconnect inside the well now and leave the harness inside the car when not in use.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,857 Posts
That is the correct routing of the wiring! IIRC (I installed the Subaru hitch & harness over 11 years ago...), there is a T connector located behind a trim panel on the side just behind the right rear tire. You remove some of the cargo hold carpeted foam blocks to access it. The signal module mounts on the side of the spare tire wheel well, and the wire exit's thru a grommet in the floor of the tire pan. You then strap the 4 pin connector to the hitch near the receiver. I actually have pictures I shot in 2001 if you want to see it in living, vivid color! I cannot believe my baby ever looked so sparkling clean!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The spare well

My plan is to reconnect inside the spare well and then just pull it out as needed.
That way I won't face the corrosion issues that I did. I hate that green copper corrosion powder ... probably the leading cause of Alzheimers or something like that.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,857 Posts
Mine is still whole and works (at least as of a few months ago when I used the utility trailer last...), despite the tons of salt used around here. Keep it capped and restrained so that the wire & connector don't knock around. Once the insulation is damaged, it's all over!

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
My plan is to reconnect inside the spare well and then just pull it out as needed.
That way I won't face the corrosion issues that I did. I hate that green copper corrosion powder ... probably the leading cause of Alzheimers or something like that.
LOL
Ace hardware might have a large stopper - you can drill a hole through the center of it pass a screw with washers on both sides and plug the hole in the bottom of the tire bin. Snug up the bolt and the rubber stopper expands and locks into the hole.

I've been running with the trailer wiring in the trunk since 2001 when I wired my Legacy GT up to tow my racing sailboat. The clean wires in the spare tire bin that don't have road grime and damage on them is a big plus! Not to mention I still want to find out who it was that thought putting the wiring harness right next to the hitch was the thing to do? Any idea how many times I've pinched wires in a hitch on my truck because of that stupid plug mounted right next to the hitch? Far too many times and it never fails to either get pinched or end up having a short when its dark and raining outside.

Absolutely zero issues with keeping the harness in the trunk and simply using the trunk lid to position the wires and hold them out of the hitch when your using them. Works great haven't had a single problem with the pass it under the trunk lid approach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts