Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Torklift Ecohitch. It took no time to install and fitted perfectly. The best trailer hitch I have ever had.

Then I did the trailer light connector using the Curt 56040 converter, the Bargman 50-87-007 socket/cable, and the Curt 58000 bracket. That all went in perfectly. While the Curt converter plugs into the OEM trailer wiring point, it doesn't pick up the reversing light wire. I could not find any source for a connector which did, so I had to tap into that wire directly. For the battery charging wire, I used the cigarette lighter socket in the trunk as the trigger for the relay, as that I found is only energised when the ignition is on. The Curt bracket works very nicely, though not quite stiff enough.

I also added a set of PIAA 1500 auxiliary reversing lamps. It is not obvious from the photos, but installed sheets of 1/8" aluminum behind the plastic, and bolted to the frame using the black plastic underbody moulding fastening location. This provides much increased stiffness, rather than just mounting the lamps to the plastic.

I am just in the process of installing a bracket from the trailer socket bracket to the above aluminum plate to stiffen the trailer socket mounting. Currently it tends to push backwards when inserting a plug.

Photos and wiring diagram attached. Eagle eyed viewers will notice that the wiring diagram doesn't quite match the installation. I originally had the auxiliary reverse light activating all the time, but I am changing them to only activate when the running lights are on (e.g. night time).

Allan.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great, thanks. Looks like the best DIY hitch option I have seen so far, although a little pricey compared to Reese/Curt stuff.

Really like the backup lights you did OP, but probably beyond my level of electrical expertise.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R with Eyesight
350 Posts
Does eco hitch require any drilling or cutting or is it a straight bolt on?
You have to cut a notch in the underside of the plastic bumper to clear the hitch. Same for the factory hitch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Though this is linking to a 2015 post, I wish to thank ayates for his post and photos, and also GuyL for a similar post in 2013. It was not easy finding the information I needed to wire auxiliary reverse lights on my new outback. The car is black and with the tinted windows it made it very difficult backing into tight quarters. The reverse camera was fine, but it was the edges of the rear of the car I needed to see in the side mirrors. It was GuyL's post with a follow-up by Crrash that assisted, and then ayates that nailed the location of an easy to access reverse wire. Though I used it for auxiliary lights, it can also be used for the brake lock-out on a 5 or 7 blade trailer plug. I am writing to provide a little extra clarification to make it easier for the next person. After you have mobilized the plug behind the side panel near the front of the left cargo area (see the etrailer video for how), when you look at it from the rear of the car, it appears as in diagram #8 in the first post. In my late 2017 model, when you look at it from the rear seat with the seat back down, the wire colors (with the cut-out oriented up) are as follows: Left top, #3, (the reverse wire) is either a dark White or Gray. The other two are Red (#2) and then Green (#1) at the right top. Across the bottom from left to right (#8 to #4): Black, Dark Blue, Beige or Brown, Light Blue, Purple. When tested, the functions are as in the diagram above. I was unable to determine the purpose of the Dark Blue #7 wire. The plug in the car is female as in the GuyL post. The trailer light connector is male. Really missing the former convenience of Radio Shack, I was able to scrap/modify a similar male connector blade from something else and stick it into the single empty slot on the trailer light connector plug as ayates did. Other's could attach directly to the reverse wire with an automotive wire splice connector. I wired LED lights mounted on the rear mud flaps (thus low and pointing rear). This should help not blind someone behind. Initially, I just have one on each. I have two extra lights that I can wire in, if I feel I need more. With just the two, I am pleased with the result. My outback has the trailer hitch and wiring. It passes through the spare tire well following that wire. One additional note is that the Green (#1) wire is intriguing. If you need 12 volts for something else in the rear, it is 12 volts always on.

I am unable to provide the links as a I am new. The ayates post should be above. You can search for the GuyL post. The lights I installed were LED Rock Light White Kit from Amazon. Search for "Trailer Wiring Harness Installation 2017 Subaru Outback" for the etrailer video.

-Al

Reactions: Hogndogz
1 - 8 of 8 Posts