Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
MY04 OBS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a class I hitch from the local Subaru dealership. On one of the other forums (can't remember, either NASOIC or Scoobymods), they mention that to install the hitch, they had to cutout some of the bumper trim for clearance near the exhaust.

Have any of you installed a hitch on an 04 OBS? Did you have to do any cutting?

Hitch is a "Draw-tite"

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
I have one that was put on by the dealer before I picked it up and is an OEM part . There is some trimming necessary. It a narrow bit of trim on the underside, not anything visible looking straight on behind the car. Unfortunately it is not easily described or portrayed in a picture. :(

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
dumbass, aren't all Subaru hitches rated class III (3)? I thought so, anyway. I just wanted to confirm. Class three is 200lb tounge and up to 2000lb tow capacities. Is that not correct? Brian

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Nope they are class 1. The weights you describe are correct, Brian, but that is Class 1 and considered "Light Duty." Class 3 would be 500 lbs tounge and I think 5000 or 5500 lbs gross.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Speaking of trailer hitches...I was going to remove the hitch on my '99 OBS since I don't plan on using it, but upon closer inspection realized that one of the exhaust hangers is built into the bracket for the hitch. Is that normal, or did one of the previous owners have the hitch installed and decide that having the brakcet act as a hanger would be a good idea? :confused:

Matt

·
Registered
MY04 OBS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hitch mounting to exhaust bracket

ski4Ever - yep, that's correct, I have to do the same thing to install my hitch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, what I asked was whether this was something that came stock or whether the previous owner had this done. I guess it doesn't matter either way because no matter what I need to fab up some sort of new hanger when I remove the hitch.

·
Registered
MY04 OBS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry bout that...didn't really answer your question did I?

When the hitch is installed, 2 parts have to come off the car, a tow hook on the right side, and an exhaust hanger bracket on the left. It the install instructions, you're supposed to to keep these parts in case you want to remove the hitch later (but who ever really keeps their removed parts?).

You should be able to buy the orginal stock hanger somewhere.

·
Registered
MY04 OBS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, next question. I installed the hitch this past weekend (no cutting thankfully).

I'm going to be using the hitch to haul one of my dragonboats around Ontario whenever needed. It's a 20ft paddling boat. Including the trailer, I'm going to be at the higher end of the weight limitations for a class 1.

So I was wondering if I should be installing a transmission cooler, or if there's something else I could do to put less of a strain on things?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jeff

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,551 Posts
I would consider better brakes first maybe. Then , perhaps , tranny and engine oil coolers. Even small coolers help a lot. Cause you get cooler fluids AND greater volume.
Though I can't imagine Ontario with a heavy trailer being worse than Texas summers with a medium trailer - It gets really hot down here.

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
If you have a 4EAT, I'd definitely reccommend getting a trans cooler installed. Even without towing, they're a great benefit and help the longevity of your transmission. Then I'd go with 1 Lucky Texan's suggestion of better brakes, then maybe some suspension.

--Josh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts