Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT Green 2.4l turbo
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the trailer hitch installed at my Subaru dealer, please see picture below. My question is for anyone else that has a factory Subaru trailer hitch, is you hitch centered or is it offset like the picture below? Please only reply if you have the factory installed Subaru hitch. If you do have the factory hitch installed and it is centered, please post a picture of yours. Thank you!

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Gas

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it should be centered
I thought so, but I would like to have pictures to show the service manager what it should look like. He told me that they use a template and this is the way that they all look. I call BS!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,654 Posts
You're not the only one that had a botched hitch cutout. Luckily the part they cut is an inexpensive part that they can purchase and re-cut properly.

Here's one that looks properly cut:

·
Registered
2021 OB Touring XT
27 Posts
I had the trailer hitch installed at my Subaru dealer, please see picture below. My question is for anyone else that has a factory Subaru trailer hitch, is you hitch centered or is it offset like the picture below? Please only reply if you have the factory installed Subaru hitch. If you do have the factory hitch installed and it is centered, please post a picture of yours. Thank you!

View attachment 548936

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,654 Posts
One member that had an off-center cutout just cut the close side out further so that it was a symmetrical but wider opening and he liked that it made putting the chain on easier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine turned out very well. I had spoken to the technician about the install because I downloaded the templates and was going to do it myself, but the whole "arts & crafts" of taping the templates together, then to the bumper just seemed really hokey. It just so happened he had one on the lift so he walked me through the process and shared some of his tips, he was very cool, took about 30 minutes of his time. I asked if he used the exhaust gaskets that came with the kit, or just reused the original ones since the car was new. He said if he didn't use the ones in the kit, that would be stealing since I paid for them. I appreciated his honesty, so I had him do it and was glad I did.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT Abyss Blue Pearl
756 Posts
If they follow the template it will be off center. I wasn't happy with ours but I don't notice it anymore. Silver has the fix, cut out the other side to match.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine is centered, but I did it. It really wasn't hard to center the template when I did mine, so I'm not sure how this gets screwed up by anyone. Just check before you cut and adjust it if it's not centered.

I'd definitely make them fix it since I doubt that the edge trim will go back on correctly after it's taken off. It has adhesive in it. Bending that goofy thing on was one of the more tedious parts of my hitch install.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the record, I did order the trailer hitch at the time I ordered my car and it was supposed to be on the car when I took delivery. From what I understand, the trailer hitch is not installed at the factory, it is installed at the port. My car did not receive the hitch installation because the port was out of hitches and that is why mine was installed at the dealer. FWIW, I am very happy with my salesman, however I am beginning to be concerned with the service department. So far they have made 2 attempts to properly cut the plastic bumper to accommodate the receiver. So far there have been 2 failures.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
659 Posts
For the record, I did order the trailer hitch at the time I ordered my car and it was supposed to be on the car when I took delivery. From what I understand, the trailer hitch is not installed at the factory, it is installed at the port. My car did not receive the hitch installation because the port was out of hitches and that is why mine was installed at the dealer. FWIW, I am very happy with my salesman, however I am beginning to be concerned with the service department. So far they have made 2 attempts to properly cut the plastic bumper to accommodate the receiver. So far there have been 2 failures.
I would have just left it, you don't drive from the rear anyways. And as you said the service center probably doesn't care much since it's semi-warranty work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would have just left it, you don't drive from the rear anyways. And as you said the service center probably doesn't care much since it's semi-warranty work.
Correct I do not drive from the rear, I can't see the rear of the car when I'm driving. I also can't see the front or the sides while I'm driving. However I can see the rear of my car every day, several times a day. Let me ask you this...
If you went to the barber to get a haircut and one side of your hair was longer, would you say it's OK because you can't see the side of your head? Sure your hair will grow back. However my bumper will not grow back. If you go to a restaurant and order a steak with baked potato and they bring you just the steak, would you expect to also get the potato? If you ordered your steak to be cooked medium rare and they brought you as steak cooked well done, would you accept it? A steak dinner might cost you $20-$30 and you expect to get what you paid for correct? I paid over $40,000 for my OB, should I not expect to get what I paid for too?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts