Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer wanted a crazy amount to install a trailer hitch. So I think I'm just going to purchase one myself and put it on. Are there any that people prefer? Hopefully I can narrow it down to one that is relatively easy to install. I would prefer to 2 inch since that is the size of my bike rack. I could use an adapter but I would rather avoid it if I can. I wont ton anything really heavy so that isnt a big concern. Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
One word....torklift. I have a review and install video coming out this week on YouTube. I worked with them on a redesign of the gen 5 hitches and the new one is a lot better. My YouTube name is WhiteKnuckle392

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,208 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
One word....torklift. I have a review and install video coming out this week on YouTube. I worked with them on a redesign of the gen 5 hitches and the new one is a lot better. My YouTube name is WhiteKnuckle392
+1. Here's mine (2") on my '18 Touring.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,208 Posts
Why does it go to a clutch override switch article?

got a link for that,

my link comes up as just right to the towing section.

_______

1 thing that I can guess at that are happening, you are double clicking and the second click is hitting on a 2nd link for the clutch page. but you are never seeing that 2nd page, ...and it is jumping right to the clutch page as a 3rd thing.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5
116 Posts

Does the EcoHitch require cutting the underside of the rear bumper cover of a 2018?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Does the EcoHitch require cutting the underside of the rear bumper cover of a 2018?

Yes they all do. I just posted a video on my channel on YouTube (whiteknuckle6.2) regarding the new design and I’m posting the install video today on my 2018 limited.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5
116 Posts
Yes they all do. I just posted a video on my channel on YouTube (whiteknuckle6.2) regarding the new design and I’m posting the install video today on my 2018 limited.

Thanks, can you post the link when you have it up? Sure hope that cut section looks clean. Sounds like something I'd have to take to a body shop to do.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Based on the feedback here, and the look of the Torklift EcoHitch, I have decided this is the route I want to take. ETRAILER has some excellent videos for installation, so I'm thinking that they are the preferred vendor. Please advise if I should purchase somewhere else and why. I also need a wiring harness and see two listed on ETRAILER, the T-One and the Curt T-Connector. Any advice on selecting from these two options?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Based on the feedback here, and the look of the Torklift EcoHitch, I have decided this is the route I want to take. ETRAILER has some excellent videos for installation, so I'm thinking that they are the preferred vendor. Please advise if I should purchase somewhere else and why. I also need a wiring harness and see two listed on ETRAILER, the T-One and the Curt T-Connector. Any advice on selecting from these two options?

Thanks!

The Curt is the one I went with. I also gave my Eco Hitch a coat of Krylon Rust Inhibitor its called Rust Tuff Enamel and purchased it at my local parts store.

·
Premium Member
2016 OB Premium
95 Posts
I have the Stealth hitch. It attaches like the OEM and is totally invisible until you attached the receiver. Took about 4 hours to install, no cutting except for the bottom bumper plastic. Quality product. A little pricey but worth it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ ES
18 Posts

Thanks!
Another Ecohitch here. Bought mine directly from Torklift during one of their periodic sales. My install took a bit longer because I wanted to save the foam bumper piece, but it wasn't bad at all. Hardest part was getting one of the clips to engage when putting the bumper back on. It was fairly cold that day, so the plastic wasn't very pliable. I'm betting it would've been easier with warmer ambient temps.

Here it is with the bumper cover removed

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
My install of the Torklift Ecohitch on my 2018 Outback Limited.

Reactions: outtbackk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 H-4, CVT
4 Posts
Slightly off topic, the dealer warned me if I get hitch installed at uhaul or elsewhere the bumper warranty would not be covered. I was wondering if you guys were told anything similar. I don't like to take their words face value.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'16 Outback 2.5i Limited - Eyesight
83 Posts
+1. Here's mine (2") on my '18 Touring.
+2 on the EcoHitch. It looks cleaner, isn't that difficult and it sure saves money when you do it yourself...

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,114 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
17 Posts
I have the Stealth hitch. It attaches like the OEM and is totally invisible until you attached the receiver. Took about 4 hours to install, no cutting except for the bottom bumper plastic. Quality product. A little pricey but worth it.
Did you install a wiring harness with it? If so, the stealth hitch brand or other?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts