Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 outback Touring 2.5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm towing a pop-up camper with my Outback. No problems at all and I did have brakes installed on the trailer, big difference. The hitch( from Subaru) is fine but too low. Can I flip it and put the ball on the high side or get a new one that is made that way. The one that I had for my Jetta curved up, it was from Uhaul. I don't know if it would affect it structually or not. Has anyone done this to gain a few more inches in height.
Thanks

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
So the inserted riser or drop bar is something you need to purchase based on your trailer ride height. Its not a part you get generically and your set.

I own three and depending on the trailer and which car Im towing with I choose the riser or drop that places the trailer at near level orvery very slight nose down. Never ever tow a trailer with the hitch raised higher than the axle height ie tipped so the trailer is higher in the front than the rear this induces instability. Nose down adds stability.

Typically a fixed bar ie non adjustable bar can serve as a drop bar or riser you simply flip it and reinstall the ball.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,446 Posts
I'm towing a pop-up camper with my Outback. No problems at all and I did have brakes installed on the trailer, big difference. The hitch( from Subaru) is fine but too low. Can I flip it and put the ball on the high side or get a new one that is made that way. The one that I had for my Jetta curved up, it was from Uhaul. I don't know if it would affect it structually or not. Has anyone done this to gain a few more inches in height.
Thanks
Simple.

edit:

How-to:
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-ballmount.aspx

You need a draw bar with a rise. You can flip your existing drawbar if it has a drop in it.

Also, measure from the ground to to top of the receiver opening (without the trailer). Then level the trailer and measure from the ground to the bottom of the ball adapter. Figure the difference and that's the amount of rise you need.

You can take your trailer to a local UHaul and they can figure that for you, sell you a new ball and drawbar and assemble it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts