Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would report on pulling my 1400 lb. Chalet popup trailer from north of SF to Death Valley, CA. My 2013 CVT Outback has about 20,000 miles on it now and averaged 24 mpg calculated on the trip down, about 600 miles and about 23 on the way back where I had a strong headwind.

I used cruise control for a large portion of the trip on the freeway sections including over the Tehachapi mountains. The cruise control picked the perfect speed going up major hills and the only thing one noticed was the rpms increasing. The 1400 lb. trailer with electric brakes hooked up to a Prodigy controller and Torklift hitch never swayed and for the most part I did not really feel it.

The entire trip was some 1350 miles and the Subaru was faultless. I also did some off-road in a section south of the park that I had never gone to and again the car was excellent. I crossed the Amargosa river about 4 times in shallow water. Still using the Continental tires which are fine for Class II-III roads which I was on when they are dry.

Found myself missing my old Landcruiser, but am totally impressed with Outback's ability to pull the trailer and off-road capabilities and do not miss the maximum 15mpg of my 1985 Landcruiser.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That sounds great! I am considering a purchase of a [email protected] trailer (euro model). I have the same 2013 Outback w/ CVT. How much "extra" weight do you think you had in the car/trailer? Things like sleeping bags, chairs, food, water, stove, etc...

·
Registered
'15 Forester 2.5 CVT
198 Posts
Windage profile makes a big impact on the OB for towing. The [email protected] trailer is tall and they are expensive. There are far better options out there for the money.
Near Quebec City, we have a trailer company that makes GM Savana/M-B Sprinter Class-B motorhome conversions. Safari-Condo also makes lightweight trailers, named Alto. Go to this site, it's very interesting for somebody who wants trailer that can be towed by an Outback.

Alto 1743

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
FWIW, cooling the transmission is going to be very important and I would install a transmission oil cooler. CVT or not, high temps are the death knell for automatic transmissions and Death Valley isn't exactly a cool place, temp wise at least...:D
The Outbacks are capable cars and can tow more in the ROW than in the litigious US, but you still have to take precautions to prevent issues later on. YMMV

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The Alto is very nice and I wish it was available in the US.. We're stuck with overweight or overpriced stuff...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Look up livinglite rv. They do custom builds based on their standard light weight platforms. Very interesting company and product built in Indiana.
Thanks! I am aware of Livinglite and like their products and they seem to build good stuff. It is just a shame there aren't more lightweight choices that are good and cool looking at the same time.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
The Alto is very nice and I wish it was available in the US.. We're stuck with overweight or overpriced stuff...
You are correct. This applies not only to travel trailers but also to motorhomes. Each time when I see what they have available in Europe, and compare that to my beast, I can only go into a corner and cry silently!

The RV industry in the US is there where the automobile industry was in the 10 70s and early 1980s, while the rest of the world has moved on to the 2013s!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You are correct. This applies not only to travel trailers but also to motorhomes. Each time when I see what they have available in Europe, and compare that to my beast, I can only go into a corner and cry silently!

The RV industry in the US is there where the automobile industry was in the 10 70s and early 1980s, while the rest of the world has moved on to the 2013s!
Right and the US car industry is still behind Europe and Japan....Technologies available there are not coming to the US, because of archaic policies and government stupidity..Just look at the diesel market, either car or truck. Euro OTR trucks pull the same cargo US trucks do, but use half the fuel. I have a client in the trucking industry who wishes he could get Eurospec big rigs...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The amount of weight I had in my Chalet trailer would have only been about 150 lbs. The trailer itself is about 1300 without water. I also do have a metal tool box in the tongue area which house a small Yamaha generator. Both the Aliner and Chalet trailers are light. My Chalet sleeps up to 4 people and I have had it in the snow at Mammouth in a snowstorm which dropped 30" in one night. I have found this type of trailer much more practical than a tent type unless you need the extra room for more children. I have had the Chalet in up to 60+ mph winds when on the desert and all the tents are basically collapsed and/or unliveable. I also have taken it off road with my Honda Pilot about 7 years ago and it can handle class 1 or 2 roads. My older 2006 MT Outback pulled it with no problem, but backing up was a bit of a chore due to the MT. The CVT gets rid of all such problems. I feel the CVT 2.5i could easily handle an additional 500 lbs and still not be stressed.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
Thanks for the report. I can't say the same about my'12. I have to keep the speed 60 or lower. Only really feels safe at 55 or less. Only towing 1000 lbs.

Ps subiesailor, you already lectured me twice trying to blame the trailer. It's set up fine. Had in 10 years. Towed it with the 97 odyssey (nearly identical curb weight, height, wheelbase as the OB), the 00 Golf, 03 Dodge, no problems with any of those up to 70mph.

My OB gets pushed off line in corners with bumps or wind. No way could I ever approach the rated max for this one. (What, 2400, 2800? No way).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts