Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Baja H4 EJ25 - heads rebuilt and new short block 10/14 -- AND 2004 35th Anniversary Edition OB H6
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the threads and gone through a lot of info. but need a little more... I tow a 1600 lb. camper behind my '04 outback 3.0 sometimes. I put new KYB struts all around. Tongue weight was about 170. I was surprised that it still didn't handle pot holes very well. The slams sometimes made me cringe...? I know that it "bottoms out" sometimes and the "rubber bumpers" make contact with the underside of the body and makes a sort of "deep" sound, but (and I know this might sound weird but I hope someone can visualize/understand what I'm trying to say...) - The more disturbing sounds are sharper and louder - to an uneducated person (like me) it feels/sounds more like the wheel falls into the pothole, hits the other edge of the hole and gets slammed back into something else...?

Anyway..... I have the following questions:
1. Can anyone imagine something that could have been done wrong during the installation of new rear lateral arms and that whiteline kit that allows rear camber adjustment? Here's a really dumb question but, are those parts meant to "twist" on each other on the outside portions of the rubber or poly bushing? Could they be so tight and restricted as to cause a problem?
2. What is the potential effect of having the rear springs "clocked" wrong? Obviously, the end of the spring fits into the formed receiver on the strut correctly but that receiver can be turned to any position you want....??
3. Opinions upon all the above and on what you might do first - heavy duty rear sway bar? or Heavy duty springs?

Thanks all! - love this site!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Are you sure you're hearing the suspension?

Trailer hitches, receivers, drawbars and chains all knock and clank quite sharply, even when everything is rigged correctly. Is there any chance this is what you are hearing?

Maybe toss a few hundred pounds of stuff in the back of the car and see how it sounds on those roads with the heavy weight on the rear but without any trailer.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
what rasterman just said.

also if it truly is making a suspension related noise then presumably there's a good chance of narrowing it down to drivers side or passengers side?

also - i would have installed new springs at the same time as the struts - get the stiffer/slightly taller baja turbo rear springs for towing.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,486 Posts
bottoming out such a car usually requires 800 lbs inside and you get juice leaking out the struts as proof.

I wonder if such sounds could come from the ball hitch,...or the trailer itself with its simple suspension.

somewhere I read of people using go pro style cameras and or microphones around the car to find where the noise is actually coming from.

@traildogck might have more suggestions.

and moved thread to towing section / updated title.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
I agree with others to make sure the noises are not coming from the trailer or the hitch.

If the new lateral arms (stock? or aftermarket?) OR the WL camber kit are loose, then that could be it. If the camber kit came loose the upper control arm is rattling against the rear knuckle.

You can't put the springs in wrong. Well you can if they are not seated and it's moving in the perch. Pics always help.

·
Registered
2003 Baja H4 EJ25 - heads rebuilt and new short block 10/14 -- AND 2004 35th Anniversary Edition OB H6
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some Good ideas here - I will report back after more testing... - still wondering how bushings work (?) and if "clocking" of springs is important...?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts