Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to order a plug-n-play trailer wiring kit online for my '05 Sedan but I'm not finding any places that offer them for my car. They all offer the kind that you have to splice in but nothing that's just a plug and go.

I dug through the Service Manual and it looks like the sedans don't come with that nifty pre-wired trailer harness plug in the trunk/hatch area. Can anyone confirm that?

Sure, I can wire in a trailer wiring kit but would prefer not to if I don't have to. I'm really hoping that little connector is there but not mentioned correctly in the SM.

Thanks!
Shawn

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I recall the sedans don't have the trailer harness plug. I simply bought a Reese trailer light mixing box. I think it was $12 back in 2001. It's been wired up to two different cars over the years. Simply tapped into the tail lights kept it under the trunk floor. Zero issues in either car. I did the careful wire insulation strip without cutting the tail light wires then dropped a little solder and bingo all set. Maybe 30 minute job for a first timer who has soldered wires before. The Reese box comes with the instructions very simple effort.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked etrailer and amazon and both had nothing (except for the wire in kind). I was just hoping that maybe I was wrong about not having the connector but oh well. I'll just get the one from etrailer and call it a day. I wonder why though, Subaru decided not to put the connector in the sedans? Maybe they thought that no one would tow with them?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts