Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Outback for about a month now, and I have done some exploring in and around Houston. This may be the fourth largest city (and growing) in the country, but there are plenty of off road opportunities. And I’m not talking about cutting through the grass and hopping the curb to exit 290 during a traffic jam.

If you have had luck finding a place to take your Outback off road in the Houston area, reply to this thread with the info. It would be nice to see other Outbacks jumping curbs around here.

Trails can be difficult to find in and around Houston if you don't know where to look or what to look for. Typically, any kind of new construction where trees have been removed from a swath of land can yield a good trail/service road. But be careful which line you take: There are a lot of big-wheeled mudders around here, and you could easily find yourself stuck in some deep ruts.

First and foremost, look for No Trespassing signs. You don’t want to trespass on private property when looking to have a little fun. But if there’s no sign and you see tire tracks leading off into the woods or along a creek, go for it. You can always say that there was not a No Trespassing sign where you came in. NOTE: I have found No Trespassing signs where I come out. However, I was not stopped by anyone, but it could have been trouble if they had caught me.

Some of these trails...if not all of them over time...will be gone. This city is always growing, and more and more of our wooded areas are going away. Enjoy them while you can, where you can.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Old Farm Trail

I have had some luck finding trails in peculiar places, such as in the Galleria area. Look up Old Farm Road on Google. It is a strip of road that stretches between Westheimer and Fondren. Take a right onto Old Farm from Westheimer and, once you past the first apartments on the right-hand side of the road, you will come up to an "empty" stretch of land that is heavily wooded. If you look, you will see the trailhead. Jump the curb and take a tour. There isn't a No trespassing sign. You will be surprised at the network of trails you find right in the middle of town. Actually, if you've flown into Houston (Bush or Hobby) during the day, you have seen how much of this city is wooded, so perhaps you will not be surprised. But beware: I went out there after a good rain and the trail was not passable in the Outback. You'll find a pretty steep climb up a berm that's about two-stories high. I've done it a couple of times in the Outback, and it gets the blood flowing when all you can see is sky through the windshield. Don't worry, you will NOT high-center when you crest at the top. At least I didn't. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sam Houston National Forest

I've taken my 2013 Outback to Sam Houston National Forest (west side of 45) and driven many of the roads <entered at Calvary Road north of Willis off 45>...even took it down some side trails that were wide enough for the wagon. I also found a couple of good mud holes<one of them was off Forest Road 214>. If you’re looking for a scenic ride and some out-of-the-way hiking trails, SHNF is a good destination. However, the off road trails are not that challenging. The Old Farm trail is much more of a challenge for the Outback.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Git Yer Tahrs Muddeh

Perry and Mills on northwest side

Before you get to Perry while heading south, southeast on Mills, you'll see the trails on the left, leading into the woods.

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5 5spd 200k
1 Posts
Nice Trail i always go to

Hey guys i have been silently lurking around for quite some time now but i have had my outback for around a month now and just had to register when i saw this thread there is a really nice trail right on fm1960 and kuykendahl right by I-45 its not private property and people always go fishing back here and when it rains its really nice to go muddin at. I have taken my outback all the way through the trail with stock suspension and tires and have had no problems

If you put in 17101 Kuykendahl rd, Houston Tx 77068 on google maps satellite view just north of this you can see a creek and a trail running east and west of the bridge it is a real nice trail and ive never had any problems going here

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Hey guys i have been silently lurking around for quite some time now but i have had my outback for around a month now and just had to register when i saw this thread there is a really nice trail right on fm1960 and kuykendahl right by I-45 its not private property and people always go fishing back here and when it rains its really nice to go muddin at. I have taken my outback all the way through the trail with stock suspension and tires and have had no problems

If you put in 17101 Kuykendahl rd, Houston Tx 77068 on google maps satellite view just north of this you can see a creek and a trail running east and west of the bridge it is a real nice trail and ive never had any problems going here

Every piece of land in texas is owned by someone, no public property,better find who owns the land before illegal wheeling.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cy-Creek Trail is Great

Gotmud?, that is a great spot. I went out there today and saw another Jeep and a kid on a bike. There were some pretty gnarly spots out there, but where there's a will, there's a way. It has gotten pretty dry, but there were still some pretty good mud holes.

I had forgotten all about this spot. I went to Cy-Creek High School and had been out here with my CJ-5 back in the early 90s. It's great to see it's still active.

Let me know if you know of any other spots. And I don't worry about trespassing where it's not posted. **** you, I'm from Texas.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every piece of land in texas is owned by someone, no public property,better find who owns the land before illegal wheeling.
Really, no public property? Who owns the state parks? Who pays for their maintenance? Who owns the national parks in Texas? Who owns the easements along the creeks and bayous?

I see you're from Dallas. This is why we say everything north of Conroe is yankee land.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Really, no public property? Who owns the state parks? Who pays for their maintenance? Who owns the national parks in Texas? Who owns the easements along the creeks and bayous?

I see you're from Dallas. This is why we say everything north of Conroe is yankee land.
Most Texas state parks dont allow wheeling.

Most Creeks in Texas runs on Private Property.

Texas has lots of info on what you can do in Creeks and Rivers
TPWD: Texas River Guide; If A River Runs Through It, What Law Applies?

September 1, 2003. The heart of S.B. 155 is its prohibition against operating a motor vehicle in or on a protected freshwater area, beginning January 1, 2004

The term "protected freshwater area" means those state-owned or publicly accessible portions of a navigable river or stream above tidewater limits.15 In Texas, this area is the land between the "gradient boundary"16 on each side of the river. The definition of "navigable stream" comes directly from the definition of a "statutory navigable stream" in the Texas Natural Resources Code

Illegal wheeling causes problems for everyone.

http://treadlightly.org/

Visit that... Me coming from a avid Offroading in the Jeep community. We thrive to teach people to Tread Lightly.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most Texas state parks dont allow wheeling.

Most Creeks in Texas runs on Private Property.

Texas has lots of info on what you can do in Creeks and Rivers
TPWD: Texas River Guide; If A River Runs Through It, What Law Applies?

September 1, 2003. The heart of S.B. 155 is its prohibition against operating a motor vehicle in or on a protected freshwater area, beginning January 1, 2004

The term "protected freshwater area" means those state-owned or publicly accessible portions of a navigable river or stream above tidewater limits.15 In Texas, this area is the land between the "gradient boundary"16 on each side of the river. The definition of "navigable stream" comes directly from the definition of a "statutory navigable stream" in the Texas Natural Resources Code

Illegal wheeling causes problems for everyone.

Tread Lightly

Visit that... Me coming from a avid Offroading in the Jeep community. We thrive to teach people to Tread Lightly.
I don't care.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Conroe/Willis, Off 830

Just north of Conroe, exit 830 and head west. Before you get to Old Montgomery Road/Little Egypt Road (flashing yellow light), you'll see an area to the left where a shitload of trees have been mowed down to make way for a new road, I guess. Hop down through that opening and you'll see trails shooting off from this area. Some of the areas are pretty treacherous, but don't be a *****. Your rice-burner wagon will make it.

The attached map shows the roads.

The Google Earth map shows the trails back in the woods (as well as some other entrances), but it has not been updated to show the new "construction," which is on hold. There were no crews out there when I was out there yesterday (mid-day Tuesday).

Happy trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Black Outback 3.6R w/Special Appearance
26 Posts
You go Aorys! I'm tired of driving my Subie up and down 45 and the Beltway... I'm sure most peeps don't give it a second thought to see a "street car" bouncing down the dirt path...but a good ole' Texas monster truck with 44"s.. that's not treading lightly!

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You go Aorys! I'm tired of driving my Subie up and down 45 and the Beltway... I'm sure most peeps don't give it a second thought to see a "street car" bouncing down the dirt path...but a good ole' Texas monster truck with 44"s.. that's not treading lightly!
There are some good trails out there, real fun stuff. Watch out after a good rain though. These jap cars will get stuck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, not quite an outback owner, I drive a forester, but I HAD to register when I found this thread. this is my first vehicle that has any capability whatsoever to go offroading, and I have had no idea where to take it in the houston area. I'm actually living in huntsville right now for college, and was wondering if anyone is heading out to muddy gras this weekend? not sure if I'm going to take my subbie through anything crazy, as I don't have the tools to remove my sway bars, but it looks like it should be a good time nonetheless.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Take Sawdust off 45 and head west. Go all the way until it Ts into Glennloch and take a left into the neighborhood. Go right in any of those roads and you will eventually see trails going toward Spring Creek. There is a whole network of trails out there.

I haven't been on here in a while, so I didn't see the post about Muddy Gras. Let me know how it was if you made it.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2.5, 2016, 2.5 2014
9 Posts
Are your outbacks lifted or stock? Wonder how safe it is to do the trails on stock tires and suspension...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts