Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Subaru Outback w/ 115k miles. I recently noticed some 'oil' spots on the driveway underneath the left front, just inside the tire. Looking under the hood, there is oil underneath the coolant overflow tank (not in the overflow tank), and 'oil' is apparently leaking from a pipe which appears to connect to the bottom of the radiator at the center; there are in fact two parallel pipes at the same general location (I can't find my Haynes manual!).

The leak appears to be at a junction where the pipe transitions from metal to 'flexible hose'.

Is this a transmission fluid coolant line? It's difficult to say if the 'oil' is engine or red transmission fluid.

FWIW, the outback had the HG warranty work done years ago.

TIA,

Mark

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,501 Posts
Replace the short section of hose and use new clamps unless you find the line is rusted through.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the confirmations. I did get a hand down to the piping (it's the lower of the two pipes), the fluid is red(ish) but more concerning is that the metal pipe is rusting. It looks like about 1 inch of (observable)metal is affected. The upper piping appears to be ok.

Mark

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,501 Posts
Thanks for the confirmations. I did get a hand down to the piping (it's the lower of the two pipes), the fluid is red(ish) but more concerning is that the metal pipe is rusting. It looks like about 1 inch of (observable)metal is affected. The upper piping appears to be ok.

Mark
You could trim the rusted area out and use a longer hose. Be sure its clamped tight.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Handed it to my local mechanic, and as suggested, he cut back the hard pipe to good metal and used a longer replacement flexible hose. A side benefit was he replaced the transmission fluid and filter; car shifts much better than before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts