Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm away from home and don't have my accumulated resources at hand, so please excuse this maybe being a dense question.

I've got my (original) 99 Legacy w/ 2.5L DOHC (that's "phase 1", right?), presently on ice because it needs new connecting rod bearings. It's an auto, and the tranny seems to be okay.

I just got a 99 Forrester w/ a good 2.5L single cam ("phase 2"?) and a bad tranny. The shifting is really nasty - apparently the previous owner made a little boo-boo and put engine oil in the tranny. My guess is that this hopelessly contaminated the clutch plates and it's going to need a rebuild (more informed views than my ignorant speculation are welcome).

Seems to me that in the short term I could build a working Forrester by swapping my Legacy tranny into the Forrester. Is it a fit?

Thanks.

Jonathan

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
99 was an odd, cross over, year.

the outback (and GT i think) got the phase 1 ej25 DOHC engine and the phase 2 4eat auto trans.

the forester got the phase 2 ej25 SOHC engine and the phase 1 4eat auto trans.

if these are the cars you have you can not easily swap either engine or either trans. having said that the one possibility you might have is to use the good short block from the forester and the good? heads /intake from the outback to put an engine in the outback.

the only thing i'm not sure about is if the pistons in the phase 2 block will clear the valves in the phase 1 heads. i'm pretty sure it will work, but you may need a very specific head gasket . i'm just don't know.

but i do know for sure, the trans in the outback will not swap int o the forester, and the engine in the forester, as it sits, will not swap into the outback.

hth.

EDIT, this assumes that canada got the same cars as the US.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts