Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm away from home and don't have my accumulated resources at hand, so please excuse this maybe being a dense question.

I've got my (original) 99 Legacy w/ 2.5L DOHC (that's "phase 1", right?), presently on ice because it needs new connecting rod bearings. It's an auto, and the tranny seems to be okay.

I just got a 99 Forrester w/ a good 2.5L single cam ("phase 2"?) and a bad tranny. The shifting is really nasty - apparently the previous owner made a little boo-boo and put engine oil in the tranny. My guess is that this hopelessly contaminated the clutch plates and it's going to need a rebuild (more informed views than my ignorant speculation are welcome).

Seems to me that in the short term I could build a working Forrester by swapping my Legacy tranny into the Forrester. Is it a fit?

Thanks.

Jonathan

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.