Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can replace a TZ1A2ZJEBA transmission (the old one) with a TZ1A3ZS1BA (the new one). I can see that the new one has a sensor in the bell housing that the old one does not have and that the bell housing is cast differently in this area, but other than that, they look very much the same.

Also, I'm presuming that the TZ1A portion of the number deals with the fact that this is an automatic transmission, but I don't know what the rest of the numbers mean and I haven't been able to find a resource for automatics.

Thanks.

Edit: Car is a 99 Outback with a 2.5 DOHC engine.
Edit: I changed the number on the "new" transmission. I had the second Z as a "7" orginally.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i don't have a lot of experience with the forester, but i think the TZ1A3 is a forester trans. however i do not think the number listed for it is correct.

i have not seen an auto trans with a number that starts with TZ1A37S this looks wrong. it could be right since it is probably a forester but it looks funny.

what year, car model is the ''new'' trans?

TZ1A does not refer to auto trans.
in the 90s they were TZ102Zxxxx.
the 99 outback is the first of the phase 2 trans. the TZ1A2Zxxxx was a one year trans. they then went with the TZ1A4Zxxxx i think. but it would swap with yours.

you can use any auto trans from
99 - 04 outback,
99 - 04 GT,
and probably a 00 - 04 forester. (forseter did not go phase 2 until 00.)
these are phase 2 auto trans and they all have the 4.44 final drive ratio that you need.

the legacy L, brighton, and impreza all have a 4.11 final drive ratio. you cannot use them unless you swap in the matching rear diff. but i don't recommend it. it will change your power curve a little.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right the number is wrong. The correct number is TZ1A3ZS1BA. I'll fix it in the original post. The new transmission is supposed to be from a 02 Forester and is one of the Japanese import deals.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The correct number is TZ1A3ZS1BA. I'll fix it in the original post. The new transmission is supposed to be from a 02 Forester and is one of the Japanese import deals.
it should work. the only question is the final drive ratio. and as small as my experience is with forester it is dramatically less with jap foresters.

i'm sure it is a low mileage trans, all yhose import parts seem to be. but why not just buy one form here that you know will work. and it may be cheaper.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market put in your zip for what is close.
refer to the list above for what will fit.
you will have to search each year individually.

holler out if you find one and we can confirm the fit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Possiblities

I have a 99 Subi outback with a 5MT (that's all that i know of about the tranny) I was wondering what I could do for a swap because I find it a bit unsettling being about 3500rpms while doing 75mph. Is there a better drivetrain setup that is compatiable with what I have now but have a lower rpm range at those kind of speeds? Is it possible that there's a 6 speed out there that has similar ratios to that of the 5MT?

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Best option would be a 5 speed from a regular Legacy or Impreza (non Outback). It'll be a 3.90 whereas yours is a 4.11. You do need to swap the rear diff or it'll be a short-lived tranny.

6-speed? Empty your pockets. They only live in STi's domestically and go for about $3-4k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 1999 legacy outback limited with an AT, I regret buying a Subaru with an automatic but it was a good deal and I needed a car right away. So I really want to swap in a MT, can anyone help with links for people that have already successfully done this and/or general advice. Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 1999 legacy outback limited with an AT, I regret buying a Subaru with an automatic but it was a good deal and I needed a car right away. So I really want to swap in a MT, can anyone help with links for people that have already successfully done this and/or general advice. Thanks
Searching is your friend. I asked this question less than two weeks ago in the context of my '99 Legacy that was suffering a persistent AT problem (since solved - PEBWAC):

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/111-gen-1-1995-1999/281138-anyone-replaced-their-mt.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
outinthewoods
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing