Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. This is my first post so I'm not sure if anyone will even see this. Anyway. I have swapped a manual transmission into my outback. Everything mechanically is in the car and in good condition. Can anyone tell me what to do with the wiring so I can start to drive my car again? Thank you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
17,907 Posts
That should have been one of the first things you investigated.

What's with the pic of the engine sans oil pump?

Gen 3 up is nothing like swapping a manual in a Gen 2 down.

Short answer - the car's systems are on a CAN-bus and there are things like immobilizer, neutral switch, park lock, reverse lights, ABS/VDC communication, ............ All these are wired together through the main harness.

You need the compete wiring harnesses, computers, and instrument cluster for a manual car. Preferably from the same car. Then the keys have to be programmed to the computer for it to start. Getting the computers and harnesses will also solve the issue with any emissions issue fault codes that would come up due to trying to rewire existing systems.

Put the auto back in, sell it and find a manual car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That should have been one of the first things you investigated.

What's with the pic of the engine sans oil pump?

Gen 3 up is nothing like swapping a manual in a Gen 2 down.

Short answer - the car's systems are on a CAN-bus and there are things like immobilizer, neutral switch, park lock, reverse lights, ABS/VDC communication, ............ All these are wired together through the main harness.

You need the compete wiring harnesses, computers, and instrument cluster for a manual car. Preferably from the same car. Then the keys have to be programmed to the computer for it to start. Getting the computers and harnesses will also solve the issue with any emissions issue fault codes that would come up due to trying to rewire existing systems.

Put the auto back in, sell it and find a manual car.
Well this is a whole lot more fun than selling my first car and buying a new one. I get that it’s not what many people want but I’m not lazy and I’m not going to sell it because I find a small problem. I wanted to ask this community because I thought they were helpful. I don’t want someone to tell me to sell my car. I just needed specifics on wiring because everything else is done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You ask, you receive. Know that there will be issues with the ABS/VDC, as in gone, and you will have warning lights. No cruise control either. The only way around this is like I've posted already. You have to have a donor car with all the electronics and harnesses for a manual setup.

AUTOMATIC CAR

View attachment 539863

View attachment 539864

View attachment 539865

View attachment 539866

View attachment 539867

View attachment 539868

View attachment 539869

View attachment 539870

View attachment 539871

View attachment 539872
I do have a donor car. Do I just need to get the main wiring harness?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,798 Posts
what is the donor car (s) exactly ? (year/ model / engine)

what is the 2007 exactly: a 2.5 plain, a 2.5 turbo, a 3.0 ?

·
Premium Member
17,907 Posts
All of it.

Computers, ABS module/motor, BCM, Instrument Cluster, AC control system if one has Auto AC and the other Manual, inside harness, engine harness, manual trans harness (which should still be attached to the transmission), and if you want to have a trouble free ignition process, swap steering columns.

Then there's the center console and shifter, pedals, flywheel/clutch, transmission crossmember and support assembly, rear diff depending on diff gear ratio differences and the driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
17,907 Posts
It’s a 2.5 turbo 05 OBXT
That changes things with the wire diagrams, but not the change everything from one car to another concept.

A friend of mine in VA swapped in a complete STI drivetrain and computers/harnesses from a sedan to a 5 door Impreza. They were the same year models. The STI was wrecked and put in the Shop/Barn right next to the 5 door. It took him 2 months to swap the STI to the 5 door and had parts and wiring harnesses laid out all over the barn from both cars in the process. (The barn had a concrete floor and wasn't really a "barn" any more.)

Car ran like a bat outa h-ell until he popped a rod. Oops. Now he's going stronger components.

Don't expect an easy swap. Lots of work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That changes things with the wire diagrams, but not the change everything from one car to another concept.

A friend of mine in VA swapped in a complete STI drivetrain and computers/harnesses from a sedan to a 5 door Impreza. They were the same year models. The STI was wrecked and put in the Shop/Barn right next to the 5 door. It took him 2 months to swap the STI to the 5 door and had parts and wiring harnesses laid out all over the barn from both cars in the process. (The barn had a concrete floor and wasn't really a "barn" any more.)

Car ran like a bat outa h-ell until he popped a rod. Oops. Now he's going stronger components.

Don't expect an easy swap. Lots of work.
Not impossible with the donor car though right?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,798 Posts
It’s a 2.5 turbo 05 OBXT
so the donor is a 2005 XT.

is the receiver 2007 a turbo also. ?

we have a couple threads on swapping turbo manuals into an turbo automatic in the 2005-2009 cars. (I was looking but, coming up short on finds)

but,...subaru did lots of big / little changes between 2005 and 2007,...both mechanically and electrically.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so the donor is a 2005 XT.

is the receiver 2007 a turbo also. ?

we have a couple threads on swapping turbo manuals into an turbo automatic in the 2005-2009 cars.

but,...subaru did lots of big / little changes between 2005 and 2007,...both mechanically and electrically.
Turbo yes

·
Premium Member
17,907 Posts
Turbo to turbo makes it easier. The diffs are identical and the engine controls are not much affected. Still need the other modules swapped and harnesses.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,798 Posts
Ok deleted the wiring diagrams posted. (as not its XT to XT)

updating thread title.

Reactions: cardoc

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,798 Posts
2005 XT did not have VDC, 2007 XT Did.

I think one might need another donor for electrical stuff : like a 2007 manual XT.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,798 Posts

·
Registered
'08 Outback XT: Spec. B 6-speed, stage 2, 17 psi. '07 Legacy GT wagon: 5mt, VF52, 19 psi.
86 Posts
Thanks eagleeye.
So if I read that page correctly, all '07 OBXTs got VDC but for whatever reason the LGT only got it if also equipped with nav and the auto trans. My LGT has neither of those so that explains things.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,798 Posts
Thanks eagleeye.
So if I read that page correctly, all '07 OBXTs got VDC but for whatever reason the LGT only got it if also equipped with nav and the auto trans. My LGT has neither of those so that explains things.
too bad, seems to be a choice of production schedule.

its great on 6' of half frozen slop in alternating consistences, ...and they should have made it standard in 2001

1 - 19 of 19 Posts