Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I was about to change the front diff oil on my 2006 3.0R auto last weekend but was thwarted as the drain plug has some sort of star shaped recess that I do not have a tool for.
Anyone know wtf this is and what tool is required? Torx, secutity, polydrive etc....
I need change the rear diff oil as well - is that also some stupid size like most things on this car?

Mark.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Rear is a 13mm square. Although the 1/2" end of a socket wrench can work. Always remove the top plug on the rear first.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Rear is a 13mm square. Although the 1/2" end of a socket wrench can work. Always remove the top plug on the rear first.
LOL - you need to say why. It's so you don't drain the lube and then discover that you can't get the upper plug out......

That T70 tool is rather hard to find - call around first! Most stores only carry the smaller ones. Amazon has one, a high quaity Lisle: ... Lisle 27530 T-70 Torx Bit : Amazon.com : Automotive

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
978 Posts
T70 is normally stocked at AutoZone stores, at least where I am. I bought one when I was there for something else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll do the rear diff first while I source a Torx T70, unfortunately so far none of my friends have one that large. Thanks for the help,
Mark.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good advice about the rear diff - top plug didn't want to move until sprayed with WD40 and left for an hour, same with the drain. Then a hefty shove released them both.
Job done, - there was a small amount of grey sludge on the drain plug magnet, but the oil wasn't too black.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I haven't looked thoroughly, but on cursory examination, I only noticed the torx drain plug on the front diff for my gen 4 3.6 diff. Anyone know where the fill plug is located, before I start crawling, and does it require a torx or a 10mm hex like the rear?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Front differential is filled through the front differential dipstick tube.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Front differential is filled through the front differential dipstick tube.
Thanks again for the crucial information. Didn't know it had a tube.

Figured AT was the only thing I was going to fill up that way?

Is it about a quart like the rear diff on the 3.6?

Why the heck doesn't autozone carry a Chilton's guide for the 3.6 OB? Must not be a large enough DIY demand.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Yes, I believe it's a bit over 1 U.S. qt (1.2 liters).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it is like mine it is hidden ay the back of the engine bay. You fill it through the dipstick hole. I obtained a T70 torx and tried to drain it last week but the fu***er drain plug would not budge.
At least I changed the oil & filter which was well over due. I'll tackle the front diff again when it gets warmer.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Note : Front diff is on Passenger side, Auto transmission on drivers, at least for my 05.

Very important to know!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: I finally did it. It was too cold over winter and the drain plug was a bugger to shift but the job is now done. I bought a 7pc Torx set in the end costing £11 which was not too bad considering just the Torx T70 on its own would be half that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
freddyfuttock
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing