Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this 02 Impreza Outback, 2.5L, 5 speed for about 3 months now. When I try to research/order transaxle parts, I always end up with the wrong parts. I'm beginning to wonder if this car has an engine from a different model year.

Can anyone tell me what identifiers I might find on this transaxle, that would tell me what model year it belongs to?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,171 Posts
I've had this 02 Impreza Outback, 2.5L, 5 speed for about 3 months now. When I try to research/order transaxle parts, I always end up with the wrong parts. I'm beginning to wonder if this car has an engine from a different model year.

Can anyone tell me what identifiers I might find on this transaxle, that would tell me what model year it belongs to?
you might find the # in 2 places.

one on the build plate on the shock tower,

and 2 on top of the trans where it meets the engine. (a white tag with black letters if it is the same as on my automatics, and mine are easy to spot).

hopefully these #s match.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you might find the # in 2 places.

one on the build plate on the shock tower,

and 2 on top of the trans where it meets the engine. (a white tag with black letters if it is the same as on my automatics, and mine are easy to spot).

hopefully these #s match.
AH HA! They do NOT match. Now I need to try and decipher the number on the trans.

Any good Subaru decoders out there?

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
313 Posts
Found it! I have an 03 Forester trans-axle in my Outback.

Used this transmission chart. Subaru Transmission Chart
FYI
So your read diff would have had to be replaced as well, and you should now have 4.11 gearing. (original 3.90)
Your original 2002 cv axles will no longer work and you can use cv axles from 2004-2007 Impreza or 2003-2008 Forester

1 - 5 of 5 Posts