Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 2.5L automatic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have (intermittently) had the AT Oil Temp light begin flashing at me in my '01 2.5L OBW (190k miles). The timing seems to have no rhyme or reason as the light will start flashing as I am driving, then sometimes it will go away when I stop and will stay off for a while, sometimes it sticks around. I have noticed some hesitation when turning, and the car has also basically stalled out a time or two when pulling up to a red light. I talked with my parents' mechanic (for an old school mechanic in a small town, he actually works on quite a few subarus) and he said it sounded like it was the torque converter. Well, when I finally got a chance to get it into a transmission shop while the light was flashing (as I said, it is intermittent) they hooked it up to their computer and it read a Code 79 (torque converter duty solenoid). From reading other posts on here, I gather that indicates some sort of short or open circuit between the TCU and the solenoid, but what I couldn't figure out was how simple this may or may not be to be fixed by a home mechanic, or if it is something that I really need to take in to the dealer or a transmission shop to get fixed.

Additionally, the CEL has recently been (again, intermittently) coming on (checked it with my OBDII reader and it says P0130-front bank O2 sensor/heater). The interesting thing is that, sometimes, after clearing the code, the CEL will come back on <20 miles after clearing the code, other times, the CEL will turn itself off. I replaced the front bank O2 sensor ~3 years/40K miles ago (with a O2 sensor from Subaru), so it seems to me a little odd that I would be having this issue, but maybe I am just suffering from wishful thinking. Did I just get a bad/short life O2 sensor?

·
Registered
288 Posts
79 is transfer duty solenoid malfunction. It is in your oil pan
The 130 means there is a problem with the wiring for your O2 sensor.
Here is ref to fsm.
www.main.experiencetherave.com - /subaru_manual_scans/2000+_Legacy_FSM/
Trannys are the same. FDRs differ but that's about it.
Most of the solenoids are either on the outside of the tranny, or in the oil pan itself.
Some are in the rear housing.
Hope this helps.

O.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts