Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Legacy Outback 5-speed. I know I've been blasting with questions about this car, and everyone has been really helpful; thank you, it's helped a great deal. I checked the dipstick today as I was changing an axle, and it seems bone dry. I checked it a few times and it was always dry. Should I be concerned? It's been sitting for a while, just got it running for the first time yesterday but haven't driven yet ,if that helps any. Thanks again.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,447 Posts
Drain it out (if anything is left) and fill it up again.

Assuming the car wasn't found in a puddle of gear oil you don't have a great way of knowing how long it has been running low or empty, so all you can really do is make it right again and monitor it.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Should I be concerned?
Well, heck yes! I would expect there to be some internal damage, but if there is enough lube remaining to keep all the parts wet (the ring gear is submerged at least a little), you may not need a rebuild yet.

The next thing to figure out is: did some Jiffy Lube moron forget to refill it, or did the oil leak out, and from where?

What does the maintenance history show? Has a pimply faced, underpaid, under trained technician (AKA "doofus") worked on the car in the last year?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,505 Posts
Well, heck yes! I would expect there to be some internal damage, but if there is enough lube remaining to keep all the parts wet (the ring gear is submerged at least a little), you may not need a rebuild yet.

The next thing to figure out is: did some Jiffy Lube moron forget to refill it, or did the oil leak out, and from where?

What does the maintenance history show? Has a pimply faced, underpaid, under trained technician (AKA "doofus") worked on the car in the last year?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
Let it go John. Just let it go. You'll find him one day taking the trash out at the local McD or picking trash up on the sidewalk with a Corrections vest on and then you can remember, Karma works.

Think happy thoughts. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it drained and changed. Just really low. Drove it, everything seems fine, shifts and runs great. Not a bad car for $700 :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts