Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
. . Current daily driver is a 2017 Outback.
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . 2006 Outback Automatic N/A
. . Hello again, , Looking for a spin-on transmission filter. . The Subaru filter number doesn't seem to cross over to any other brand. . I do find a Wix engine oil filter that says it fits the transmission but not looking for a "will fit" unless they actually are the same. . Also see a few no-name filters that say they "will fit" but would buy a Fram before I buy a no-name. .
. . Is my only option the $30 Subaru filter? ?

:iam:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
. . 2006 Outback Automatic N/A
. . Hello again, , Looking for a spin-on transmission filter. . The Subaru filter number doesn't seem to cross over to any other brand. .
. . Is my only option the $30 Subaru filter? ?

:iam:

amazon subaru dealers want $26 for a
Subaru 38325AA032 Automatic Transmission Filter

it is a unique long life product,

the aftermarkets are short term, and may not flow right when they are new or old.

_____

I would not put a aftermarket on, I have taken brand new aftermarkets off to throw in the garbage and put on OEM ones. If you don't feel like changing it and have had no problems keep what you got if its the OEM one.

how many miles you got on it?

·
Registered
'07 Outback 3.0R LL Bean, '74 BMW 2002, '65 Datsun L320, '99 Land Cruiser
223 Posts
I would just pay the $26 if you really have to do it, but you're not actually supposed to change it. IIRC there's no real replacement interval for it, and it should only be changed if it's been damaged.

If you really think you have to do it, then there's this option:
https://www.amazon.com/ATP-B-198-Au...TF8&qid=1513287551&sr=8-2&keywords=38325AA032

I usually google Subaru part numbers or search for them on Amazon to find OE quality replacement parts for much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,754 Posts
I would only change it if I ever dropped the trans pan or opened its case, put an incorrect fluid in the trans, or there was a physical problem with the filter.

it's there to catch any debris from assembly at initial start-up.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
I change it with every fluid change. You don't change the oil filter once in a lifetime for your engine, do you? Trans fluid is no different. I'd even say the trans fluid could carry MORE debris due to system design. The ATF filter is literally an engine oil filter: pleated media with an internal bypass and anti-drainback valve. The "will fit" is because it has the size, thread, media, and approx. same bypass pressure as the OE. A fluid filter is a fluid filter. The only thing that changes are the media and bypass pressure.

Nothing is exactly like the Subaru filter: if it was, they'd be in a lawsuit for patent infringement. I've had good success with the Wix equivalent for the "behind the battery" filters (for the 5EAT-Outbacks) and the ATP/Pro-King filters for the "direct thread-on" 4EAT. Granted, I change it every 30K miles, but at $8/ea, that's fine by me.

Even at $26, if you only change it every 100K, how many more are you going to buy?

·
Premium Member
18,754 Posts
while it does share some features with an engine oil filter, you can find cut-away pics that show it is different internally. More like a screen. If you put an eng. oil filter on the trans, it probably just stays in bypass.

I would only run the OEM filter if I replaced it. (some 3rd party 'may' have cloned it but, I'm unaware of it)

There's no combustion products in the trans, no regular forced exposure to air or fuel from the 'outside world', etc. I don't think changing it is a bad idea, just not necessary.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Buy the Subaru filter, you're only changing it once, no big deal.

You don't change the oil filter once in a lifetime for your engine, do you? Trans fluid is no different. I'd even say the trans fluid could carry MORE debris due to system design.
Transmission schedules are derived from transmission data, not guessing based on engines.

They're quite different, engine oil is coming into contact with 10's of thousands of explosions (combustion byproducts), tens of thousands of cubic feet of ambient air, and getting partially burned in the cylinders. The transmission is not. Transmissions are closed systems, engines are not.

A used oil analysis of both fluids will show quite a bit of difference because of that. That's what drives transmission maintenance recommendations - it's all physical quantitative properties, not guess work, assumptions, or anecdotes.
Which is why transmission and engine oil recommendations are so different.

If a transmission filter was actually clogged - then failure is likely imminent, they don't randomly accumulate large amounts of particulate. Still a good idea to replace at least once or so or how ever often you like.

Prior to 1999 Subaru never used an external transmission filter and they were robust well performing machines back then and still are. Since they were internal the filter media wasn't covered and could be seen. You could pull the internal filters at 200,000 miles and they'd be essentially spotless, to the point that most people that have done a few of them realized they were pointless to replace. Granted they were screens and not typical filter media you'd see in an engine oil filter.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,163 Posts
no external spin ons before 1999,? and then phased out around 2009.

______

I would think the other reason to swap one would be buying a used car with really old ATF fluid in it, turning from brown to black. getting flecks in it. 4EAT and 5EAT still running fine though, and just needing a couple drain and fills to get all the old crap out..

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
I'll clarify, I do not believe the transmission fluid cycle is the same as the engine fluid cycle. There is a reason for the fluid change intervals, obviously, but when Subaru suggests 30K miles for "Severe" service and 105-120k for "Normal" service for transmission fluid, I tend to believe it's a CYA move from Subaru more-so than hard-data. Realistically: little of column A, little of column B.

Buy the Subaru filter, you're only changing it once, no big deal.

Transmission schedules are derived from transmission data, not guessing based on engines.

They're quite different, engine oil is coming into contact with 10's of thousands of explosions (combustion byproducts), tens of thousands of cubic feet of ambient air, and getting partially burned in the cylinders. The transmission is not. Transmissions are closed systems, engines are not.

A used oil analysis of both fluids will show quite a bit of difference because of that. That's what drives transmission maintenance recommendations - it's all physical quantitative properties, not guess work, assumptions, or anecdotes.
Which is why transmission and engine oil recommendations are so different.

If a transmission filter was actually clogged - then failure is likely imminent, they don't randomly accumulate large amounts of particulate. Still a good idea to replace at least once or so or how ever often you like.

Prior to 1999 Subaru never used an external transmission filter and they were robust well performing machines back then and still are. Since they were internal the filter media wasn't covered and could be seen. You could pull the internal filters at 200,000 miles and they'd be essentially spotless, to the point that most people that have done a few of them realized they were pointless to replace. Granted they were screens and not typical filter media you'd see in an engine oil filter.
Subaru DID have to retro-fit external fluid filters for the SVX, Legacy, and MY96 Outback. It was part of a recall for trans failures. Granted, it was due to (supposedly) the excessive "shedding" from the torque converter clutch material clogging the trans cooler and pump.

But logic would ask why Subaru thought it necessary to ADD an external filter to the Phase 2 4EAT when the Phase 1 was "doing fine" without it since 1988? It was even designed into the 5EAT as well.

But the system is far from sealed. The 4EAT, 5EAT, and CVT all have external case vents that can and do draw air, unfiltered. The ATF also absorbs water (as it's hydroscopic). Albeit, not in the same quantity as the engine, but it's still there. Let alone the wear metals from the bearings, friction discs, valve body, the transfer clutch and the torque converter.

In short, while it's hardly necessary to change it every 30K, it can't hurt. Especially if you tow, race, or off-road your Subaru.

·
Registered
19,508 Posts
. . .The ATF filter is literally an engine oil filter: pleated media with an internal bypass and anti-drainback valve. The "will fit" is because it has the size, thread, media, and approx. same bypass pressure as the OE. A fluid filter is a fluid filter. . . .
The Subaru ATF filter does have pleated media, and anti-drainback valve, but it does not have an internal bypass valve. It's quite different in this respect from most, if not all, spin-on engine oil filters. Instead of the bypass valve there's a cylindrical fine screen. In http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...762-subaru-transmission-filter-different.html, the Subaru filter was disassembled, and compared to other filters that claimed to be the same, but on examination, were not. (Unfortunately, the links to Photobucket no longer work due to the site's change of rules but there are apps that might get around the broken links - see below). I think I still have the disassembled Subaru filter(s) and can post a photo or two if you'd like.

·
Premium Member
18,754 Posts
somewhat OT but, FireFox, I think Chrome and other browsers have add-ons that can allow viewing PB images.

at least unti PB finds a way to lock them out.

(I use Photobucket Hotlink for firefox (by bridgetroll)

I just saw every image at your linked thread. (except fansrocket's post - maybe he removed them?)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
I'll clarify, I do not believe the transmission fluid cycle is the same as the engine fluid cycle.
oh yeah, of course, i was just stating the difference, not what you believed.

ha ha - vent tubes good one! that is true, they wouldn't be entirely closed. are you going to install a filter on your front and rear differentials with vent tubes? still not quite 10's of thousands of cubic feet of air and 1,000+ degree combustion chamber temps.

i'm not saying it shouldn't have one, or that changing it is a bad idea, just that 300,000 mile longevity does not lie in strict ATF filter regimens.

Subaru DID have to retro-fit external fluid filters for the SVX, Legacy,
and early 90-91 legacy's with clogging issues...all platform specific issues as you stated. those same 4EAT transmissions had robust performance in the rest of the line up. by and large most older subaru owners/aficionado's are not adding filters. because only gamblers buy older subaru's? no, but because there's decades, millions of vehicles, and billions of miles of history of 4EAT data which indicate an ATF filter isn't all that necessary.

But logic would ask why Subaru thought it necessary to ADD an external filter
Same year they added the filter they also used a weak seal which causes the 1999 delayed forward engagement into drive transmission issue. Changes do not necessarily derive from, or cause, mechanical improvements. Why did Subaru "add" weak headgaskets, less reliable timing belt tensioners, more 4WD failures, more wheel bearing failures, additional brake caliper failure modes, thinner oil control rings...

·
Premium Member
18,754 Posts
I'm not sure where final assembly of the trans occurs, but I believe JATCO supplies them to Subaru. If their internal process changed, leading to more failures, it may be that Subaru elected to add the filter to the spec ?

·
Registered
19,508 Posts
somewhat OT but, FireFox, I think Chrome and other browsers have add-ons that can allow viewing PB images.

at least unti PB finds a way to lock them out.

(I use Photobucket Hotlink for firefox (by bridgetroll)

I just saw every image at your linked thread. (except fansrocket's post - maybe he removed them?)
Thanks for that!

There was a discussion of "fixes" in http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...osts-update-broken-pic-links-photosuckit.html, and at the end the "administrator" said they're working on more general fix (not requiring each viewer to install the fix individually.

I found a Chrome app that still seems to work. (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...d-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon?hl=en).
@RoughDiamond FYI.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru OUtback XT
90 Posts
I'm not sure where final assembly of the trans occurs, but I believe JATCO supplies them to Subaru. If their internal process changed, leading to more failures, it may be that Subaru elected to add the filter to the spec ?
The thing to check is the other manufactures that use this transmission in their vehicles to see if they have this filter setup. I do not know what other cars use the JATCO trans.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,163 Posts
The thing to check is the other manufactures that use this transmission in their vehicles to see if they have this filter setup. I do not know what other cars use the JATCO trans.

its like all the Japanese car companies without Honda and Toyota,...and here and there they sell to some US and European brands.

(probably a more complete list out there and wikipedia. but Jatco is really big).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatco

I was trying to find such spin on ATF things for Nissan and Mazda for 2006 on a dealer site and did not find any
...but I am thinking the 4EAT and 5EAT that they make for subaru are unique.
(and maybe all the designs Jatco makes are individualized to the application).

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0R
34 Posts
while it does share some features with an engine oil filter, you can find cut-away pics that show it is different internally. More like a screen. If you put an eng. oil filter on the trans, it probably just stays in bypass.

I would only run the OEM filter if I replaced it. (some 3rd party 'may' have cloned it but, I'm unaware of it)

There's no combustion products in the trans, no regular forced exposure to air or fuel from the 'outside world', etc. I don't think changing it is a bad idea, just not necessary.
I agree, I don't think it is worth changing if the transmission is working well. Isn't this a fit for life part?

·
Registered
Outback 2.0XT, Audi TTq, Ducati M750
333 Posts
I just changed mine to a new OEM during the swap, make sure to prime it with fluid before install. I figure its piece of mind, and since I only used one new bottle for the refill I wanted to make sure the fluid was in top-spec otherwise. A trans cooler will go on in the spring and I'll just top off the fluid, otherwise the trans in done.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
The Subaru ATF filter does have pleated media, and anti-drainback valve, but it does not have an internal bypass valve. It's quite different in this respect from most, if not all, spin-on engine oil filters. Instead of the bypass valve there's a cylindrical fine screen. In http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...762-subaru-transmission-filter-different.html, the Subaru filter was disassembled, and compared to other filters that claimed to be the same, but on examination, were not. (Unfortunately, the links to Photobucket no longer work due to the site's change of rules but there are apps that might get around the broken links - see below). I think I still have the disassembled Subaru filter(s) and can post a photo or two if you'd like.
The thread linked above is the reason I put a Subaru OEM Transmission filter on my used transmission when it was installed. For $30 it was peace of mind to me that I had a filter that met the spec. I usually do a drain and fill once a year to keep the fluid fresh. Is any of that needed? I don't know but it's cheaper than a new transmission!

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback, 4EAT, 2.5i Limited, Blue
83 Posts
This is one of those items you just pucker up and buy OEM from the dealership. From what i've gathered when I did change it is that the filter is unique and not just a rebrand of another filter costing less w/o the subaru badge on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.