Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry, I've got another question..

I've got a bit of an oil leak from the transmission, could be the screw on filter, or the sump.

I've done a bit of reading on the net, but I can't find a clear answer unfortunally.
It's a 2001 Outback 2.5 liter with an automatic gearbox.
The screw on filter is pretty obvious, also not cheap, in Australia that is, the local Subaru dealer quoted me $81.
The real questions are; is there another filter under the sump? And is there a gasket available? Or do I need to use a sealant?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,336 Posts
There is another filter in the sump but it shouldn't be replaced unless you've got the pan off.

The twist on filter is super easy to do. Same process as an engine oil filter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pan needs to come off, it needs new gasket.. Gearbox isn't the smoothest either, so I want to do an oil change too.
But I read different things, one says a filter, another says it's just a screen.. Is there a normal gasket available? Or do I need to use sealant?

What I understand is that there are 2 different type of autos, depends on the year? This where I get confused..

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
974 Posts
In Australia you can get an aftermarket Ryco filter for the external spin on filter (Z709 from memory) for this gearbox which should be cheaper then the OEM ($21.95 from sparesbox on ebay with free delivery)

I believe there is also a screen filter inside the gearbox (Ryco reference guide shows RTK63) but this may not need replacing.

I also believe there is no gasket for the sump just sealant and the field service manual does not show a gasket although the Ryco RTK63 filter kit seems to come with a gasket for the sump.

You will need to confirm these are the correct filters for you vehicle and you can do so using your VIN number (the BH or BH9 section of the VIN)

Seagrass

1 - 5 of 5 Posts