Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

May as well treat this like AA.... "My name is Centuriondk and I'm an idiot..."

I foolishly assumed that the drain plug for the oil on my legacy would look like the one one my Jetta and accidentally drained about a cup - cup and a half of transmission fluid. (I stuck the plug back in as soon as my brain processed that the color of the stuff coming out meant that it was not oil...)

I spoke with my local dealer, left a voicemail with the service guy and afterwards spoke to the manager who said that he wouldn't worry about it unless I noticed drivability issues (which I haven't, other than that Subaru's have acceleration similar to that of a geriatric mule).

Today the service guy called back and said that he would recommend bringing it in and it would cost ~$150 for them to check/top off the transmission fluid.

All of the threads I've found online have dealt with people who accidentally drained all the fluid so it hasn't helped me much with figuring out what to do.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,799 Posts
What year is your car and how many miles on it?

I ask because if you're close to 30-36k you might as well have the dealer do a drain and refill.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5i with CVT
44 Posts
How are you able to drain or fill anything on a 5th gen? I was told at my dealer and read through research that it was a sealed unit and requires no maintenance. There is also no stick to check the level either so how would the dealer know what the correct level is? The manual is of no help as it states to contact the dealer. I'm curious to know what the dealer is going to tell you and do for you.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,259 Posts
How are you able to drain or fill anything on a 5th gen?
The CVT has both a drain plug and a fill plug ... just like most differentials.

... how would the dealer know what the correct level is?
The procedure is described in detail in the Factory Service Manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The drain plug is a standard hex plug like oil plugs on most cars, just located father back... It is advisable not to drain it like I did since there's no good method to fill it back in outside of going to the dealer.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
CVT is highly dependent on a exact fluid level and very specific fluid. I would have the dealer do the cvt fluid level check and top off asap. You wouldn’t be the first to suffer a failed cvt due to draining the wrong pan.

The subaru engines are very very short if you need to extend your arm to reach the plug you missed the oil drain ie went right by it.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,354 Posts
If I was going to spend money taking care of this I certainly wouldn't shell out $150 for just a check and topping it off. If you are that far into it might as well kick in whatever it takes to do a drain and fill. Might not be necessary but at least I would feel like I got something out of the deal. Of course they might just top it off and charge for a drain and fill and you wouldn't ever know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts