Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing a transmission in a 2002 outback 4 cylinder auto trans. After removing the transmission i noticed that my transmission has different cv axles. The one out of my car uses the new style 1 piece CV joint & stub axle with two male ends and the one i'm putting in has the older style with one end male and one end female. This is the only transmission i could find for my car within 100 miles. Should I return it or would buying the other style cv axles work? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
the trans has axle stubs that pop in and are held by a cir-clip. when you removed the axles with the 2 male ends you did not remove the roll pin which holds the axle stubs to the inner cup. no biggie, the axle stubs they pop back in. but you don't need them on the bad trans. to re-use your axles, use a 3/16 inch punch to drive out the roll pin on the inner cup. the inner cups on the cv half shaft is a female splined unit. it receives the axle stubs which are also splined. a roll pin hold the 2 together.

note, because there are an odd number of splines, if the inner cup and the stub axle are 180 degrees off the roll pin hole will not line up.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
what he said - it is not a different style transmission, the stubby shafts were just pulled out of the trans.

simply pull the stubs out of your old transmission and install them in the new one - they have a big circlip on the back and just pop into place, nothing hard or tricky about it. it just seems weird the first time you do it...like "that's it?" for what seems like such an important part!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thanks for your help. However, just to make sure. I have a link that explains what I am talking about as far as the cv axle differences. We bought the car as a salvage so I'm not 100% sure the original trans is "Original". I will double check but i think the axles I have are strictly male and cannot be separated. Are there other years where the axles are male only? If I am wrong than great! this will save me from buying a new transmission. if they are different will buying the older style axles work? thanks for your replies
Untitled Document

·
Registered
17,020 Posts
I think some cars started getting the 'male' axles in 2005 so, maybe there's confusion on what transmission is in the donor car?

from your link, do the axles have the small diameter section as shown here?

if so, look for the axle pin.

I think the new ones (2005 or 6+ )look like this;

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe so. there are tags on the top of the bell housing on both transmissions. I'm not sure if that can tell us what year it is but I can get those tomorrow when i can get to the transmission. But if it is a different year than it looks like replacing the axles should work :).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe they are the new style because there is no axle pin hole. Since that means the transmission in the car is a different year than the original then it looks like the one I have to replace it is the correct one (or at least the older model). I would just have to buy the correct axles. thanks

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i would be surprised if the trans in question will work in your car. but i have no first hand experience with anything newer than 02. but the rule of thumb regarding the swap of the an auto trans is, if the first 6 characters of the trans code number on the bell housing are the same it will work, IF the final drive ratios are the same.

so list your 2 tans number and compare. it sounds like the one you bought is not from 00 - 03/4? year group; which is what you need. if so take it back. and then look for one at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market . sort by distance, shipping cost me $150 extra, SC to VA.

good luck.

·
Registered
16,405 Posts
IF the final drive ratios are the same.
Probably more important than finding axles that have the right configuration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am having troubles getting the pictures loaded but here they are. It looks like the first 6 digits are the same :). Are these the tags you were talking about? thanks. the picture on the bottom of the document is the one out of the car. The one on top is the one we purchased

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are the part numbers. It looks like the first 6 digits are the same. were these the part numbers you were talking about? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
16,405 Posts
Will have to leave the answer to your specific question to canubaru

However, I would note that canubaru did say:

if the first 6 characters of the trans code number on the bell housing are the same it will work, IF the final drive ratios are the same.
(bold added)

In other words, if the first 6 characters are the same, the transmissions can be used interchangeably, but only if the differential gear ratios are the same. Transmissions with identical first 6 characters could have different differential final drive ratios.

Incidentally, this has been the bane of many here seeking to replace a defective transmission with one that looks the same. As far as I know, none of the characters, not just the first 6, are related to (i.e., indicate) the final gear ratio.

The best way around this dilemma seems to be to find a replacement used transmission from the same car (year, model, engine). An alternative is to install both the transmission and the rear differential from a donor car -- assuming the donor parts are originals, that will ensure that the front and rear differentials have the matching gear ratios.

Wish it could be easier, but not as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
the trans are the same except for the axle differences. they were used in different years, but still the same trans and interchangeable.

i would follow the instructions for modding the trans to use your axles. if that is what was in the attached page above. i know it talked about modding something to do with axles but i did not read it.

unless you can get axles for the new trans and use them in your existing hubs. i have no experience or knowledge with the new axles.

from opposedforces.com/parts , i have absolutely no idea what the destination code refers to.

part number.................................trans code #...........build dates
31000AE810
...........................TZ1A4ZCDBA .... '01, February — '02, May
31000AF250 ..........................TZ1A4ZCEBA .... '02, January — '03, June
31000AF740Destination code: U6...TZ1A4ZCFAC .... '03, January — '04, February

link to part number page is below, car info is at the top of the linked page.
if you click on the part number and then on the ''usage info'' on the new page, it will show you the cars the trans was used on /in.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_21/automatic_transmission/at_transmission_assembly/

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
As far as I know, none of the characters, not just the first 6, are related to (i.e., indicate) the final gear ratio.
in the late 90s, the character after the second ''z'' was always a 2 for the ej25 car, and therefore the 4.44 final drive ratio.

but i have not found any correlation to that in the '00s .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you. This is very helpful. Now all I need to do is find out if i can either retrofit the axles from this car or purchase the other axles( and if the other axles will even work). Ill research this further. Once again thanks :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts