Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 outback 2.5
Trans: tz1a4zccba-LL
After changing the head gaskets and reinstalling the engine my transmission doesn’t engage into any gear other than park.
I’ve checked for crushed wires and where the linkage connects on the side of the transmission and it does move when going through the gears but doesn’t engage them. Before pulling the engine the transmission worked fine so I have no idea what it could be and researching online has led me nowhere so I figured I’d ask here for any advice or tips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are your torque converter bolts?
I put them back, but is there a specific way the have to be, there didn’t sound like there was any grinding or any strange noises when I started the car so I thought it was all installed right.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS & 2000 OB
187 Posts
You have to remove the radiator to remove the engine, which means disconnecting the trans cooling lines, which means you lost a little fluid. How's the trans fluid level look?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to remove the radiator to remove the engine, which means disconnecting the trans cooling lines, which means you lost a little fluid. How's the trans fluid level look?
Replaced the harness incase of it being crushed and replaced the lost fluid

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,246 Posts
So the engine is running, the transmission is not coming out of park. If you have it in neutral, does it roll?

Without knowing the steps you took to work on the engine, it will be difficult to narrow it down.

Did you take the engine and trans out together?
When you mated the engine to the trans was there any issue with the engine coming together with the front diff bell housing? No forcing the two together?
There's really not way to pinch the trans harness when installing the engine. It runs down the front of the trans to the side for the range selector, valve body, and back to the speed sensors.
When you jacked up the trans, did you happen to dent the pan?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trans comes out of park but it just rolls when going thru the gears, trans did not come out of the car and was easy to mate back together, no denting on the pan from jacking it as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,085 Posts
when you pulled the engine, was the torque converter unbolted from the flexplate or did you take it with the engine?
If the latter, how did you reinstall the torque converter?

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,187 Posts
Did you check if the torque converter was properly seated before you mated the engine to it?

Most Subaru transmissions are damaged if the torque converter is sitting out too far and the engine is bolted to the transmission. From memory, the transmission pump gets damaged when the engine and transmission are bolted together forcefully using the engine bolts.

Seagrass

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,187 Posts
The pump is part of the transmission and if you think you have broken this you need to pull the engine again and reseat the torque converter properly before you fix the transmission pump.

I have never had to replace the transmission pump but hopefully others that have will be able to give more information. I am not certain if the transmission needs to be removed or whether the pump can be replaced while the transmission is still in the vehicle.

Seagrass

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the pump in the pan or is it inside the transmission where the torque converter is?

·
Registered
17,455 Posts
Is the pump in the pan or is it inside the transmission where the torque converter is?
It's sandwiched between the front differential and the main section of the transmission. Not usually replaced when fails, due to the work involved.

Left to right: Torque converter (two circles one over the other), front differential (large circle at the bottom), pump (#1 area, vertical, like a piece of cheese in a sandwich), transmission, tail section (with AWD transfer clutch, #12).

·
Registered
17,455 Posts
Probably easiest to just replace the transmission then?
If the pump is damaged, that is usually the approach, but it's because of the work involved, and not that it can't be done.

Just a thought . . .In your case, when the engine has been off for at least 15 minutes or so, where is the ATF level on the dipstick? Then, if when the engine is started, the level drops to near the "Cold" marks, the pump is working.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,246 Posts
Transtar, Subaru, eBay

The above is out of who know what. It says 2012 and it also says it fits from 2005. Could be a 5 speed pump.

After you pull the transmission you have to separate the front differential, then you can get to the pump.

Do you have a spec sheet for torque?
Do you have a process of breakdown for the trans?

I think you should start with what's been mentioned. Or, give us more info in what transpired. It could save you time and money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts