Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99' OB Ltd 2.5 SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 99'OB with AT. It has a strange behavior - the tranny hesitate when shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear and from 3rd to 4th whenever the first start. After that, everything become normal. One mechanic told me that this is normal for a car with 90K+kms. Is anyone experience the same?

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
"Whenever you first start".....I assume you mean when you first start driving in the mornings with a stone cold engine ? If that's the case, then it could be normal behaviour. The ECU programs the transmission to hold on to the gears a bit longer, in order for the cat converter to heat up. Sometimes it even refuses to select 4th / overdrive until it's sufficiently warm.

If the above is not the case, and the delay between shifts is more than a few seconds, then there may be a problem.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I wouldn't know, as my '98 is a manual shift. But I would suggest the obvious first - check the fluid to see if the level is correct, and the color is still red instead of blackened.

Oh, another old trick - hold the dipstick in the sunlight, and look closely to see if you can spot the glimmer of tiny flakes of metal tunring in the fliud as it flows on the stick.

·
Registered
99' OB Ltd 2.5 SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean whenever the first start after the car stood more that 4 hours no matter it is day or night. And I just changed the Tranny's oil a couple days ago.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
4 hours is long enough to have a cold start program selected by the ECU I would think, how long does this behaviour last for 5min, 10 min? Also by hesitates do you mean it holds the gears longer than usual or it pauses during the shift?

·
Registered
99' OB Ltd 2.5 SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, it will only last for 1-2 mins and disappear after the engine is warm up. It pauses for a sec when shifts and you can feel it too!!

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
In this case, all I can say is it sounds normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts