Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, I have an 08 Tribeca, but SB9T(dot)com is pretty much dead so hoping someone here can help.
143K miles. Bought from the dealer at 100K First thing was that I noticed I was revving high because the vehicle hadn't shifted. Then the dash lit up - AT Temp, cruise blinking, traction control light, CEL. I pulled a code and it came up p0705.

I read on my phone via the internet to turn the car off and restarted it, which reset everything - sometimes. It will drive fine for a couple of miles and then same thing. That was the first day until I got home. Then I tried starting and it wouldn't start. Sometimes when you turn the key you get nothing other than the dash/radio/etc. Other times the starter will turn but only 3 -4 times and then dead. You can hold the key over and allow it to cycle a few times and it will start the car - (clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk - dead; clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk - dead; clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk - VROOOOOOOM)

I've now noticed that sitting and idling in my driveway, sometimes reverse and drive will engage fine, and other times not. Interestingly, when reverse doesn't engage, the "R" doesn't illuminate on the dash and the backup camera does NOT come on either. Same is true regarding other gears - the current transmission position only displays intermittently on the dash above the steering wheel. (P, R, N, D)

I put the car up and dropped the pan. There was a little slurry on the magnet but the fluid was dark. I noticed there was fluid on the edge of the pan and one of my lines was leaking, so I was hopeful that I was just low and maybe a failsafe had kicked in. In total, I drained 5 qts with the pan dropped. I put back 5.5 qts and tried to see if that would help but none of the symptoms have gone away. In fact, now I can't get the vehicle to start. Same symptom as above just never starts. I didn't notice any issues with the wires while I was under the car.

Does that sound like a likely valve body? Is my no start/hard start condition likely related or do you think my starter is probably also going bad. The alternator and battery have tested fine.

Thanks so much for any input. I have a valve body ordered from the dealership, but I can't return the part after I pick it up and I can't drive the car. Both the dealer and my mechanic want $400-600 labor to install the valve body. That seems high for what I've seen done on a bench in 8 minutes on youtube, but I hate to install the valve body and that not be the fix. I'm at a crossroads here. Roll the dice on the valve body?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds almost like wiring issues, maybe lost a ground or a rodent got in there and started chewing, it happened to my Tundra.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts