Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 outback
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 outback with 125,000 - the transmission has just started jerking badly when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, no matter how hard the car is, or is not, accelerating. Sort of like a big bump, could be coming from the back differential, tho not sure.

Other gears shift smoothly. Any thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
98 Outback
4 Posts
Transmission jerk

The very first thing that came to my mind is the fluid.

First, have you checked the level?

Secondly, do you know if the transmission fluid has ever been changed? I changed mine at 120,000, when I bought it, just as a preventative measure. It's not difficult, but a lift is helpful to clean all of the old gasket material off before reinstalling the pan. I would suggest changing the fluid first, due to the low cost.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1998 Outback limited
4 Posts
Hmm. I think I have this very same problem.

I also have a 98OBL. I have slight anxiety as I accelerate from first to second, because it does do that 'jerk' thang if I accelerate in a certain way. Doesn't do it always, but it is frustrating.

Guess I'll watch this post, to see if there's some solutions.

·
Registered
OBW 97 2.5 Auto
1 Posts
tranny jerk

Same problem with a 97 OBW 2.5. The 1st to 2nd shifting gets jerky when applying moderate acceleration from stand still. All other gears shift nicely. Also 2nd wants to stick as it peaks out between 22-27mph (2500rpm). Doesn't want to let it drop to 3rd when approaching coast speed. Problem is more noticeable when tranny is cold.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Yeah same situation here, '97OBW, 150k.

I'm pretty much positive that this is a 1st Gen. Subaru 4AT Tranny thing, very common. I've gotten used to it though so it doesn't bother me.

I've been shifting into "3" gear lately when accelerating up hills, even relatively small ones. I find that I get a lot more torque there, in "D" I can actually hear the people behind me screaming at me from their cars...
Once I reach the crest of the hill I just push the car back into "D"...

I just got my first $100 Subaru Rewards check (everyone get that MasterCard if you don't have one yet) and a Tranny Service is high on my list of things to splurge it on...though I really really want one of the rear spoilers for the wagons. If I stay responsible and get the tranny done, I'll be sure to report back on any changes.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. Ed
82 Posts
Tranny Service... what all does that involve? Pulling the pan, changing the filter (is there even an accessible filter?), adjusting the bands? Or just draining/changing the fluid?

Inquiring minds (and empty minds, in my case) want to know...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts