Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 2005 4sp automatic and I changed my trans. fluid and the gear oil the other day. Now when I accelerate the car makes a screeching noise from under the car. It mainly does it when it's cold. Gears change fine and are smooth. Goes into gear fine. Nothing out of the ordinary just the screeching. I have no idea what it is. Any thoughts? I used Mobil 1 trans fluid. thanks

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
are you positive you added front diff gear oil and the proper fluid in the proper location?

they will screen when they don't have fluid in them - check it immediately.

if it had zero problems ever - and then did after you did work - you can guarantee something went amiss.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I followed these directions that i have attached. I am positive i put the oil back in the right spot. I check the gear oil after i let it out and there was none in it. then i added gear oil and it was full. Same with transmission.

It only happens when it's cold and at take off. after it warms up it seems fine. At least I think... I dont hear it. wonder if i should drain the gear oil again and add new? I have put prob. 500 miles on it since and everything seems fine except for the noise. But there has to be something wrong..... ?

Attachments

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,711 Posts
what car?

at fluid checked while idling?

any other service done at the same time?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's a 2005 outback 4cyl non turbo, 4sp auto,

I had a front axel replaced about 3 days before. But no noise till I changed the fluid.

well you got me second guessing my self if it was running when i checked it. so i just went and checked the fluid while running and it's low. did not touch bottom of dip stick. I put 5 1/2 quarts back in. i did change the filter also.
guess that could be it?

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
different people seem able to get different amounts out. depends on whether they lift one side with a scissor jack, slope of the floor/driveway, etc.

But, best way I have found to check levels in the auto, take out the stick, wipe it, set aside. Start the car, move the shifter to each gear for 10 seconds or so, then back to park. Then, wait another minute or 2, then check the level. I personally feel it's best to check the HOT temps with the car at operating temp. If it's low, only add a half-pint to a pint at a time. Then, wait a coupla minutes for the fluid to drain from the tube before checking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help. i think it was the low fluid. this morning.... no noise. keeping my fingers crossed! cant believe i over looked that. thanks again.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
even though I know the engine must be running, I momentarily scared myself right before a last-minute road trip. I was checking fluids and tires, etc. Pulled th dipstick for the tranmsmission, and started to tell my wife we may have to rent a car!

it happens. Since you now have the correct amount in the transmission, you could scribe the dipstick at the non-idling level to use ONLY as a rough guide without starting the car. use the corner of a file.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts