Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Outback has a cold idle vibration (but only in drive, not in neutral). When I say cold I mean 40 degrees (5 degrees Canadian) or colder. Once the engine warms up, it is gone. I have already replaced the spark plugs as they were due anyways.

So my next area to look is transmission/engine mounts. Does this transmission mount look suspect:

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
945 Posts
Hard to say - doesn't look visibly torn. I haven't heard of a lot of engine/transmission mount issues with Subarus, that said I guess all rubber components will wear over time and could contribute.

Have you done an ATF drain and fill recently? If not you might want to try that, tends to smooth out stuff to get some fresh fluid in there.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have drained the ATF in the last 20K miles. Currently level is good, fluid very red.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
945 Posts
Cool. Well I see from the other thread that someone was successful eliminating the vibration with a new mount so I guess that's a good lead. I'd still bench test the IAT sensor as I pointed out in the other thread.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,212 Posts
Block all 4 wheels, set the brake. Lay down next to the car and watch the transmission mount as someone puts the car in and out of gear. See if the transmission jumps. The mount could be torn (although I agree it doesn't look it) and not be visible until torque is put on it.
Alternatively, you could set up a camera under the car to record it.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R Ltd RIP 2006 Baja Turbo
119 Posts
This thread might help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts