Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after changing out the clutch and flywheel and getting everything back together I have a lot of transmission play. I can literally grab the exhaust and move the whole transmission. I know there should be some play, but to me its quite excessive. Motor mounts and transmission mount all look ok to me. Sorry this is on a 01 outback wagon. All nuts and bolts torqued to spec. Any ideas that could help would be very appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
The transmission mount bushings will compress over time. The two outer bolts hold the base to the crossmember, the center is a "safety" that stops upward movement should the bushings become compressed/loose or break, and is attached to the top plate.

A new mount would tighten it up.

·
Registered
16,294 Posts
Could the "dogbone" support between the top of the bell housing and the firewall be loose or not re-connected?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dog bone was a bit loose I believe and possibly not set right. I loosened the dog bone to motor bolt/nut and jacked the tranny up a bit and tightened again. Same with with the tranny exhuast mount bolt. So with the tranny jacked up I noticed the o2 sensor was actually sitting about even in its access hole. Not jacked up it is basically almost sitting on the heat shield. I assume this would mean the bushings are compressed or that something is not set right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
tluv12
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing